Midi controllers - alternative to behringer??

moz91moz91 Frets: 38
Basically I'm after a smaller alternative to the fcb1010 but I don't want to spend a fortune. Just need PC & CC - patch changes on two units and a tap tempo are the only things I really NEED. Extra CC control for a stomp box feature would be cool but not necessary.
Fcb does all this but has two expressions I don't use and is just way too big! Is there something I've missed that wouldn't take up as much room and that doesn't cost as much as say a GCP?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I think you're gonna struggle dude. There isn't anything that really comes close to the FCB for functionality. You wont get tap tempo-ability on some of the smaller units, only PC and CC (if you're lucky!)
  • moz91moz91 Frets: 38
    Aye that's what I keep finding, just wondered if I'd overlooked something. Peak mc8 or whatever it is looks like it would do it but it's a bit pricey for what you get!
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    Disaster area midi controllers?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • I find it quite strange that so many simple 4 button or so (usb) midi footcontrollers have popped up recently for use with vst plugins but nobody wants to make them with a standard DIN connection. Maybe it's not as easy to implement as I assume.

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    One Disaster Area midi controller just went on eBay this evening. I was bidding but it was getting too close to the price of a new one.
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • lentolento Frets: 116

The Yamaha MFC 10 is a great little unit with one in-built expression pedal. Size is 60 x 21cm approx.

I can control tap tempo for the TC G Major2 and it has really good features - but, you have to know your midi ....!

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26575
    edited April 2014
    I find it quite strange that so many simple 4 button or so (usb) midi footcontrollers have popped up recently for use with vst plugins but nobody wants to make them with a standard DIN connection. Maybe it's not as easy to implement as I assume.

It's the odd thing - implementing MIDI over USB is actually harder than implementing MIDI on its own...however, so many units use USB for other stuff these days that it seems to have become the standard. The Zoom G3, for example, actually does support MIDI across its USB port (you can use it with a MIDI-USB bridge to have a separate foot controller) as well as USB audio and firmware updates.

The problem, of course, is that USB cables suck ass when you're on stage - they're flimsy, and it's too easy to pull the plugs out of their sockets.
    <space for hire>
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    I have a Rocktron Midimate that I'm not using. PM me if you're interested.

Specs here:
    www.rocktron.com/midi-mate.html