Patch Cables for a Switcher

What's Hot
preston61preston61 Frets: 690
edited January 2019 in FX

Morning all

I've just purchased a switcher pedal to make my life a little easier on the old pedal stomping front.

I've been using the cheap Stagg cables for a while, but they do tend to break fairly easily and I was left in a bit of a pickle last week when they did,

Just wondering, for those that use switching pedals, what patch cables do you use? I've made some before with the solderless kits, and in all honesty I'd rather avoid that as they are a right faff. I can't solder either, so that's off the table.

Would appreciate your suggestions

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Any reason you can't *learn* to solder? You can get a cheap soldering iron and all the bits to make a ton of patch cables for less than a branded solderless cable set.

If not, which switcher? The layout of the jack sockets will make a difference to what will fit...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    edited January 2019
    Any reason you can't *learn* to solder? You can get a cheap soldering iron and all the bits to make a ton of patch cables for less than a branded solderless cable set.

If not, which switcher? The layout of the jack sockets will make a difference to what will fit...

Simply put bud, my plate is far too full to try add something else to it.

It's a disaster area DPC5

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    If you've got time to mess about with solderless kits, you've got time to solder a few patch cables. I'm not convinced that they're time saving.
    Sassafras said:
    If you've got time to mess about with solderless kits, you've got time to solder a few patch cables. I'm not convinced that they're time saving.

Which is why I said I'd rather avoid doing them
  • You're going to need to be careful about the plugs you use- the sockets on the back of the DPC5 are in two rows and pretty close together so any right angle jacks are potentially not going to fit. 

The solderless plugs are usually designed small for just such a situation, but pre-made patch cables are often right angled. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

You're going to need to be careful about the plugs you use- the sockets on the back of the DPC5 are in two rows and pretty close together so any right angle jacks are potentially not going to fit. 

The solderless plugs are usually designed small for just such a situation, but pre-made patch cables are often right angled. 

cheers for the advice bud, I'll wait to get the DPC5 first and then see what I'm up against
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    Ernie ball do straight to right angle, but they're only available in the 1.5ft length. Its about £17 odd for 3. 

The other option, though probably a bit more expensive would be to get it all laid out, then measure and have someone make a bunch of cables up for you. 

Theres some people on here I believe that can do that. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Talk to @CustomPedalBoards. Chris has some fantastic solderless cable kits and has a great deal of experience building boards around switchers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerx said:
    Ernie ball do straight to right angle, but they're only available in the 1.5ft length. Its about £17 odd for 3. 

The other option, though probably a bit more expensive would be to get it all laid out, then measure and have someone make a bunch of cables up for you. 

Theres some people on here I believe that can do that. 

This is easily the best option imo. I have a disaster area dpc5. I needed straight jacks out the back for them to fit. That takes up more space than you might think because you have to allow for the cable to ‘bend’ out of the jack

http://tinypic.com/r/2mgt749/9

squareplugs

These will fit in the back of the dpc if space is an issue and seemed to be much better quality than the cheapo pancake jacks. They are not cheap though
  • I found George L’s to be great for using with a switcher, since the cables are quite thin. Yo Could also use straight George L jack’s Which are decent sized
    I've just come across pedal patch UK,  anyone have any experience with them?
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    I can make patch cables for you (soldered) but personally I've always used Lava solderless for my pedal boards (I had a G2 for a couple of years).

R.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    Evidence audio sis are the only kits I use now for my patch cables. Easy to assemble and reliable. As long as you don't keep pulling them out and in and reordering your board they'll be no problem. With your switcher that can arrange order of things you won't need to anyway :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    edited January 2019
    clarkefan said:
    Helpful ;-)
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Bumping this old thread. Any tips on what to use?
  • Lebarque said:
    Bumping this old thread. Any tips on what to use?
    I can only repeat what I said nearly four years ago:

I can make patch cables for you (soldered) but personally I've always used Lava solderless for my pedal boards (I had a G2 for a couple of years).

R.
  • I'd maybe think about getting them made . https://custom-lynx.co.uk/product/sps5-upc-sps5/