Struggling to find the right PSU.

What's Hot
oligibbonsoligibbons Frets: 3

I'm looking to power my pedal board without spending an arm and a leg. Is anyone able to point me in the right direction. I don't really want to spend £100+ (yes, I'm a cheapskate). The pedals on the board, and their voltages/draws are:
EHX Canyon - 9V 150mA

EHX Ocean's 11 - 9V 150mA

TC Electronic Hypergravity - 9V 100mA

MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion - 9V 6mA

CKK Royal Fuzz - 9V 10mA

Ibanez Tube Screamer Mini - 9V 5mA

Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95 - 9V 2mA

Biyang Baby Boom Time Machine - 9V 200mA (this one isn't essential. It was a Christmas gift so I feel like I need to include it, but I'd happily not power it)

Mooer Micro Looper - 9V 140mA

Boss TU-3 - 9V 85mA

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Daisy chain them and hope for the best...

My advice would be to spend once on a decent powersupply and do the job properly. Best course of action in the long run IMO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Most of those drives won’t mind being daisy chained together so something like a Cioks DC5 would be a good shout. They regularly crop up on here for around 80 quid.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

I would say that power is something you do wanna spend out on.
    if you can bump your budget up a bit and get something decent with some room for expansion its worth doing.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    edited January 2019
    I’ve got the Hypergravity and it wouldn’t work off a 100ma supply, it draws more than that on start up. It just kept dropping out until I fed it from a higher current supply.

You can daisychain the drives and wah, but the digital high draw things will definitely benefit from a decent PS with isolated outputs, it cuts out hum/noise that digital pedals can suffer from.

If you want to keep the cost down, try the Harley Benton Junior supply from Thomann (I’ve never tried one, but plenty of people on here reckon they’re decent enough and that model has isolated outputs. The ordinary HB one doesn’t, so be careful) The Carl Martin PS is a good choice, but that’ll cost around £100. 
  • simonk said:
    Daisy chain them and hope for the best...

My advice would be to spend once on a decent powersupply and do the job properly. Best course of action in the long run IMO.
    Yeah I'm currently daisy chaining them, and it seems to do an okay job, but everything sounds a bit watered down - probably as they're not getting enough juice
  • boogieman said:
    I’ve got the Hypergravity and it wouldn’t work off a 100ma supply, it draws more than that on start up. It just kept dropping out until I fed it from a higher current supply.

You can daisychain the drives and wah, but the digital high draw things will definitely benefit from a decent PS with isolated outputs, it cuts out hum/noise that digital pedals can suffer from.

If you want to keep the cost down, try the Harley Benton Junior supply from Thomann (I’ve never tried one, but plenty of people on here reckon they’re decent enough and that model has isolated outputs. The ordinary HB one doesn’t, so be careful) The Carl Martin PS is a good choice, but that’ll cost around £100. 
    Ah okay. Thanks for the heads up about the Hypergravity. 

I'll look into the Harley Benton Junior. I've always thought that drives, even though have very low draws, require isolated power for reduced hum/noise. I'm guessing I'm wrong here?
  • sgosden said:

I would say that power is something you do wanna spend out on.
    if you can bump your budget up a bit and get something decent with some room for expansion its worth doing.

Yeah I'm starting to think that you're right. I think I'm just being impatient. Wanting to get it all ASAP rather than taking the time to do it properly.
  • WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 165
    The Biyang probably has a lower draw than 200mA - according to this: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/2339 it's more like 10mA
    the rest of the values look about right though.

How are you powering them at the moment?

You'll probably get away with daisy chaining some of the pedals but there will be some that will probably need an isolated supply so you don't get clock noise and ground loops.

From the list I'd say you could probably daisy chain these off a single output on a power supply:
    CKK Royal Fuzz - 9V 10mA
    Boss TU-3 - 9V 85mA

The others I think would want isolated outputs

My suggestions would be:
    MXR ISO Brick (just over £100) - Don't get the MXR DC brick as that doesn't have isolated outputs.

T Rex Fuel tank JR - (The Harley benton power plant jr is a clone from thomann which will be cheaper) 
    This only has 5 outputs so you will probably have to daisy chain one of the other pedals - hopefully there will be one of those that plays nicely when daisy chained.

Vitoos iso4 plus - this will probably be the cheapest option - just depends whether you want to go with a more well known "trusted" brand. I have seen positive posts about it on here and the gear page.

Also take a look here:
    http://stinkfoot.se/power-supplies
    There's a massive list with loads of specs of pretty much any power supply you can get.

• WeZ84 said:
    The Biyang probably has a lower draw than 200mA - according to this: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/2339 it's more like 10mA
    the rest of the values look about right though.

How are you powering them at the moment?

You'll probably get away with daisy chaining some of the pedals but there will be some that will probably need an isolated supply so you don't get clock noise and ground loops.

From the list I'd say you could probably daisy chain these off a single output on a power supply:
    CKK Royal Fuzz - 9V 10mA
    Boss TU-3 - 9V 85mA

The others I think would want isolated outputs

My suggestions would be:
    MXR ISO Brick (just over £100) - Don't get the MXR DC brick as that doesn't have isolated outputs.

T Rex Fuel tank JR - (The Harley benton power plant jr is a clone from thomann which will be cheaper) 
    This only has 5 outputs so you will probably have to daisy chain one of the other pedals - hopefully there will be one of those that plays nicely when daisy chained.

Vitoos iso4 plus - this will probably be the cheapest option - just depends whether you want to go with a more well known "trusted" brand. I have seen positive posts about it on here and the gear page.

Also take a look here:
    http://stinkfoot.se/power-supplies
    There's a massive list with loads of specs of pretty much any power supply you can get.

Wow, thanks for the information and your suggestions. I don't know where I got 200mA from for the Biyang then...

I'll have a look at all of those power supplies. I have been looking at the MXR ISO Brick, but was worried as it only had 5 outputs, and didn't really want to daisy chain. That was more out of ignorance though. Linking up those 5 pedals you've mentioned certainly sounds appealing now, and I can go for a much smaller PSU.

I'm not exactly dead set on only buying 'big' names. If it does the job, I'm happy to go down that road, so long as I can find enough reviews from people who have experience with the product. 
  • WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 165
    For the Biyang thing, sometimes the value written on the pedal is higher than the actual typical draw.
    For example my Digitech Whammy 5 has 9v, 1300ma written on it which matches and the supply that comes with it.
    In the manual the stated current draw for the whammy is 265mA so it may be something like that with the biyang

I was thinking of this MXR ISO brick: https://www.andertons.co.uk/mxr-iso-brick-power-supply
    They do a "mini" version that only has 4 outputs and the DC brick where the outputs are not isolated so it is just a glorified daisy chain really.
  • WeZ84 said:
    For the Biyang thing, sometimes the value written on the pedal is higher than the actual typical draw.
    For example my Digitech Whammy 5 has 9v, 1300ma written on it which matches and the supply that comes with it.
    In the manual the stated current draw for the whammy is 265mA so it may be something like that with the biyang

I was thinking of this MXR ISO brick: https://www.andertons.co.uk/mxr-iso-brick-power-supply
    They do a "mini" version that only has 4 outputs and the DC brick where the outputs are not isolated so it is just a glorified daisy chain really.
    Ahhhh okay, my bad. Yeah, I think that MXR one is the safest bet, but at the same time, I really can't afford to drop £130-odd on a PSU when I've got two final pedals to pick up as well (TU-3 and Tube Screamer Mini). Id set myself a deadline of the end of the month to get the board sorted as I'm piecing together a studio, and need to ready by June. 

I'm currently looking into all of the other ones you've mentioned. I do like the look of the Vitoos ISO4 Plus, but I'd want to do a lot more research before taking then plunge.
  • steersteer Frets: 1186
    Why not stick a WTB ad on here, and see what people have? That's what I did, ended up with several decent options. Ended up buying a good Voodoo Labs unit that has cured the buzzing that I was getting off of my old cheap PSU. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    I got a 2nd hand burkey flatliner pro for the AC and plethora of isolated DCs. It’s massively overspecd and 100% indestructible. (And massive)  But now it’s bought it’ll stay with me for life. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.