Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dilemma - PRS has ruined my life!

What's Hot
I'm one of the fortunate hoard that secured an R8 in the blow out sale last year, having wanted one for ages. I bought it with the intention of keeping it forever and absolutely love Lesters. 

However, I recently got hold of an SE Custom 24 for a real bargain price, with the intention of using it for my kids sessions, alongside my fleet of other affordable guitars. 

Problem is, it's so bloody fantastic and easy to play that I'm finding myself picking it up at home, for jamming, and my R8 sits there on the wall rarely getting used. I've actually seriously contemplated looking for a trade for a full fat PRS and I think I need some common sense talked into me. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    The PRS is better made and isprobably more playable but they have a horrible resale value. I’d get a PRS and keep the Les Paul too :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    The SE's are great just stay playing that and keep the R8 - you'll always feel a hole in your life without it ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5747
    From my playing time with PRS guitars, they either work for you or not. I can appreciate the brilliance but I’m in the not working camp. 

If you’re more in sync with that feel of guitar, the LP will quite possibly always disappoint.

Take it shopping and see if anything steals away your affections perhaps?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I know that feeling - coming up to 15 years ago I bought my first custom 24 and it’s stoll my go to guitar despite buying countless lovely guitars since then.      I wouldn’t rush into parting with the Les Paul though! 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    Keep the LP and wait for the next tax year to scout out a PRS.

I have long periods when I don't touch my (much more lowly) LP, but I always come back to it after a while, and rediscover it.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Why upgrade if you like the SE?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
    RMJ said:
    Actually, that’s a very key question. 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Are you sure you’re not picking it up more because it is cheap and expendable?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    SEs usually initially impress me and then slowly reveal their compromises as time goes on, and I end up selling them. They never seem to “open up” with age. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJ said:
    That is indeed the pertinent question. 

I suppose in my mind, the SE was firmly in the "guitars that are for work/ business" box, and not "my" guitar. It has jumped camp, but nonetheless is still a work/business guitar. There is of course no reason it can't do both jobs. 

Thank you for your collective wisdom folks. 

edited January 2019
    RMJ said:
    That is indeed the pertinent question. 

I suppose in my mind, the SE was firmly in the "guitars that are for work/ business" box, and not "my" guitar. It has jumped camp, but nonetheless is still a work/business guitar. There is of course no reason it can't do both jobs. 

Thank you for your collective wisdom folks. 
    And that also makes a lot of sense. As a snapper, I never use my work kit for any personal pics. No reason not to, just seems to feel like it’s imprinted with a completely different mindset. I have another bag of stuff for my own use and that somehow feels right.  
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    I've got a PRS SE Custom 24.

I've had a similar dilemma since I got it, you can play anything on it, it plays lovely, looks great, sounds great.

Fortunately I bought it before the R8 thing as well, so it put me off GAS.

The only real advantage of selling your R8 now is that you would sell it immediately just on here for basically what you paid for it.

I got the impression you loved it and it was your dream guitar (cos you told me ;) ) so I wouldn't sell it unless you have to.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • I got the impression you loved it and it was your dream guitar (cos you told me ;) ) so I wouldn't sell it unless you have to.
    I do, and it is. It plays beautifully and sounds amazing. 

I'm just finding the SE easier to play, which is probably as much to do with my finger injury as anything else. 

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    I know what you mean. My PRS Cu24 is also one of my 'go to' guitars. Great versatility, overall tone, feel, and very comfortable to play with nice weight balance, and superb build quality. 

But coversely I find that PRS don't really have a unique personality and there are days I find I want the unique tones and character of a Tele, Strat, SG or LP.  None of these have the same versatility or build quality, but each is superb at what it does. 

So my advice is don't sell your R8 as you'll regret it. As much as you like your PRS there will be days you pick up your R8 and it will just feel and sound 'wow' and special and nothing else compares. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10205
    I’ve got a R9 from the blowout and it spends most of its time sitting on the wall because I have a CS tele that is just super nice to play. I’m okay with it. 
  • I’d always wanted a full fat PRS Tremonti.  Once I got one I was shocked at just how bland a guitar it was. 

Even with pickup swaps it was sterile, dull and lifeless. One man’s poison though 
  • I bought an R8 too, then got a new core Custom 24 after being without one for nearly a year, I missed not having my PRS. They're both lovely and I love them equally, but play the PRS more. I can't see me selling the R8 as it amazes me every time I pick it up.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Voxman said:
    I know what you mean. My PRS Cu24 is also one of my 'go to' guitars. Great versatility, overall tone, feel, and very comfortable to play with nice weight balance, and superb build quality. 

But coversely I find that PRS don't really have a unique personality and there are days I find I want the unique tones and character of a Tele, Strat, SG or LP.  None of these have the same versatility or build quality, but each is superb at what it does. 

So my advice is don't sell your R8 as you'll regret it. As much as you like your PRS there will be days you pick up your R8 and it will just feel and sound 'wow' and special and nothing else compares. 

Perfectly articulated. Wis'd.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited January 2019
    I got the impression you loved it and it was your dream guitar (cos you told me ) so I wouldn't sell it unless you have to.
    I do, and it is. It plays beautifully and sounds amazing. 

I'm just finding the SE easier to play, which is probably as much to do with my finger injury as anything else. 
    Is it the slimmer neck? It’s been a long time since I played an R8 but IIRC they’ve got quite fat necks. CU24s typically have a thin neck profile
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7336
    use my SEII Soapbar about 80% of the time. The other 80% I use my £30 Telecaster(!). I rarely touch my Les Paul or £2000 335, or vintage Yamaha SG2000s or vintage 73 Strat or my LP DC Jr or my custom 62 RI Tele or Hofner Archtop or.....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>