Fender FSR Superchamp X2

mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
I played a Superchamp XD some years back and thought it was OK but not spectacular. Any thoughts on the newer X2? I think my Yammy THR is ace but would like something that can go a bit louder and will take pedals a bit better (the THR doesn't take overdrive pedals too well).

This one looks nice

Previously had a Laney Cub which was nice but a bit wooly sounding, not the Fender sound that I'm looking for.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9686
    Ive always been interested in these too but what I would say is that they aren't as tube as the fairly vague descriptions might imply. Ive looked it up quite a lot and on Fender forums (fora?) it seems to be pretty well accepted that even the blackface voice channel is digital, but feeds (i think) to valve stuffs thereafter. That said i think most people try them thinking it is valve and seem pretty happy with it...

I could be wrong though

Somebody in the classifieds is selling a nodded one, with a line in to the power amp section and better speaker
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Thanks - I'm happy with a combination of tube and digital, so long as it sounds good :)

The Superchamp in classifieds has sold, it was the earlier XD model, but great price, I should have grabbed it !
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited April 2014
    There was a thread a month or so ago... in it I included the following YT link... this tells you all you need to know about how to dial up a good tone on an XD...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    That's just a guess though, I've never tried one.

• PyromanPyroman Frets: 58

I own one of these- the Super Champ X2.   It IS fairly compatible with pedals, but you can make it sound nasty, if you drive the main input too hard.  You do get more room to play with than the all digital Mustang series, however.

However, a drive pedal isn't strictly necessary, as ch2 offers you several flavors of dirt, from classic dirty Fender tones, to Voxy, Marshally, Mesa-ey, and 5150-ish.

I like mine a lot, and there are a lot of really nice tones in there.  The combo's speaker plugs into the speaker jack, so you can hook it up to a separate 8ohm cab of your choice.  The effects are quite nice, esp the reverb, tremolo, and delay.

The clean channel stays clean most of the way up.  I've run mine up to 8 or 9 on the dial, and while it got warmer and compressed, it never really got into overdrive territory.  Bonus- the taper on the volume pots is MUCH more gradual than on a lot of Fender amps, which often go from a whisper to an all out yell before you hit 2.5 or 3...  At 15 watts, it can get fairly loud, but not so loud you can't push it hard enough to get the power amp cooking without blowing the walls down.  ( it has a 2x 6v6 power amp)