Alnico 3, 43awg Strat Pickups?

I've been looking at replacing the pickups in my late 90's roseboard board US Standard Strat. I really like the sound and feel of the al3 43awg pickups in my Teles and thought i'd have a look to see if similar were available for strats. However it doesn't seem that people make them. I was wondering if there is a reason for this, do they sound bad in a strat?

What pickups should I be looking at if I want an al3 43awg type sound in a strat?
My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Commission one of the UK-based pickup builders on this forum to make exactly what you think you want. 

You should be able to strike a deal for ordering a trio. Maybe, have the bridge position pickup overwound to balance its output with the other two. Request rod magnet polepiece lengths to accommodate the modern 9.5" fingerboard radius. 

Speaking of which ...

late 90's rosewood board US Standard Strat.
    A Stratocaster of that age should have plastic bobbin single coil pickups. The construction of these makes it physically possible to gently push the magnets out of the bobbin with no risk of damage to the copper coil. Thus, you could experiment with A3 rod magnets in your existing pickups.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Maida Vale (made in UK  22 UKP each )do a Strat A3 for the neck and I suppose any other position .No idea what gauge wire but his website give other details  .I have  a set in my Strat and love em .A3 in the neck gives me that warm jazzy bluesy sound perfectly That I wanted .The middle is A4 and the bridge A2 .Not over hot but plenty of clean bite .Dirtys up well .
  • Mojo will wind you a set. I promise they will sound amazing
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Mojo will wind you a set. I promise they will sound amazing
    My favourite tele pickup is a Mojo Esquire bridge, I just need to work out what I want before I can order! Thanks for all comments.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/