Mustang/jag saddle upgrades

Has anybody upgraded the barrel saddles on a mustang/jagstang etc and if so what improvement do you get from doing it?
i’ve seen things like graph tech barrel saddles on ebay but are they any better than the stock ones?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• powerhandpowerhand Frets: 198
    I’ve replaced the whole bridge on my Jagstang with a Gotoh Tune-O-Matic bridge. My Kurt Cobain Mustang came with one already fitted. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Are you referring to the proper non-adjustable Mustang saddles or the budget Jaguar/Jazzmaster type found on some Squier variants and copies?

The GraphTech saddles are intended to be a one-size-fits-all solution to Jag/JM/Mustang problems.

In my opinion, the height adjustment grub screws are a major contributor to the stability problems in these guitars. The steel, non-adjustable Mustang design eliminates the saddle slippage at a stroke. 

On an American guitar, I would install a StayTrem bridge. Some on this forum prefer the Mastery system. I do not wish to re-open that debate here. On a Squier, the outlay may be difficult to justify.

Budget non-adjustable Mustang saddles should be available to match at least two popular fingerboard radius dimensions.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • A staytrem is usually the best way to go for a mustang, I tends to ring out a bit better and improves string spacing. If you fancy spending more a mastery is a great bridge.
     I wouldn't bother swapping the saddles you can still get issue with the stock mustang bridge posts (stay trem and mastery address this).
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.