Replacement tuners for 2017 R8?

What's Hot
johnljohnl Frets: 2011
Hi all, having spent the past 2 hours (and 3 sets of strings) trying to figure out why I had an open fret buzz on my G string it turns out that the post on the kluson tuners is loose. Holding the post stops the buzz, letting go starts it again. I can't see any real way to tighten it so figured I might as well go for a replacement - does anyone have a recommendation for a drop in replacement? Also any ideas on the size of the bushing? I think it's 8ish mm rather than the 10mm on Gibson USA?

I'm looking at either these:

https://www.axesrus.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SD-90-SL-NS-Set-THUMB

Or these:

https://www.axesrus.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SD-90-SL-SET

But am very open to suggestions.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    edited January 2019
    The post can't be loose if it's under string tension. The loose bit will be either the collar, the key, or possibly the back cover, and holding the post will be dampening the vibration enough to stop it buzzing.

Collar - wrap the bit that goes into the headstock with a turn of paper making tape.

Key - carefully apply superglue to the gap between the shaft and the key so it wicks in.

Back cover - you will need to take the machinehead off, and tap the rivet tabs tighter with a small punch, with the back of the head resting on a hard surface.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Thanks @ICBM - I'll try all of those. If it makes any difference if I tuned a bit past G then the rattling / buzzing stopped (as it did when I held the post) - however the post doesn't seem noticeably looser than any of the others. I'll try the things you mentioned above and report back. 
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    I put the locking Gotoh 'Klusons' in my McCarty and love them.  Deliberately used the same strings to give a fair comparison and instantly noticed better tone as well as improved tuning stability.  10 minute job.
    @uncledick Are yours the ones with the thumbwheel or the ones without? Trying to decide between them....
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1418
    Can’t you get this repaired under warranty?
    Probably but I suspect that will mean about 2 weeks of arguing and then being without my guitar for however long. Bearing in mind that one tuner has failed I'd rather just replace them all with a better quality alternative now.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    johnl said:
    Probably but I suspect that will mean about 2 weeks of arguing and then being without my guitar for however long. Bearing in mind that one tuner has failed I'd rather just replace them all with a better quality alternative now.
    I find the fact there are better quality components available easily for a guitar that costs that massive amount of money rather disturbing.

Even at the "amazingly" cheap price of £2500 each, that's pretty scary isn't it?  Given it is basically a lump of wood with wires attached I'd expect perfection for that amount of dosh!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Well, better quality was probably a poor choice of words on my part. Let's say I'd rather replace them with my "preferred alternative" as I'll shortly be doing with the pickups as well. I wasn't looking for clinical perfection from this guitar, just something with a bit of soul that played beautifully and it does that very well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    johnl said:
    @uncledick Are yours the ones with the thumbwheel or the ones without? Trying to decide between them....
    They have the thumbwheel on the back.  Can't be seen from the front (on a PRS anyway).  Uses the original screw holes so really easy to swap back - not that you'll want to.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    johnl said:
    Well, better quality was probably a poor choice of words on my part. Let's say I'd rather replace them with my "preferred alternative" as I'll shortly be doing with the pickups as well. I wasn't looking for clinical perfection from this guitar, just something with a bit of soul that played beautifully and it does that very well.

Fair enough.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    uncledick said:
    johnl said:
    They have the thumbwheel on the back.  Can't be seen from the front (on a PRS anyway).  Uses the original screw holes so really easy to swap back - not that you'll want to.
    Was just about to affirm that the thumbwheel versions are best. I have the other type of Gotoh locking tuners on my Yamaha 611 VFM...they look better than the thumbwheel version imo but a bit more of a faff to use. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Balls. I got impatient and ordered the non-thumbwheel versions. Time to order my 3rd set of tuners in 2 days then.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    johnl said:
    Balls. I got impatient and ordered the non-thumbwheel versions. Time to order my 3rd set of tuners in 2 days then.....
    They are still very good tuners and I'm used to them now. You just have to align the holes when you thread the string through. Some good vids on you tube that will make things clearer. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Right, this morning the postman delivered maaaaany different types of Kluson tuners however in the end I decided to go with these:

They're not locking but they look fantastic - far more convincing ageing than the stock Klusons, smoother to use and just really nice in general. The keys themselves are a little smaller and the nickel is a lot less shiny. I'd definitely recommend them as a cheap and easy upgrade.

Here's a few photos taken whilst I was installing them to show the difference between these and the stock:

And the final effect: