Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dilemma - PRS has ruined my life!

What's Hot

Comments

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited January 2019
    I got the impression you loved it and it was your dream guitar (cos you told me ) so I wouldn't sell it unless you have to.
    I do, and it is. It plays beautifully and sounds amazing. 

I'm just finding the SE easier to play, which is probably as much to do with my finger injury as anything else. 
    Is it the slimmer neck? It’s been a long time since I played an R8 but IIRC they’ve got quite fat necks. CU24s typically have a thin neck profile
    If it's one of this recent batch, it'll be a 2017 R8 and they all had R9 neck profiles, which is a bit thinner...still chunky enough though. The PRS will no doubt be thinner, is my guess.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    I've got a PRS SE Custom 24.

I've had a similar dilemma since I got it, you can play anything on it, it plays lovely, looks great, sounds great.

Fortunately I bought it before the R8 thing as well, so it put me off GAS.

Wash your mouth out Ed. You're a disgrace.

;) 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8692
    ... I need some common sense talked into me. 
    Which version of common sense would you like? The one which says “it’s going to get knocked around. Stick with the SE” or the one which says “A full fat PRS will be even better than the SE, and every guitar gets knocked”? There is a middle way. Wait for a used PRS to turn up in the Classifieds then upgrade the SE.

Either way, don’t get rid of your R8. It’s your reference guitar. Even if you only play it a couple of times a year.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a SE Custom 24 (MIK 2015) and have used it for 'critical' work rather than for 'fun' stuff. I auditioned for a band with it (and was accepted), several guest recording sessions and my own recordings.

I also was looking to trade up to a core Custom 24, and tried some. I didnt buy one because I prefer the sound and the handling of my SE. Its true that the core models sustain longer, but I dont need that.

I have bought another PRS since, a CU24 reclaimed wood Semi Hollow.

Neither of my PRS's are my favourite guitars, but the SE remains the go to one when I'm challenged.

Cons: I dont like the look of it (garish orange flame veneer and zebra pickups). I also had to disable the trem.

Lastly, I disagree that PRS have a indifferent sound. I get a unique violin-like lead from the neck pickup that's unlike any other guitar I use. That includes other USA models.

If I were in your shoes, I would keep the R8 and the SE.

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    My first thought was, like has been mentioned, "why get anything more expensive when it's the SE that you love?"

But having said that, because I love the pickup in my SE, I really wanted to get a similarly specced Bare Knuckle for a long time.

Funny how it's so much easier to see "common sense" when it's someone else's situation :)
  • I have a SE Custom 24 (MIK 2015) and have used it for 'critical' work rather than for 'fun' stuff. I auditioned for a band with it (and was accepted), several guest recording sessions and my own recordings.

I also was looking to trade up to a core Custom 24, and tried some. I didnt buy one because I prefer the sound and the handling of my SE. Its true that the core models sustain longer, but I dont need that.

I have bought another PRS since, a CU24 reclaimed wood Semi Hollow.

Neither of my PRS's are my favourite guitars, but the SE remains the go to one when I'm challenged.

Cons: I dont like the look of it (garish orange flame veneer and zebra pickups). I also had to disable the trem.

Lastly, I disagree that PRS have a indifferent sound. I get a unique violin-like lead from the neck pickup that's unlike any other guitar I use. That includes other USA models.

If I were in your shoes, I would keep the R8 and the SE.

I agree with that violin thing you mention. It's a nice sound.

• Have you tried a McCarty or DGT?
    Both are a step further towards the LP with thicker bodies etc.
    I owned a Custom 24 for 26 years but let it go last year after not playing it for ages - also owned a number of Les Pauls but never really got on with them.  If the McCarty had been about in 1991 and I’d bought that, I’d still have it and be playing it every day. (Currently saving up for one as we speak).
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Simple rule of GAS - whenever you think “I love this cheap guitar, I’m going to buy the more expensive version” it never quite works out.

Had an SE Soapbar and loved it, so thought I was def a PRS guy, so sold it and went and bought a McCarty, didn’t get on with it as the Epiphone Es339 I had at the time was getting all the play time. Too scared to buy a real 339 at that stage.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    @Legionreturns ; The problem with most of the advice you've received so far is that it is from people who know what they are talking about - so you cannot be sure that unconscious bias isn't seeping in. I've never owned a Gibson or a PRS and couldn't care less about either brand. It's clear from your post that you like the PRS and hardly play the R8; so, keep the PRS, sell the R8, and spend the money from the R8 sale on something non-guitar related, like a weekend break somewhere cool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • @Legionreturns ; The problem with most of the advice you've received so far is that it is from people who know what they are talking about - so you cannot be sure that unconscious bias isn't seeping in. I've never owned a Gibson or a PRS and couldn't care less about either brand. It's clear from your post that you like the PRS and hardly play the R8; so, keep the PRS, sell the R8, and spend the money from the R8 sale on something non-guitar related, like a weekend break somewhere cool.
    I'm sorry...it sounded like you just suggested *reducing* the number of guitars I own. 

I don't need that kind of deviant advice! Sicko! 

;) 

In all honesty, the R8 is going nowhere, it still sounds great and IS great, I'll spend many happy years playing it... I just might have to get a couple more PRS as well. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665
    @Legionreturns my Les Paul hasn’t left it’s case since I bought my Prs sc250, it’s better in every single way than the Gibson 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    I bought a used DGT in April of last year - it finally convinced me to sell my 1964 335....
  • @Legionreturns ; The problem with most of the advice you've received so far is that it is from people who know what they are talking about - so you cannot be sure that unconscious bias isn't seeping in. I've never owned a Gibson or a PRS and couldn't care less about either brand. It's clear from your post that you like the PRS and hardly play the R8; so, keep the PRS, sell the R8, and spend the money from the R8 sale on something non-guitar related, like a weekend break somewhere cool.
    I'm sorry...it sounded like you just suggested *reducing* the number of guitars I own. 

I don't need that kind of deviant advice! Sicko! 

;) 

In all honesty, the R8 is going nowhere, it still sounds great and IS great, I'll spend many happy years playing it... I just might have to get a couple more PRS as well. 
    This is exactly how you should be thinking.

• rossirossi Frets: 1703
    You have found your perfect guitar .Only its headstock  label and finish are not high end enough .Two things that are not the slightest importance to playing  a guitar .If you love playing it  then thats you have found your perfect guitar the rest is show off ego .My favorite strat is a Squire Joe Trohman neck 12 inch radius 22 fret and a Squire SE body and Maida Vale pickups ,all cobbled up over spare parts hanging around ..Do I dare take it too a pub jam session among all those high end Lesters and USA strats ..........?
  • I've got a MiK SE, a fairly old CU22 with moon inlays. It's a beautifully made guitar. I found the pickups rather dull so changed them. Went for a pair with nickel covers - amazing how much more classy and expensive an SE looks with covered pickups instead of those cheap looking zebras. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got a MiK SE, a fairly old CU22 with moon inlays. It's a beautifully made guitar. I found the pickups rather dull so changed them. Went for a pair with nickel covers - amazing how much more classy and expensive an SE looks with covered pickups instead of those cheap looking zebras. 
    I'm not a fan of the pickups or the zebra look, it's purely a comfort and playability thing. Changing the pickups for some covered pafs might be a good option

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    I'm not a fan of the pickups or the zebra look, it's purely a comfort and playability thing. Changing the pickups for some covered pafs might be a good option
    If that's the case, then you really will not be disappointed with a Core line PRS. They are sublime in the comfort and playability department.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14182
    tFB Trader
    I've got a MiK SE, a fairly old CU22 with moon inlays. It's a beautifully made guitar. I found the pickups rather dull so changed them. Went for a pair with nickel covers - amazing how much more classy and expensive an SE looks with covered pickups instead of those cheap looking zebras. 
    I was a big PRS Dealer for many few years - sold 100's, probably a 1000 + - The single biggest issue IMO with a PRS are the pick-ups - The more gain you use the better they are IMO, but the less gain, then I feel there are better options- Heard many with changed p/ups and they now have more 'soul' - Probably the exception to this are the DGT p/ups

But I agree it is the plyability that makes them so good to own/play
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3186
    Can’t believe this thread is still going mate, what exactly is the problem? ;) Surely you should have purchased a top of the line PRS to go with that R8 by now?
  • Can't do nowt about the silly clownburst (bought used so no choice over finish) but I do think the covered pickups I put on my SE do make the guitar look better. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom