2 point tremolo vs 2 point knife edge tremolo for a strat

What's Hot
Context: building a strat to my own specs - i.e. vintage tone with some modern upgrades for tuning stability and sustain. 

I've got to the stage of choosing a trem and for the sake of simplicity when drilling holes on the new body I've gone for a two point system. However I've com across a difference between 2 options for me: 

The 2 point pivot: https://www.jhs.co.uk/brands/wilkinson/wilkinson-bridges/wilkinson-2-pivot-screw-vibrato-chrome-25663  

The 2 point knife edge: https://www.jhs.co.uk/brands/wilkinson/wilkinson-bridges/wilkinson-wave-knife-edge-vibrato-chrome-steel-block

I appreciate the aesthetic differences but am I right in saying that the knife edge favours the floating trem ability? 

Advice on this stuff is greatly appreciated!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    edited January 2019
    Both designs involve a knife edge point of contact between the vibrato bridge baseplate and the pivots. The WVPSB type makes them easier to see.

With strings slackened or removed, the WVPSB can shift about relative to the pivots. The other type stays in position. It just rests back against the guitar body.

If you ever decide to deactivate the vibrato by setting hard against the guitar body top, this is easy to do on the two-screw version. The adjustable range of the WVPSB depends on how deeply you set the threaded inserts. If these are low enough to enable blocking off, they may be too deeply set for normal floating use. The further the pivots extend out of the threaded insert, the greater the possibility of the pivots wobbling. This will affect tuning stability.

The single most critical factor is to drill the pivot holes absolutely vertically on a bench drill.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom