Taylor GS Mini

What's Hot
Anybody have one? What are they like?

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/acoustic_guitars_detail.asp?stock=12010710593732

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/acoustic_guitars_detail.asp?stock=10070716273829

Does the mahogany one just sound darker...? I'll have to try them.
I already have a Baby Martin which I LOVE... in fact I need to get some sort of pickup for that (advice?).
But I'd like to try something a tad bigger for comparison. The Martin is a dream - strings are 9s or 10s (can't remember) and it just flies.
I don't get on with full-size, heavy-gauge, high-action acoustics. If the GS Mini had a cutaway I reckon it'd be perfect. I see it also comes with no electronics so I'd have to get a pickup for it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    edited April 2014
    I have the mahogany one. Really love it. I tend to chose things by walking into a shop and taking a bunch off the shelf then switching between them, and this guitar was to me a perfect blend of brightness/ articulation with some midrange body and enough low end that it doesn't sound thin. I was looking for a guitar that sits well in a mix because I usually find with full size acoustics the low end needs taming, and this does the job perfectly.

The fretboard feels good, the scale length is only fractionally less than a Les Paul so in practice it doesn't feel like a small guitar. What the smaller body does seem to give is more punch on the low strings and single notes - you can go from playing full chords to riffing away without a sudden drop of volume which is a massive bonus for my playing style.

And it's very nice being able to comfortably hold the guitar while lounging on a sofa - I'm a relatively slim guy and big acoustic bodies tend to get uncomfortable under my arm after a bit. Other than that I don't have much else to add. It stays in tune well, I think it looks nice, and it's got a built in harness for the Taylor pickup so it's easy to wire one in if you decide to get one afterwards.

Edit with pic

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    i'm buying one of these as soon as my pay goes in this week! been after one for 2 years, played a few and they are fantastic sounding and super easy to play. I preferred the Mahogany one.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    Guys - thanks for the info. Great pic!
    I'll try one out this weekend - mahogany looks great. Just hope it's not too big given I've been playing a Martin Baby for so long!
    I'd want to fit lighter gauge strings (I hear the standard is 13 fitted).
    I see there is a version that comes with electrics, but given how often I'd use the electrics, I'm not sure about that.

On a side note - is there anything between a Martin Baby and GS Mini in terms of size? I don't think so...
    I chose the Martin over the mini (not GS) Taylor as I felt it played better and sounded darker. Hopefully the GS Mini will be an improvement.
  • I have had one for a while, and they are fun guitars to mess around on. They sound OK with the GS Mini pickup systems, and the install is remarkably easy, taking less than 10 mins.

The only thing I would say is that if you are playing with another acoustic player, unless you are plugged into an amp, you will struggle to be heard. They just don't project as well and will sound very quiet relatively.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited April 2014
    I own a rosewood Ltd, with under-saddle factory pick-up. It plays beautifully, is faultlessly built and sounds superbly balanced. Lighter strings would probably be ok, but 9s or 10s are really too light for an acoustic.

I've played the Martin and in my opinion, the Taylor wipes the floor with it.

My 'sofa' guitar - in fact I play it more than anything else I own.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    They are VERY VERY IMPRESSIVE.  My sister bought one - I was used as the test bed.  We sat in a booth in GuitarGuitar while the poor assistant brought in guitar after guitar - some much more than twice the price and most OM or bigger.  We spent around two hours but both kept coming back to the Mahogany Taylor.  If they'd had two in stock, I would have bought one too...and I don't need one and build my own anyway!!!
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 261
    I bought the standard spruce GS Mini a couple of months back, at the same time I tried a 200 series Taylor and I much preferred the GS Mini. Instead of going for the ES-Go pick up, I got an LR Baggs Anthem SL installed. In all, I highly recommend the GS Mini, great sound, massive playability.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I heard mixed reviews regarding the ES-go pickup... I'm thinking it might be better to bite the bullet and buy the GS Mini-E....... BUT saying that, unless I'm gigging in the near-future, I would never be using the electronics!
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    I heard mixed reviews regarding the ES-go pickup... I'm thinking it might be better to bite the bullet and buy the GS Mini-E....... BUT saying that, unless I'm gigging in the near-future, I would never be using the electronics!

I think the mini - e is just the mini with the es- go pickup fitted...
    edited April 2014
    Andyjr1515;219995" said:
    I think the mini - e is just the mini with the es- go pickup fitted...
    No it isn't.

The 'e' (which was a limited edition, it appears to be part of the regular line now) is fitted with the ES-T under-saddle pick-up/active pre-amp with Expression System style rotary volume/treble/bass controls - as fitted to 100 and 200 series electros.
    I (personally!) don't like the thought of a pick-up across the sound-hole and a wire coming out. But would I use the electronics much?
    Like I said, it's just because I've heard such mixed reviews about the ES-go pickup
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    edited April 2014
    Buy the one with the built in expression system - then you've got the option for the future.

I have an original Mini-Mahogany and love it but had I waited, I'd have paid a bit more for the ES built in. 

Hoping to get a USB-able Mic which was recommended to me so I can start recording vocals/guitar straight into that when I'm at home. 

For live scenario I'll cope with my SD Woody. 

Winner. 

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    edited April 2014
    I (personally!) don't like the thought of a pick-up across the sound-hole and a wire coming out. But would I use the electronics much?
    Like I said, it's just because I've heard such mixed reviews about the ES-go pickup
    The sound hole pickup includes a jack socketed strap button which installs in the guitar replacing the one already there, so the wiring stays inside the guitar. I've seen mixed reviews of the es pickup too, but I don't think I've ever heard an acoustic pickup that actually sounds good. They're always a compromise, best bet is a blend of pickup and internal mic and possibly piezo too but for the amount of effort involved I'd rather just stick a spare sm57 near the neck/body join and get on with playing music!
    Like JonEve says, I think I'll go for the one including the electrics (if I like the guitar, that is!)
    edited April 2014
    For clarity, the 'e' version doesn't have the Expression System installed. As I said in an earlier post it is the under-saddle (ie piezo) ES-T pick-up.

The full ES system (which has just been released in its Mk 3 guise - my comments relate to the earlier versions) has a mixed reputation. @ICBM loathes it. I don't have enough experience to proffer a worthwhile personal opinion.

My GS Mini Rosewood Ltd cost me about £50 more than the standard version - which is less that the cost of adding the Easy-Go sound hole pick-up.

To my ears, the electronics are good. Certainly good enough for most live applications. One small touch that I think epitomises Taylor; the pre-amp was fitted with a Duracell. On a lower-end instrument, most makers would chuck in any old PP3 to save cost....
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    edited April 2014
    I bought a Mahogany today, no electrics (that's what my les Paul is for ;) the strings are a little heavy for my taste (13s) but it sounds great and is so much easier for me to play than 99% of acoustics i've tried. The case is fantastic too, very cool guitars for the money

Moltisanti;221783" said:
    I bought a Mahogany today, the strings are a little heavy for my taste (13s) but it sounds great and is so much easier for me to play than 99% of acoustics i've tried. The case is fantastic too
    Congratulations. Really enjoy mine - and you're right - the 'hard' gig bag they come with is superb!
    edited April 2014
    Tried one today but I've come down with a bad cold, so only had 10 minutes before I felt I was going to faint and went home. 
    Definitely one of the nicest looking guitars in the shop, and I love the size. As predicted, I felt the action was a bit high - compared to my Martin (which I can absolutely rip on), I found it hard to play some of the stuff I usually do. I'd have to get the saddlae & nut filed down or something (I wouldn't be doing that myself!).
    Got to say I went in expecting to love the mahogany, but I preferred the normal rosewood (?) version. 

So - still not sure... it'd need a set-up for me to buy it compared to my Martin. FYI it's a Martin LXM I have, not the "proper wood" LX1. Haven't tried an LXI.. Have to say I've never needed a guitar set up before - I only buy if it feels right in the shop.