Bassists using pedals

What's Hot

Comments

• How is less more? More is f@#king more!

Y Malmsteen
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I love effects...on everything!

But I do like bass with a bit of wallop, and you can lose that if you're not careful. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I do like a raw guit-amp sound too when I'm in the mood. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EggmanEggman Frets: 43

But I do like bass with a bit of wallop, and you can lose that if you're not careful. 
    You've summed up the dilemna in 2 sentences  :)
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    I think you need to talk to him and get across the fact that he sounds shiite. Be all the things I am not, like tactful, sensitive, subtle. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24251
    Make him listen to Jack Bruce more often. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Eggman said:

You've summed up the dilemna in 2 sentences  :)
    Split the signal into parallel paths then. Clean and dirty at the same time. Keep all the wallop with the fx. 
    Make him listen to this too.

Proper bass drive in the proper way.

https://youtu.be/59m6BoEVkng

• Hate it. Nothing better than a good pure bass tone imo
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    edited January 2019
    Buy another set of all his pedals and send them to ICBM for true-bypass modding, whether the pedal is on or off, then subtly switch them when he’s out of the room. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    There’s so many replies I could make to this that I don’t know which one to choose ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31572
    Make him listen to Jack Bruce more often. 
    Bad idea. If you think he's straying too far from holding the bottom end down already wait til he starts thinking he's at the Albert Hall in 1968. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • As a bassist I always have my compressor on. I kick in distortion for the hook in these boots are made for walking and some of all about the bass. For don't stop believing by journey, it's chorus for the complete song with occasional distortion.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5739
    Kids go through phases (that is what we all are right?)

He probably hasn’t got to be such a great player and part of the band without knowing what works for the song. A little time, with a little support to work through and experience the extremes and it’ll probably settle into a much more subtle trend. Hopefully? 
    Hate it. Nothing better than a good pure bass tone imo
    Define it.

P or J or buckers?

Flats or rounds or tapes?

Tone up or tone down?

modern clean amp or old valve warm?

Front pickup or back or both?

Fingers, slap, plectrum?

No such thing as a pure bass tone. Even on a DB the tone from finger tips or using the whole side of the finger gives a very different tone.
  • Bass guitarfretmeister said:
    Define it.

P or J or buckers?

Tone up or tone down?

Fingers, slap, plectrum?

No such thing as a pure bass tone. Even on a DB the tone from finger tips or using the whole side of the finger gives a very different tone.
    Bass guitar straight into an amp
    Bass guitarfretmeister said:
    Define it.

P or J or buckers?

Tone up or tone down?

Fingers, slap, plectrum?

Bass guitar straight into an amp

Saying Bass straight into an amp is as wide ranging as saying guitar straight into an amp.

Strat into Fender Princeton or Jackson Soloist into a Dual Rec?
  • The trick, I think, is to have a parallel path on the pedalboard which is just straight bass -> amp. That preserves the...bass, so you get all the desired low-end thump. Then mix in all the effects at no more than 50% overall, and you still get the effect without it feeling like all the balls have dropped out of the bottom.
    <space for hire>
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    The trick, I think, is to have a parallel path on the pedalboard which is just straight bass -> amp. That preserves the...bass, so you get all the desired low-end thump. Then mix in all the effects at no more than 50% overall, and you still get the effect without it feeling like all the balls have dropped out of the bottom.
    Yep. Absolutely. Which is why so many decent bass drives and preamps have a blend control to ensure a good chunk of the original signal. I personally wouldn’t buy or use a bass effect without blend. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    Bridgehouse said:

Which is why so many decent bass drives and preamps have a blend control to ensure a good chunk of the original signal. I personally wouldn’t buy or use a bass effect without blend. 
    I prefer to use a dirt pedal with bass boost. I'm not really a fan of the parallel-clean-blend thing even with bass, and I hate it with guitar. Bass chorus and flanger are about the only ones that I like with a blend.

Which is odd, since I like the Rickenbacker stereo system, so you can put one pickup through effects and the other not, if you want. That seems to work well for me, whereas splitting one signal and remixing it doesn't. I don't know why!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein