Neck and Fretwire on Collings i-35

What's Hot
BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
edited August 2013 in Guitar
I love my ES 339, in fact it's my go-to guitar for playing at home, but it's the basic plaintop model and I've been tempted to upgrade to something a little more refined.  

A couple of used Collings have really caught my eye recently - they generally seem feather-light, slightly smaller than a 335 (which is all to the good) and beautifully finished.

However I tend to prefer a slim neck and jumbo frets.  The Collings neck is described as medium fat and the frets as medium 18% nickel silver.  Anyone know what that actually means?  Will the neck be significantly fatter and/or the frets smaller than the Gibson (it's the 30/60 neck). I don't want to buy a guitar of that calibre if I'm immediately going to want to rip out the frets.
“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited August 2013
    The feel of a guitar is very much a matter of personal preference. That said, within reason I can get used to pretty much anything, given time.

I have no doubt the Collings will be beautifully engineered guitars; whether one would give you more than your Gibson is debatable. Though modern Gibson build quality tends to be 'okay' rather than 'perfect', the one thing I alway find myself having to accept is that their guitars sound good.

Collings/Suhrs et al will always beat Gibson & Fender in the perfection stakes; if you want a guitar that sounds like a classic Gibson or Fender, you may well find the boutique guitars 'miss' something....
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    Thanks Richard but that's a different issue - I'm really looking for something more objective information about fret and neck size on the Collings.  I have fairly set views on the boutique guitars v Gibson/Fender debate, and for me it generally comes down to whether you want a better guitar or an iconic badge.  That's not meant to be snide - I can perfectly understand the appeal of an iconic badge, and am by no means immune to it myself.

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I have a Collings 290,which has the same neck /fret wire description as the one your looking at. Personally, I think the frets are too fat and the neck too thin, so I guess you might be fine. Couldn't you tell how it felt when you played them?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2013
    I've ever played one.  Not near anyone who stocks them.  Just seen a couple advertised and based on my research they look exciting.  The tallness of the frets matters more to me than the width.

It's funny I've seen a couple of 290s come up to and based on what I read I don't think I'd have a problem with the neck/frets on those.  In fact if I'd liked the colour more I'd have been tempted.

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    edited August 2013
    Buy my 290 and find out for sure ;) Collings standard medium fat carve is perfection to my hand, sits midway between my fender strat with a 65 carve and my huge 52 tele carve if that helps.
    edited August 2013
    Not a lot to be honest.  I've never owned a Fender guitar (as opposed to Fender basses).

I did see your guitar. Looks tempting but I have real reservations about the dogshair finish. I don't necessarily dislike it, I just think it's risky. I could imagine after owning it for a few weeks I'd be thinking, yeah this is interestingly different, nice score.  Or I could be thinking what was I doing buying this, it's just not me. If it had been one of the more traditional finishes it would have seemed a safer bet.
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 451
    Basically for the sort of money you'll be paying you need to get your hands on one
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 459
    I have a City Limits with their normal mid c neck and a i35LC with a 60's style neck.  Quite a standard c shape neck profile and the 1st fret thickness is 0.865 and 0.835 resp, so I would put them at the slimmer and wider side of medium.  I can move from one to the other without any need to adjust.   I had a CS R0 before the city limits and it was thinner and I much prefer the Collings, mostly due to the neck feel.  Let me know if you need any measurements etc.  I highly recommend the Throbak options if you are going for humbuckers - they sound amazing and don't have a plenty of old school tone.  
  • Isn’t this thread 8 years old? Assuming the OP found a solution by now.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom