PSA> 2nd hand Atkin SJ on sale

What's Hot
WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
in Acoustics tFB Trader
She's a little beat up - but if you can get past the aesthetics and a bit of rash at £995 it could be worth a buy

https://notomguitars.com/collections/sale/products/2010-atkin-sj-std

www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've played it, it's really good and I've been tempted to trade my Eastman dreadnought in for it, but I can't get past the aesthetics - to me it looks a bit too much like the kind of guitar a wizard might have. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    @brojangles HA! It does look a little beat .. but they are such good guitars
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah I don't mind the beat-upness at at all, it's more the massive round bottom on it - gives it a kind of tripped out D&D illustration vibe, in my mind. Which is shallow of me because it plays really well and sounds great. (In fairness my Eastman dread does too though.) 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    It’s just a slightly smaller version of a traditional jumbo guitar, like the SJ200 and many others. Jumbos have always been popular but the size puts some players off - hence the ‘small jumbo’ design.

If the one for sale just has an honest eight years of wear and no defects it is a heck of a bargain at that price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    @Jimbro66 It's pretty well worn - but its just because it's a great sounding guitar. Nothing structural that I can see .. just great tone!
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5141
    I was recently very kindly notified of this one (I’m currently looking for a nice acoustic) thanks @jimmyguitar ; :) unfortunately as it hasn’t got fretboard marker dots I can’t play it.... I need dots, definitely need dots.. :)
    tFB Trader
    @tone1 what's your budget? 
    @Anchorboy as little as possible really... but feel free to offer up anything  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1 said:
    I was recently very kindly notified of this one (I’m currently looking for a nice acoustic) thanks @jimmyguitar ; :) unfortunately as it hasn’t got fretboard marker dots I can’t play it.... I need dots, definitely need dots.. :)
    For this price you could take it to a luthier and ask them to install dots!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Side dots are a very straight forward operation. Don’t let dots put you off. 

edited January 2019
    I bought a Telecaster last year that I couldn’t play due to a large neck, so I’d like to try before I buy if I can now...I can’t visualise a 45mm wide neck or Chunky 50’s Les Paul etc...but the Atkin looks great 
    There’s a couple of good deals there. If I had the money that Waterloo WL S would be in my rack by the weekend. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    tone1 said:
    My Atkin OM doesn't have fretboard face marker dots but it does have side marker dots. I think all of Alister's guitars have side markers. I find side markers easier to see than having to unnaturally lean forward to see face markers.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    Waterloo WLS Deluxe is inbound :)
    tFB Trader
    Good job @mgaw - they're great little guitars
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    thanks @Anchorboy haven't had a little guitar for a long time and miss it...sound superb in the demos excited to get it...give it a few weeks and knowing my fickle nature it will be in the classifieds!
    Super cheap. I’m a big fan of these
    I’ve not seen one that cheap over here. And it’s got the fancy trim. 
    Hook me up if you get bored of it. I’ll have more cash by then...
    dont forget now mgaw!
    tFB Trader
    @Andy79 scrap that buy my wee Avalon in the classifieds! 
    I’ve spent a good while pouring over your guitar. It’s an unknown quantity for me. Something tells me X bracing and rosewood will make it to delicious, jingally and rich sounding for me. I’m more of a ladder braced birch kinda-guy. 
    Tis a beautiful guitar though