I love cooking - I love food :)

What's Hot
NikcNikc Frets: 189
So I just tired a wee taster of the Chicken dish I'm cooking for me and my loving wife (with white wine, peppers, mushrooms and single cream plus an array of herbs and spices) feck me it's lovely - I'd weight 20 odd stone if I wasn't such a keen cyclist ;)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 14573
    Recipe or STFU.... !!!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Me and ladyprettydamned made Thai curry tonight - mostly green peppers with one furiously hot red, coconut milk, coconut cream, a big shallot  garlic, coriander leaves, stem and seed, cumin, the works. Could have used a bit more of a kick though  

Griddled chicken strips and spiralised courgette made the main features, with some peas, tenderstem broccoli and French beans. DAMN it was good. Cooking rocks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NikcNikc Frets: 189
    Emp_Fab said:
    Recipe or STFU.... !!!
    Family secret ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    @Moderators - Ban this SOB immediately !!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 2622
    Stuff chicken breasts with cream cheese and wrap in Parma ham tie with string. Put 300ml white wine and 300ml chicken stock in a frying pan. Heat with the chicken in so it poaches  when cooked through remove the chicken and boil the liquid until reduced by half. Add cream and some tarragon. Slice the stuffed chicken and put the sauce over. Goes well with little herby roast potatoes and asparagus or a salad. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 10635
    Cooking is one of my favourite things. Preferably with music and wine

I'm celiac, which is a massive pain, but makes home cooking all the more important. We're big on veg & protein and trying to avoid carbs.

I think I love slow cooked stuff most of all - big pots of shredded lamb or pork are just awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 4548
    I'm on a serious diet............this is a very unfair thread to people in my position who are looking forward to their next interesting plate of steamed vegetables !
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 1226
    I'm on a serious diet, too!

Last night I cooked us a serious Fish curry (from Diane Henrys book "Plenty") with Basmati rice and a Spinach & Onion side (from Madhur Jaffreys book "Taste of India"). Took just an hour from start to finish, from scratch including roasting the spices. 

Still can't cook a steak properly, though....  

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 10494
    Dominic said:
    I'm on a serious diet............this is a very unfair thread to people in my position who are looking forward to their next interesting plate of steamed vegetables !
    Fresh herbs are your friend. They're the difference between good food and blandness. 
    Good to see I’m not alone, my love of food and wine is well balanced against my training regime - exercise is your best friend I managed to burn 1500 kcal on my turbo trainer yesterday :) 
    edited January 13
    p90fool said:
    Dominic said:
    Fresh herbs are your friend. They're the difference between good food and blandness. 
    We're on a diet you can make great stuff.  I've had the stuffed chicken above, chilli, chicken curry, salmon with potatoes and vegetables, shepherds pie and stir fry the past 7 days and lost 3 pounds.  I'm targetting losing a stone over 12 months.  Plus I had a couple of glasses of wine and port last night and a few pints thursday,
  • DominicDominic Frets: 4548
    munckee said:
    p90fool said:
    Dominic said:
    We're on a diet you can make great stuff.  I've had the stuffed chicken above, chilli, chicken curry, salmon with potatoes and vegetables, shepherds pie and stir fry the past 7 days and lost 3 pounds.  I'm targetting losing a stone over 12 months.  Plus I had a couple of glasses of wine and port last night and a few pints thursday,
    You're pretending you're on a diet !.........I'm trying to be a bit more hard-core ;Target lose 2 stone in 2 months 
    That glass of Port had more sugar than 3 slices of chocolate fudge cake 

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 272
    Did cauliflower cheese last night.
    Came out good, tasty, best I've done yet. But not perfect.
    Dominic said:
    munckee said:
    p90fool said:
    Dominic said:
    You're pretending you're on a diet !.........I'm trying to be a bit more hard-core ;Target lose 2 stone in 2 months 
    That glass of Port had more sugar than 3 slices of chocolate fudge cake 

I have a stone to lose. Missus. Munckee wants to lose more so I'm pacing myself!
    Nikc said:
    Good to see I’m not alone, my love of food and wine is well balanced against my training regime - exercise is your best friend I managed to burn 1500 kcal on my turbo trainer yesterday :) 
    1500 ?????  I seriously doubt that - unless you're some kind of olympic athlete.

I get to 150 on my treadmill and I need to be helped off !!
  • blobbblobb Frets: 1026
    edited January 13
    Here's a good one:

Cook some spaghetti
    heat up some olive oil
    add cracked pepper to the oil
    stir in the pasta
    add loads of pecorino cheese

5 minutes to make - Cacio e pepe, it's what the locals eat in Rome and it's fantastic.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    Shredded mexican beef tonight. Normally slow cooked but trying MrsF's new Instantpot - should take under an hour start to finish. Smells good already...
    blobb said:
    Here's a good one:

Cook some spaghetti
    heat up some olive oil
    stir in the pasta

5 minutes to make - Cacio e pepe, it's what the locals eat in Rome and it's fantastic.
    Excellent dish, but you have to judge the right amount of pasta water in the "sauce" to get it perfect. Once you get it right you don't even need the oil...
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 3341
    edited January 13
    Emp_Fab said:
    Nikc said:
    Good to see I’m not alone, my love of food and wine is well balanced against my training regime - exercise is your best friend I managed to burn 1500 kcal on my turbo trainer yesterday  
    1500 ?????  I seriously doubt that - unless you're some kind of olympic athlete.

@Emp_Fab a Tour de France cyclist will burn between 4-7,000 calories a day, so it's not that hard to do. One of my local rides, Conwy to Liverpool, is 65 miles and that will average 1600 calories, and that's taking it nice and easy. I can burn about the same on a 20 mile loop if I'm really pushing it.
  • blobb said:
    Here's a good one:

Cook some spaghetti
    heat up some olive oil
    stir in the pasta

Had some Cacio e Pepe when in Rome last year, proper lovely food.
    Emp_Fab said:
    Nikc said:

And again today - very hard session that I wrote myself takes you right to breaking point - I use a Polar V800 to monitor efforts speed and cadence - It helps that I'm a qualified cycle coach ;)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 10494
    Emp_Fab said:
    Nikc said:

Really? You probably use 35 just plugging it in and reading the manual. 

I use about 5,000 calories on my daily commute, according to the cycle computer I use as a speedo on my motorbike.
    :)
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 1837
    I love to cook too and have been getting into Szechuan recently. 
    I'm from the "garlic is a vegetable" school of thinking. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 13471
    Simple roast today, albeit with some bloody lovely gravy courtesy of Jamie Oliver's YT channel.

However, my current smug expression is due to the fact that I managed to produce four flawless chocolate fondants in one go. I've never managed to make all four without one of them falling apart before, so I count this as a major win.
    "Mains is ouchy if you get it up you" - Sporky
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 1769
    edited January 13
    jdgm said:
    Did cauliflower cheese last night.
    Came out good, tasty, best I've done yet. But not perfect.
    For you next one, add a splash of Worcestershire sauce and red wine vinegar to your cheese sauce. Makes all the difference. 
  • I'm on a serious diet, too!

Last night I cooked us a serious Fish curry (from Diane Henrys book "Plenty") with Basmati rice and a Spinach & Onion side (from Madhur Jaffreys book "Taste of India"). Took just an hour from start to finish, from scratch including roasting the spices. 

Still can't cook a steak properly, though....  

Steak is easy  just a few things most people forget. 

- room temperature 
    - dry - pat dry if needed
    - season 
    - use a hot cast iron griddle pan or skillet. These hold heat well - they take a while to heat up on a medium heat but they get searing hot when they do  

The meat will stick at first - that's a good thing. After a couple of minutes try to move it and it should release easily (not slide, but "click" off). Turn over and do it again  then oven finish in the same pan if you want it more cooked than rare.

Lastly, let the meat rest after it's been cooked - leave it on a warmed plate. I promise, it'll be ace. Then you can deglaze the pan with stock or red wine for a tasty gravy. 

We use a le creuset griddle or fry pan, a neighbour uses a much cheaper pan that's a bit heavier but works equally as well.

Tonight, I made a few curry pastes - tikka masala, jalfrezi and Malaysian rendang, and froze them in ice cube trays. Three of the frozen cubes is perfect for a generous size vegetable curry, they just need coconut milk or tinned tomatoes, onion and stock to be added to get the sauce done. Not absolutely authentic, but delicious and easy. The tomato based dishes are plenty healthy, too :)

Plus you get a work out using the pestle and mortar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 6394
    SERVES 1 | 1 MINUTES PREP | 3 MINUTES COOKING

1 coffee mug
    4 tbsp plain flour
    4 tbsp caster sugar
    2 tbsp cocoa powder
    1 large egg
    3 tbsp whole milk
    3 tbsp vegetable oil
    splash of vanilla extract

Add dry ingredients to mug, mix well with a fork.

Add egg, mix thoroughly.

Pour in milk, oil and vanilla, mix well.

Put mug into microwave and cook for three minutes on 1000 watts. Cake will rise over top of mug. Allow to cool for 2 minutes.

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 13471
    edited January 14
    Okay, since we're doing recipes now...

Enough for four chocolate orange fondants:

120g dark chocolate (or 100g dark and 20g milk chocolate if that's too rich for you)
    1 teaspoon orange extract (or two, depending on how orange-y you want it)
    120g butter, cubed
    Two whole eggs and two egg yolks
    120g caster sugar
    30g flour (or a heaped tablespoon)
    Cocoa powder

Microwave the chocolate and butter for 20-30s at a time until the butter's melted and clear but there are still lumps of chocolate in there. Mix it with a fork until it's smooth and shiny and all the chocolate's melted. Add the orange extract and mix again.

In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks until pale, then add the caster sugar bit-by-bit and whisk until there aren't any lumps.

Add the chocolate bit-by-bit to the egg/sugar mix and whisk as you go (don't add it all at once, depending on how hot the chocolate is you might start cooking the egg).

Add the flour and whisk again.

Lastly, melt a knob of butter in the microwave and get a pastry brush (or just use a clean tea towel). Grease the inside of your dariole moulds (or whatever you want to make the fondants in, ramekins can do a good job), then dump a good amount of cocoa powder into one of them. Holding it above the next mould, roll the cocoa powder around it until it's completely coated and the remaining cocoa powder is in the next mould...continue until they're all completely coated and dry. This is to make it non-stick.

2/3 fill each mould with the cake mixture, then put in the oven at 200C for exactly 12 minutes (IMPORTANT: give it an extra minute for every 20 minutes since you made the mixture - it'll have cooled down since you microwaved the chocolate). When they're ready, each one will have a dome shape on top.

Remove from the oven and leave for a minute to finish the cooking process. Run a small, very sharp knife around the top 1cm of each mould to loosen it. Then place a small plate on top of the mould and invert. Let it sit for 20s and remove the mould.

Best served with Chantilly cream IMO (200ml double cream, seeds from one or two vanilla pods, tablespoon of caster sugar, whisk until soft peaks).
    "Mains is ouchy if you get it up you" - Sporky
    Don't get me started on baking... I ran a bakery in an ice cream shop for 18 months after uni. Great fun, loads of cake and I was delivering around Oxford by bike so never put on any weight. If only it had paid well...! 

I'm loving waffles lately. Make a load of batter in advance and get 2 or 3 decent breakfasts out of it. Best toppings are skyr & berries or scrambled eggs & bacon with maple syrup. LOVELY