Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Darkness

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26873
    merlin said:
    I first heard of them when I saw them at the Isle of Wight in 2003. I thought they were a pastiche band, taking the piss out of themselves and the genre but doing it really well.

The thing is, they started out seriously tongue in cheek, but playing good rock music really well, and having fun on stage. 

Then they got huge overnight, Justin took too *way* too much coke and forget it was supposed to be fun.  Since the comeback they've remembered what it was all about - fun and silliness over massive riffs. They're in on the whole thing, and it works brilliantly - everything is done with a knowing wink. 

Contrast Steel Panther (who act like they're not joking) and Kiss (who don't realise they are a joke)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7761
    This thread got me to listen to Last of our Kind which is cool. 

The Premier Guitar rig rundown with Justin is really funny. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If anyone remains unconvinced... behold the second verse of Solid Gold

There's a guy coming down from Sony
    Artist an' repertoire
    If he likes what he hears in those stupid ears
    I'll buy myself a faster car
    He's blowing smoke up our asses
    Everything we do is ace
    He wants to wine and dine us, desperate to sign us
    'Cause we melted his fuckin' face

• Yep - very clever.

The wordsmithery in Buccaneers of Hispaniola is ruddy brilliant as well
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I’ve tried but I don’t get it - competent, but music not half as clever as the creators think it is and devoid of any real emotion. 
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2371
    Met Justin after a Hot Leg gig in Cambridge, he was quite funny. Possibly helped that I took the piss out of him in front of the crowd of people hanging around (I’d had a couple of drinks). 

Last album is great, lyrics in Japanese Prisoner of love are great :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I have to say I’m not bothered about emotional content in this sort of thing. 

Its filed under the same category as AcDc and (especially) Thin Lizzy, but with more emphasis on unashamed fun.
  • Ive been on a voyage of rediscovey of late with this band. I loved Permission to land to bits and played it to death when it came out, but other than a couple of tracks off the follow up (One way Ticket....) i I wasnt so impressed and then of course it all imploded in the only way it ever could.

There was always that inclination to chalk them up as a joke band in the same vein as Steel Panter, but i have over the last few weeks been listening to the whole back catalogue and I have reached the following conclusion which should now be taken as law.

1. Justin Hawkins is a bit of a knob but also one of the most underated lead guitarists of a generation

2. Dan Hawkins isnt so much of a knob and is one of the best rhythmn guitarists of a generation

3. Justin Hawkins lyrics are incredibly clever at times.

4. The last 2 albums - Last of our Kind and Pinewood Smile are brilliant, brilliant rock records, (Buccaneers of Hispaniola and Barbarian being two stand out tracks)

5. Live - They blow pretty much every act of the genre off the stage

6. Justin Hawkins has had his teeth fixed at last.

7. I really look forward to his falsetto bits now, whereas they did begin to grate a bit originally

8. They now have Roger Taylors son on the drums and he's good

9. Controversially, I feel that they should occupy the hole in the music world that was once occupied by Queen

Feel free to flame me on point 9.

1. Agree to an extent, but, a lot of that was the drugs. He's an OK guitarist. He's a lot better now than he used to be. Back in the Permission to Land hey-day he was playing Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifiers, which just pack so much gain it kinda made it easier for him to cover up his occasionally sloppy playing. Back in that time he was playing guitar pretty much the entire set. He doesn't really do that any more, and his rig is much simpler. 

2. His playing is much more pivotal part of TD's sound, both live and in the studio now. He can really hold his own now.

3. Yes. Yes they are. 

4. The are, for different reasons to the previous. You haven't made any comment on Hot Cakes anywhere. It's again a very different album to the others. There is good songs. There's also some utter tripe. 

5. Agreed 100%

6. I couldn't care less what he did with his teeth, personally, the fact is the Pinewood Smile album cover still looks like shite. 

7. He can't quite hit the note anymore. 

8. Yes, Rufus Taylor is an excellent drummer. So was Emily Dolan Davis who played on Last Of Our Kind. There was nothing wrong with Ed Graham, but Rufus is an excellent drummer. 

9. No. Wash your mouth out. Nobody can replace Queen. Nobody can out-Queen Queen. They can sure as hell have a damn good go at it though (refer to "Rock in Space", bonus track from Pinewood Smile). IMHO, should've been a main album track and opener. Subject to opinion. Yes, as I said, they are great... but Queen's still untouchable. 
  • 10.  The Darkness are the band Guns n Roses could have been. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Where’s @LesbianWithAGun ? His response to this would be most entertaining 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Where’s @LesbianWithAGun ? His response to this would be most entertaining 
    Look I love Permission to Land, but even I think that's proposterous lol
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7761
  • Love open fire 

But I'm surprised they haven't had a call from Mr Duffy and Mr Astbury about the riff
  • Love open fire 

But I'm surprised they haven't had a call from Mr Duffy and Mr Astbury about the riff
    Probably too busy fielding calls from the Antipodean Young brothers about their post-goth output. 

• Hahahahahahahahahaaahaahahha greatest band hahahahahahahhahahahahaa clever lyrics hahahahahahahahahahha

No.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ