Help: Very loose tone pots

What's Hot
The tone pots on my strat are very loose. Both use push/pull to activate different pickup combinations. I prefer very stiff pots so I get more accurate changes. These are often moved accidentally and therefore unintentionally darken my tone. 
Is there an easy solution to stiffening the pots?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    IMO, the easy solution is to control your strumming/picking hand so as not to knock the controls in the first place.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6776
    lukedlb said:
    The tone pots on my strat are very loose. Both use push/pull to activate different pickup combinations. I prefer very stiff pots so I get more accurate changes. These are often moved accidentally and therefore unintentionally darken my tone. 
    Wouldn’t have thought so, the push/pull operation stops you using an o-ring or felt washer under the knob. Changing pots would be the only option, but sourcing better push/pull pots is tricky- you could move the pickup selection bits to a separate switch which opens up more options.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    Try working some thick grease down the mechanism - take the knob off, pull the switch up and put the grease on the narrow part of the shaft, then push it down and wipe off any excess. Do that a few times if necessary and see if it helps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    IMO, the easy solution is to control your strumming/picking hand so as not to knock the controls in the first place.
    Trust me, it takes the slightest brush to move it. I’ve never had the problem before. I play with a very rhythmic right hand. I do try to take care but that’s the last thing I want to worry about. 
    mrkb said:
    lukedlb said:
    Wouldn’t have thought so, the push/pull operation stops you using an o-ring or felt washer under the knob. Changing pots would be the only option, but sourcing better push/pull pots is tricky- you could move the pickup selection bits to a separate switch which opens up more options.
    What about a washer with a reduced hole so that it grabs the pole? 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    One method of stiffening knobs is to use an O-ring around the pot shaft. It adds friction, which you can vary by how far you push the knob onto the shafts. For push-pull knobs use two O-rings of different diameters, but not so different that one fits easily inside the other. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    That won't work with a push-pull, unless the looseness isn't a problem when the knob is up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    That won't work with a push-pull, unless the looseness isn't a problem when the knob is up.
    Even looser when up. @Roland ;
    One pot is spring loaded when pushed down; the other has to be pulled up. Of the two, the spring loaded one is definitely looser.