Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

335 style semis-Epiphone, Gretsch or other?

What's Hot
Hi all, been lurking a while but I’m getting close to a purchase and would appreciate some opinions-been a bass player for 30+ years, my band has folded so I’m looking to improve my guitar playing so I can do something on my own-decided on a 335 style. Can’t justify big money, but about the £300-350 mark. Been eyeing up Gretsch g2622’s and Epiphone ES335 pros (was initially looking at Dot’s but been advised against those). Now leaning towards the Epi. Annoyed as I recently missed a Sheraton for £300 (not averse to something used). Any thoughts? Anything else I should be considering? Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Id be interested to know who advised against an Epiphone Dot. They really seem to be widely regarded as amongst the best value guitars in their price range, punching well above their weight. Perhaps there was confusion with the Dot Studio?
    Either way, dont dismiss them until you have played one.

Good hunting 
    Adam
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    Peerless hardtack/songbird/revolver for me.
    I’ve a gretech 2420t and that’s very well made also. Not quite as good as the peerless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    For what it's worth, I've had a few ES-335's, and am fond of them. However, I've also had a couple of Sheratons and a Dot and have really liked them as well. The Dot that I had was Samick-built in Korea, and I really rated it.  My feeling is that the Epiphones offer great value for money at that price. 
    Call me Dave.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Hamer XT Echotone. Try to find an Indonesian example rather than Korean.

If you can bear to be seen with something smaller, the Midtown/ES-336 models are worth considering. So is the old PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow - especially after American pickup upgrades.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Bob_GnarlyBob_Gnarly Frets: 139
    edited January 2019
    I recently bought an Ibanez AS-93 which you should get 2nd hand for around that money. I preferred that to the Epiphone Sheraton I played but different strokes and all that. But as with the Epi's you are getting a lot of guitar for the money. My Ibanez AS-153 is a thing of beauty and way nicer than a guitar you pay £450 for has any right to be.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7764
    Agree on the Peerless. Some Epis are ok and some Epis and Ibanez are characterless. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    edited January 2019
    Tokai if you can find one for the money.

On a budget, an Ibanez is the smart purchase for that style of guitar. 

I’m a big Gretsch fan, but at that price, you get much more for you money with Ibanez. The Gretsch will have a problematic Bigsbys B50, a crap nut, poor setup and severe tuning issues. The Ibanez will be spot on out of the box. 

I’d take an Ibanez AFS75T over a Gretsch G5420 any day (hollow, not 335 style). 

The Gretsch 2622 can be sorted. A new nut, ‘Bigsby Tuning Stabiliser mod’ for the B50, and a proper setup by a tech who gets Gretsch (most don’t), and you’ll have a stunning guitar, but that’s extra cost and a load of ball ache. 

For example, I bought a Fairlane Blue Gretsch G5420 when they came out. Sounded crap, played crap, felt crap. I had the tubers upgraded, had the nut replaced, sourced a squishy spring for the Bigsby, had it setup by someone who know his way around Gretsch foibles, and replaced the rattling bridge with a Tru Arc. I then spent a weekend fettling the pickup and pole piece heights until it sounded perfect. 

The end result was an incredible guitar, phenomenal sounding, fantastic playing beastie.......  but I hated it. I had reached my limit of patience with frigging around with it to get the best out of it, plus the cost of the parts and work combined with the buying price resulted in a very dissatisfied wallet.  I sold it in sharpish. 
    The guy who bought it from me got an excellent guitar at a very reasonable price, that was utterly lovely to play and pain free. 

Moral of the story, if you want a Gretsch, save your pennies and buy s proper Pro Line guitar. Leave the cheaper models well alone unless you live to mod and fettle guitars to your hearts content (or buy a used one from me, as they’re always perfectly sorted by the time I sell them)...!!

My cheap Ibanez is quite lovely. Mine was modded before I bought it (Filtertrons). A friend had the same guitar with stock pickups. I think his sounds better than mine! Stock, it’s an awesome guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I'm weighing in with the Hofner Verythin reissues. Chinese made and quite affordable secondhand. Only caveat is that the one I have had really dark-sounding pickups, so I've replaced the bridge one (HB sized P90), but otherwise they are very nicely made and play very well.

Otherwise I'd suggest the Epi Dot - these can be picked up used for 200 if you look around (gumtree seems to breed them!)
    There are bargain Epi Sheratons too, but I don't get on with those so wouldn't recommend one! :)
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    I have a Sheraton which I upgraded with BK Stormy Mondays (and new tuners, bridge, tailpiece and electronics!) and it really is a brilliant bit of kit.  I had a Dot too which, while very good, wasn't as nice as the Sheraton.
    I paid £285 for the Sheraton and case, which was a bargain in my view.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • I recently bought an Ibanez AS-93 which you should get 2nd hand for around that money. I preferred that to the Epiphone Sheraton I played but different strokes and all that. But as with the Epi's you are getting a lot of guitar for the money. My Ibanez AS-153 is a thing of beauty and way nicer than a guitar you pay £450 for has any right to be.
    Totally agree, I picked up my AS-153 on here for little over £400, it's a beautiful instrument and so worth the money :)
  • Thanks chaps for all the advice. I was advised against a Dot (or more accurately steered towards the 335 Pro) because of the mahogany neck and 'better woods', but having done a bit of research, I don't think that holds water. The Gretsch I fancy is the 2622, not the 2622t-I don't want a Bigsby at the moment, that can come later if I feel the need. Much food for thought, but I think I'm leaning towards the Epis, although the Hofners sound intriguing. Great though I know they are, can't get excited about an Ibanez. They also don't do many black ones, which is what I want. 
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

If you can stretch to £500, I am led to believe (although have never played one myself) that Peerless guitars are excellent value too. There is this one on Reverb right now, black with the ripple showing through, 3 x P90....

https://reverb.com/item/14961641-peerless-wizard-p90-archtop-guitar-gloss-black

Adam

• Oh flipping heck. I wish I hadn't seen that. Gorgeous, but definitely outside my range - especially at this time of the month! Thanks for the link though. 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    Kalimna said:

If you can stretch to £500, I am led to believe (although have never played one myself) that Peerless guitars are excellent value too. There is this one on Reverb right now, black with the ripple showing through, 3 x P90....

https://reverb.com/item/14961641-peerless-wizard-p90-archtop-guitar-gloss-black

Adam

I like Peerless guitars. I did have a Wizard Custom which didn't last too long, although nothing 'wrong' with it. It's slightly wider than a 335, from memory, and made playing sitting down a little more difficult. I like the 3xP90 sound, although I found the Peerless to be very noisy, and have had a couple of Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxes (Peerless-built) and a 1956 ES-5 Switchmaster (same pickup configuration. Again, from memory, the middle pickup can get in the way if you tend to dig in a bit, or play fingerstyle. 
    Call me Dave.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

I had a Wizard Custom too, it felt great though the pickups were a bit dark I think, it had a surprising amount of sustain for a hollowbody. Was a good bit nicer built than the older MIK Dot I had, but both were perfectly good playing machines. Although as^^ for me the third pickup was in the way often.

Washburn did some 335 types too I think? Not played any though.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The Epi Dots are well made. I have and and upgraded it with Gibson '59 pickups, Tone Pros bridge and a new wiring loom. Everyone that plays it loves the guitar. The basic build quality is very good so it makes a good base guitar to upgrade later.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    Fretwired said:
    The Epi Dots are well made. I have and and upgraded it with Gibson '59 pickups, Tone Pros bridge and a new wiring loom. Everyone that plays it loves the guitar. The basic build quality is very good so it makes a good base guitar to upgrade later.
    Agree. I bought a Cherry Epi Dot and replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncan 59 Vintage Blues set and a whole new wiring harness from @sixstringsupplies It really does sound great and plays lovely.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    @Fretwired Which Tone Pros bridge did you get? And was it worth it?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I'm not normally fussy about aesthetics but crikey, that tailpiece is ugly!!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom