Raised fret - what to do?

What's Hot
ColsCols Frets: 6953
My high E string keeps getting stuck under the edge of the lower frets, so I suspect one or more of them has popped up slightly.  What do I need to do to resolve this?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• King85King85 Frets: 631
    edited January 2019
    Pics would help.

To clarify, are you pulling the string off the edge of the fret board and it's getting stuck? 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I had this on one of my guitars. Problem was, the fret wasn’t actually high, so tapping it down would have made it low.

So to fill the gap, I took small splinters from a toothpick and stuck them under the raised part of the fret, with a bit of wood glue, then cut off the excess with a stanly knife. That effectively stopped the e string from getting trapped underneath.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    King85 said:
    Pics would help.

To clarify, are you pulling the string off the edge of the fret board and it's getting stuck? 
    That’s it exactly.  Will take pics when I have a chance to get the guitar out.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    Could just need filing smooth then at the fret edges. 

If you get a straight edge, a bank card or something and place it over only 3 frets, the suspected high one being in the middle, does it rock back and fourth? 

Depending on your action you might also notice some string/fret buzz when playing the fret before the suspected high one. 

If not though It might not be a high fret, and just a small gap, some fret sprout or something at the edge. 

Do the frets otherwise feel smooth when you grab the neck and run your hand up and down it?

The other question is, whats the reason your high E slips off the board? 

If each E string isnt equidistant from the fretboard edges and thus the high e is much closer, and the guitars a bolt on, there may be a simple fix for that which, although wouldnt fix the string getting caught under the fret when it does come off, it might help prevent the string from slipping off in the first instance.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    edited January 2019
    Pics in the link:

https://imgur.com/gallery/FjpIaC7

Using the check with the straight edge advised by @skunkwerx there’s a slight lift at the 7th fret. With regard to the question “Why does the high E slip off the edge of the fretboard?”, probably just movement from heavy pick attack.  It’s a set neck, so unlikely to be the neck shifting.  The string isn’t close to the edge at rest (see pic), so it’s not a neck alignment issue.

Probably also worth mentioning that the guitar is 12 years old, and this is a recent problem.
    Can you do a pic with it in the stuck position too?
    King85 said:
    That was the first photo from the side.  Here it is from above:

https://imgur.com/gallery/ILGIOi1
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Cols said:
    Pics in the link:

https://imgur.com/gallery/FjpIaC7

Using the check with the straight edge advised by @skunkwerx there’s a slight lift at the 7th fret. With regard to the question “Why does the high E slip off the edge of the fretboard?”, probably just movement from heavy pick attack.  It’s a set neck, so unlikely to be the neck shifting.  The string isn’t close to the edge at rest (see pic), so it’s not a neck alignment issue.

Probably also worth mentioning that the guitar is 12 years old, and this is a recent problem.
    If the offending fret is actually high then I’d try tapping it down with something like the handle of a screwdriver. With luck it might stay down. If it doesn’t you might need the help of some glue and a clamp to clamp it down for a while.
    Cols said:
    King85 said:
    That was the first photo from the side.  Here it is from above:

https://imgur.com/gallery/ILGIOi1
    Apologies not sure how I missed that.

I agree with the above though a light tap with a nylon hammer or something to see if this cures it. If it does then you know that the fret is at issue and should it happen again you can then look at your options to fix that. If its still an issue I guess you'd need to look at some way to fill the gap.