Andertons advertisement August 1975

What's Hot
I came across some Andertons for sale advertisements in a 1975 copy of Melody Maker. Interesting to see the prices back then - presumably these are new guitars.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited January 2019
    In 1975, street price on Fender Stratocasters will have been about three hundred quid. Choice of fingerboard wood and six, repeat, six exciting colours. (Two of those were sunbursts.)

If you correct the prices for currency devaluation, present day Fenders are less expensive and considerably better built.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Also, in 1975, the Captain will have been rolling about on the floor and dribbling. [Insert your own libellous joke here.]
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • £300 in 1975 is the equivalent of £2400 (ish) in 2018. 

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377

Nevermind that 70's junk at Anderton's... on the right there is a nice '63 Tele for £150....equivalent to approx £1200 now.....weep! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5419
    Probably all B-stock mind you. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7324
    Just called them about the £185 Tele Deluxes in photo 1 and they denied all knowledge. Avoid these time wasters! 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    And above the 63 Tele, a 55 Goldtop for £1000 or a 58 3 pickup custom for £1100 - £7500-8500 now.

IF my dad were alive, I'd kill him! ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    In 1975, street price on Fender Stratocasters will have been about three hundred quid. Choice of fingerboard wood and six, repeat, six exciting colours. (Two of those were sunbursts.)

If you correct the prices for currency devaluation, present day Fenders are less expensive and considerably better built.

May be wrong - but I thought it was five? Black, White, Walnut, Natural and Sunburst? The ‘Sienna Sunburst’ variant was later (around 1977, IIRC).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    I came across some Andertons for sale advertisements in a 1975 copy of Melody Maker. Interesting to see the prices back then - presumably these are new guitars.
    No, second hand. Many of those models were not even made in the mid-70s, hence why the only one with the 'list' price for comparison is the Tele Deluxe.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    What a rip-off, I bought my Gretsch Tennessean for £130 round about that time. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31588

Funny how a used Avon Les Paul is still around fifty quid. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    p90fool said:

Funny how a used Avon Les Paul is still around fifty quid. 
    You can easily get £200 for a nice one that’s been properly brought up to scratch, but that’s still probably a drop in real terms. And about £150-worth of work :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9611
  • I paid £220 for a Hayman Modular in 1975.....................there were much better buys for that money!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    I don't have any old copies of Melody Maker - But I recall that it was the main media channel for 'rock' shops to advertise in - I started advertising in it in 1978 - Wish I had some old copies

The Melody Maker would call you on a Monday morning for any edits from the previous weekly ad and it was in the shops for sale on Thursday

Can't recall when it became redundant as an advertising format - I'm guessing when Guitarist Magazine was launched

Around this time Rick Desmond's International Musician was the main monthly mag, but was always expensive for 1/4, 1/2 or full page ads

I have many old copies of International Musician + Guitarist and sometimes look through the ads to see such prices
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited January 2019
    Funny reading these old ads - Les Pauls, SGs. ES335s, Firebirds, ES330s, Teles, Strats.

Can anyone think of another industry that is still churning out bestselling models that are pretty much identical to those from the mid 70s?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16092
    A guy who worked with my father had exactly that colour Nasty Austin Princess.......and our neighbour had the even nastier Van den Plas in Hearing Aid Beige .........they also had really horrible scratchy brown nylon interior upholstery that conducted so much static that it made your hair stand on end if you shuffled on the seat.
    I remember a journey from London to Frinton on Sea .......my hair was completely vertical when we got out ;looked like I had been plugged into a Van der Graff generator for an hour !
     Funnily enough the front end in isolation looks just like a late 80s Maserati Quattroporte.