Impressed by Eastman

What's Hot
chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3894
Having read a lot of positive comments and reviews, I went to try some Eastman electrics out at the weekend and I have to say I was really impressed.

First I tried the SB59/V which is their single cut.  It really was great. I know I’ll probably get some LOLs but it was up there with the custom shop Les Pauls I’ve owned. It was a really nice weight, nice neck, flawless fretwork on lovely ebony board, aged Gotoh hardware and Seymour Duncan antiquities which sounded great.

My favourite (possibly a NGD soon) was the T59/V, 335ish, but with an ebony board and 345 style inlays. This one had Seth Lover pickups. It really was a great guitar. I want it.

I also tried a T486B which was like the above but with a gloss finish, Phat Cats and a Bigsby B70, also great but the T59 had the edge for me.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    I've said a couple of times now, ignore where they are made - Ignore the brand name - And there is a lot going for the SB59/V and other electrics I've seen - By the way I don't sell them so no salesmanship favouritism on my part

I have a very discerning customer who owns, has owned many fine guitars by PRS, Collings, Fender Custom Shop + Masterbuilt etc etc etc and he now owns a SB59/V - Purchased purely on build quality, feel, tonal character etc

They are very nice instruments with a growing deserved reputation
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I had one of their acoustics a few years ago, the E10OM (basically a 000-18) and it was fantastic, easily up there with most Martins I e played for a fraction. Of the price.
  • Having read a lot of positive comments and reviews, I went to try some Eastman electrics out at the weekend and I have to say I was really impressed.

First I tried the SB59/V which is their single cut.  It really was great. I know I’ll probably get some LOLs but it was up there with the custom shop Les Pauls I’ve owned. It was a really nice weight, nice neck, flawless fretwork on lovely ebony board, aged Gotoh hardware and Seymour Duncan antiquities which sounded great.

My favourite (possibly a NGD soon) was the T59/V, 335ish, but with an ebony board and 345 style inlays. This one had Seth Lover pickups. It really was a great guitar. I want it.

I also tried a T486B which was like the above but with a gloss finish, Phat Cats and a Bigsby B70, also great but the T59 had the edge for me.
    I had a Jackson JS32 Dinky a couple of years ago: it had a couple of minor issues but it sounded good, and the neck felt almost identical to my Custom Shop Kelly, which was approximately 14 times the price
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    I really want one of their 335s, probably the 386 classic which I can then stick some Ox4s in. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 761
    I got an Eastman E6D when GuitarGuitar were blowing them out for £499 in 2017.  Absolutely faultless.  I see Coda have a second hand SB57 just come in...
  • They look great to me, the country of origin thing wouldn't put me off one bit. The P90 330-a-like with the Bigsby in particular tickles my fancy. Alas, the whole range is way out of my league price wise, but one can dream...
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3894
    They look great to me, the country of origin thing wouldn't put me off one bit. The P90 330-a-like with the Bigsby in particular tickles my fancy. Alas, the whole range is way out of my league price wise, but one can dream...
    That does look a great guitar, unfortunately they didn’t have one in stock to try.
  • They look great to me, the country of origin thing wouldn't put me off one bit. The P90 330-a-like with the Bigsby in particular tickles my fancy. Alas, the whole range is way out of my league price wise, but one can dream...
    This is the T64 with the vintage finish.I have the amber finish which looks like an old cello or violin. Almost like an old Gretsch orange. Also comes in a 'burst or a darker brown.
    I've had one since Christmas bought by the missus (with a little prompting from moi!)
    I've always loved 330's and have owned two from the '60's. The Eastman is a great guitar. The SD Antiquity P 90's are great and have even output when switching from each pickup which my old Gibson's never had. The  finish makes it feel like a 30 year old guitar with an old matte nitro finish though they have got the end result by French polishing. The relicing is done really well. They haven't built the guitar and then distressed the finish, the finish is obtained by holding back the colour stain in some areas to mimic wear patterns. It's then sealed with the varnish finish. All hardware components are top notch which they should be I suppose on a £1700 guitar. Gotoh tuners and bridge.Set up is great. Even with the bigsby only weighs 6lb which I love. Very pleased with mine.  Looks killer.  :) 

• I recently bought their J45 style acoustic and it’s stunning. It sits alongside a 59 Martin OOO18 and a very expensive luthier built guitar and whilst they are all obviously different it holds its own. I had one of the first Eastman archtops that entered the UK many years ago - it was great but had a few flaws but now that’s all ironed out. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BebopperBebopper Frets: 129
    I've no experience of their solid body guitars, but their arch tops and semi-acoustics are popular choices with jazz players. I've several professional jazz guitarist friends who play them as their main instrument.

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3132
    Sb59 owner here and love it. Was purchased after trying too many Gibson’s across the price ranges and this had the features I wanted at a price I could afford (there was no way I could stretch to a true historic).

I’ve also owned a T59 and it was a superb guitar too. Like the comment above I am hankering after a T64 (330).

You really can’t go wrong with Eastman and with secondhand prices so good there are some amazing bargains to be had (such as the sb59 that was on here for £850ish recently).
  • BBDBBD Frets: 5
    I have to agree with the guitars4you comment; I went to my local shop last week 'just looking' at semis, and came out a couple of hours later with an SB59/v-bk, completely sold on it. OK its not a semi, so failed that test, but it was easily the best thing I tried for feel, sound, mojo, etc. - and I have to say my respect for it continues to grow. They really do feel like they are up there with other custom shop offerings, and the vintage finish is an interesting alternative to the belt sander and heat-gun approach. I won't say I don't care about resale values, but I buy to play, not to invest, and I suspect this one will be a forever keeper.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom