Recording with HX Stomp

I am planning to take the stomp into the studio on Friday, and record directly - I've never done this before - can this be done directly from the USB connection, or do I need to connect the output of the Stomp into the mixing desk also?

If so, do I then simply change the "output level" from instrument to line?

Anything else I need to be aware of?

Cheers

Keir

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited January 2019
    Can be done via USB (download ASIO driver from the Line 6 website) - the HX Stomp can act as a soundcard - or you can connect it directly to a recording device/desk via balanced TRS cables.

Using USB allows up to 8 channels of audio so you can record your dry guitar signal, full mix or what's in the fx loop.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:
    Can be done via USB (download ASIO driver from the Line 6 website) - the HX Stomp can act as a soundcard - or you can connect it directly to a recording device/desk via balanced TRS cables.

Using USB allows up to 8 channels of audio so you can record your dry guitar signal, full mix or what's in the fx loop.

so, I have my DD500 in the FX Loop of the Stomp......does this mean I have to record via USB, or do you mean that recording with USB would allow me to record what's in the FX Loop on it's own, minus dry signal and other blocks in the signal chain?

If the studio is unwilling to download/install the required drivers, and I'm forced to connect via the balanced TRS cables, do I need to change the output level from "instrument" to "line"?

Thanks again

Keir

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

so, I have my DD500 in the FX Loop of the Stomp......does this mean I have to record via USB, or do you mean that recording with USB would allow me to record what's in the FX Loop on it's own, minus dry signal and other blocks in the signal chain?

If the studio is unwilling to download/install the required drivers, and I'm forced to connect via the balanced TRS cables, do I need to change the output level from "instrument" to "line"?

Thanks again

Keir

From the manual:

Computer Input

USB 1 and 2: Output of HX Stomp's Path A (with all Path A processing)

USB 3 and 4: Output of HX Stomp's Path B (with all Path B processing)

USB 5 and 6:  HX Stomp's Main L/MONO and RIGHT inputs (dry, no processing). Note that if you have a Return or FX Loop block, or the Input block is set to Return L/R, the Return/Aux In L/MONO and RIGHT signal will be captured as well.

USB 7 and 8: HX Stomp's Return/Aux L/MONO and RIGHT inputs (dry, no processing)

Computer Output

USB 1/2: HX Stomp's Main L/MONO, RIGHT and Phones outputs (direct, no processing) for monitoring your DAW's master output or jamming along with YouTube™, iTunes, etc.

USB 3/4: HX Stomp's stereo SEND stereo output (direct, no processing)

USB 5/6: HX Stomp's Input block for re-amping (only active when Input block is set to USB 5/6)

USB 7/8: The never-ending abyss (reserved for future use)

The manual has the info you need.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • aye, I had a look but I'm just a little clueless when it comes to setting things up for recording. Hopefully the engineer will be able to get his head round it.

Thanks - will see how I get on

• wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I would be very surprised if a commercial studio would be happy to install the software on their computer, it would be much simpler to just use the line outs. Also you don't want to be using expensive studio time for dicking around with IT stuff. But give them a phone in advance to check what they would prefer.
  • aye, I had a look but I'm just a little clueless when it comes to setting things up for recording. Hopefully the engineer will be able to get his head round it.

If you're OK with just using the guitar audio - as if you were going through an amp and being mic'd up - then use the TRS cables and they'll work out if it's too hot for their desk or not. They're the pro's. Have a great session and think about your playing, not the bloody HX Stomp! :-) 
  • Fretwired said:

Stuff like this makes me sad that this product was announced just after i'd bought a bloody HX Effects instead
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic

If you're OK with just using the guitar audio - as if you were going through an amp and being mic'd up - then use the TRS cables and they'll work out if it's too hot for their desk or not. They're the pro's. Have a great session and think about your playing, not the bloody HX Stomp! :-) 
    I’m totally fine with that, as long as the studio have the balanced cables cos I don’t. 

Its really to save me taking my amp, as there’s no parking etc near the studio so if I can just take the Stomp and my guitar, it’ll be a breeze. 

aye, I had a look but I'm just a little clueless when it comes to setting things up for recording. Hopefully the engineer will be able to get his head round it.

I’m totally fine with that, as long as the studio have the balanced cables cos I don’t. 

Its really to save me taking my amp, as there’s no parking etc near the studio so if I can just take the Stomp and my guitar, it’ll be a breeze. 
    Does the studio not have an amp you can use? 
  • wave100 said:

aye, I had a look but I'm just a little clueless when it comes to setting things up for recording. Hopefully the engineer will be able to get his head round it.

Does the studio not have an amp you can use? 
    It doesn’t look like it. I would want to use my own Badcat though if I was having to use any amp. I’ll take it in the car anyway, just don’t want to carry from the car park, up to the studio, muck around with mic’s etc if I don’t really have to 
    How did you get on?
  • wave100 said:
    How did you get on?
    The session overall was great and a success, but the Stomp.....not great.....couldn’t get it sounding good enough straight into the desk. Not sure what the issue was unfortunately - not for the want of trying and the enthusiasm of the engineer to try and get the Stomp working. 

We ended up using my amp, with the Stomp in the loop for effects, and also took a direct feed from the Stomp to allow more control over the effects during mixing. 

If i had a Badcat i'd be wanting to use that too!