BBC 4 Guitar, Drums and Bass

What's Hot
This starts tonight with Stewart Copeland talking about being a drummer. I think next week Tina Weymouth on bass then Lenny Kaye on guitar. 
Sounds interesting from the promo stuff I've heard with Stewart. 
Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 360
    Thanks for that.  Looks interesting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 8022
    Lenny Kaye ( if I've got that right) seems a less obvious choice. I watched a few random clips on YouTube of him and he seems to be a bit of a raconteur so presumably that translates into being a reasonable presenter. 
    Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 6271
    Lenny Kaye as in Patti Smith?
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 4685
    Set to record. Thanks for the heads up.
    It might look like I'm listening to you, but in my head I'm playing my guitar.
    Lenny Kaye as in Patti Smith?
    I think that's him. In a fortnight if I've got it right. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 4505
    Essentially, a potted history of the instrument, conversations with fellow practitioners and some practical examples. 

Right near the end, Copeland managed to insert one small dig at Sting.
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 1860
    Some great Bonham worship from Taylor Hawkins too.
    Is this a series? - I don't know where it could go after this. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ewalewal Frets: 1049
    Watched a couple of minutes. I was pleasantly surprised to see Mr Copeland had quite short legs for his height... I can identify with this.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 6620
    was good, but looking forward to being heavily disappointed when it gets to the guitar ep...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Next week is about guitar
  • dindudedindude Frets: 6219
    I liked it, Stewart was an enthusiastic host and both respectful and respected to all those he met along the way. Let’s see how the others go....
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 5868
    edited January 12
    mellowsun said:
    Some great Bonham worship from Taylor Hawkins too.
    Next week is about guitar
    Bass with Tina Weymouth.  ;)

I liked the drum episode. Sheila E is a bitchin’ drummer. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 678
    Enjoyed that. Not enough drummer jokes though!
    rsvmark said:
    Enjoyed that. Not enough drummer jokes though!
    It was only an hour long. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 1643
    edited January 12
    My son (a budding and enthusiastic drummer) and myself watched it and we really enjoyed it, particularly the history and development of the drum kit.

Sheila E was fabulous and I can't believe she's now 61.

As an aside, if you like Stewart Copeland's drumming, check out a late 80s project he was involved in called Animal Logic. It featured SC on drums, Stanley Clarke on bass, Michael Thompson on guitar (big LA sessioner and of Xotic demo fame) and an unknown female songwriter called Deborah Holland as the singer and it was her songs that they provided a vehicle for. It was essentially, adult power pop, and at times, Police-y.

Here's one of the songs and have listen to MT's solo at 2.16 - fabulous player

I'm looking forward to the next installment of this 3-parter

www.cairoeast.co.uk - Madness Tribute band (Bass Player) and guitarist elsewhere
    Feedback - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57885/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 2651
    Suitable for my kids (7&8)? They're getting in to music recently and dabbling in playing all three instruments so might be interested, but I'm not sure about introducing them to all the potential sex, drugs and rock & roll and fruity musician language just yet...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 496
    There was some “fruity musician language but no real sex, drugs and rock&roll
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 1860
    Kebabkid said:
    My son (a budding and enthusiastic drummer) and myself watched it and we really enjoyed it, particularly the history and development of the drum kit.

Sheila E was fabulous and I can't believe she's now 61.

As an aside, if you like Stewart Copeland's drumming, check out a late 80s project he was involved in called Animal Logic. It featured SC on drums, Stanley Clarke on bass, Michael Thompson on guitar (big LA sessioner and of Xotic demo fame) and an unknown female songwriter called Deborah Holland as the singer and it was her songs that they provided a vehicle for. It was essentially, adult power pop, and at times, Police-y.

Here's one of the songs and have listen to MT's solo at 2.16 - fabulous player

I'm looking forward to the next installment of this 3-parter

I enjoyed that.. thanks for posting. The solo almost quotes the BBC snooker theme a couple of times :) Nice. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 190
    Should be two episodes on each instrument - they could have done a lot more on patterns and mention some of the famous samples at least. But two episodes on bass might be a bit much. Copeland was surprisingly good and fun.

Watched it myself now. Not sure I learned all that much ( and with Stewart Copeland there I'm a bit disappointed of no mention of reggae drumming) but perfectly enjoyable. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 4505
    no mention of reggae drumming
    In fairness, Stewart Copeland was never a real Reggae drummer, was he?

Kebabkid said:
    if you like Stewart Copeland's drumming, check out ...
    Oysterhead.
    Be seeing you.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 19974
    Watched it myself now. Not sure I learned all that much ( and with Stewart Copeland there I'm a bit disappointed of no mention of reggae drumming) but perfectly enjoyable. 
    Agreed. I saw Copeland on The Police reunion tour in 2008 - he was truly astonishing - the star of a ‘very’ talented show. But this felt like ‘safe’ television....
    no mention of reggae drumming
    In fairness, Stewart Copeland was never a real Reggae drummer, was he? 
    I suppose not although he was obviously playing around with reggae ideas at the peak of his popularity so some reference maybe. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 5518
    I may be biased because I don't really like him, but the programme reinforced my theory that Sting was the least talented member of The Police (and I include Henry Padovani in that).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 2651
    Right near the end, Copeland managed to insert one small dig at Sting.
    I was wondering what it would be- laughed pretty hard at that. Not a nasty dig either, pretty self-deprecating really.

I only counted one fairly robust example of fruity language in an otherwise pretty family friendly show. Good work Flea.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 11428
    I think for a show which was aimed at a general audience and not us nerdy musos it was excellent, they pitched it just right. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 2039
    scrumhalf said:
    I may be biased because I don't really like him, but the programme reinforced my theory that Sting was the least talented member of The Police (and I include Henry Padovani in that).
    Still a pretty decent accolade. Bit like being the worst player in a 5 a side team with Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane and Maldini...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 1643

if you like Stewart Copeland's drumming, check out ...
    Oysterhead.
    Oysterhead were great. Thanks for reminding me!
     www.cairoeast.co.uk - Madness Tribute band (Bass Player) and guitarist elsewhere
    Feedback - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57885/
    scrumhalf said:
    I’d like to have as little talent as him. He might be a tosser in his personal life but he wrote some brilliant songs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 194
    Just watching this on catch-up this morning,and was really impressed with the amount of people just jamming on the street//beach or in the park.
    can’t ever see it happening in Brum tho’!