Tonerider AC4 any good?

What's Hot
Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
edited January 2019 in Guitar
I recently purchased an epiphone sheraton in wine red for £400. I’ve been thinking about replacing the pickups because this is my main guitar and I just don’t like the epiphone pro-buckers. I’m looking for some classic style PAF pickups but don’t want to spend too much. I’m thinking about the tonerider AC4 set for £70 off amazon. Anyone had any experience with these? Are they really an upgrade from the stock pickups. I mostly play stone roses, the smiths and oasis. How do they distort and how do they sound clean?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    tonerider rocksong are what you need

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    It’s also worth saying I need them with gold covers and would be getting a guitar tech to fit them. Can I just buy the pickups and buy covers separately and the tech will fit them?
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4168
    edited January 2019
    I had a set of Tonerider Generators in an RG450 and they were fantastic pickups.

I don't think you can just buy the pickups and the covers separately, but most pickup makers offer a choice of finishes. Have a look at axetec.co.uk for Irongear pickups: I'd say they're about equivalent to Tonerider, and they do a range of pickups and finishes, I'm sure you'll find what you need there
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

I had a set of Tonerider Generators in an RG450 and they were fantastic pickups.

I don't think you can just buy the pickups and the covers separately, but most pickup makers offer a choice of finishes. Have a look at axetec.co.uk for Irongear pickups: I'd say they're about equivalent to Tonerider, and they do a range of pickups and finishes, I'm sure you'll find what you need there
    I’ll have a look. I’m not looking for anything too hot or and I’m looking for them  to be affordable. 
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    tonerider rocksongs come in gold /chrome /black/zebra
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2257
    I put Rocksongs on an old Vantage rebuild I did a while ago. I liked them - not stupidly hot...
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I put Rocksongs in a Dot and its was a huge upgrade .Even  as I tuned it up  you hear how good they were ..A2's are great too as are their Tele and strat pickups .
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    edited January 2019
    Calum13 said:
    tonerider AC4 set 
    I had a covered Tonerider AC4 in the neck/Rhythm position of an Epiphone B.B. King Lucille model. IMO, it did the hollow Gibson jazz/blues thang pretty well - just never as nice as a Seymour Duncan SH-1n with an A4 magnet swap or, in all probability, their new Saturday Night Special model. 

mark123 said:
    tonerider rocksong 
    This is what I had in the bridge/Treble position. It could rock but was never as aggressive as, for example, a Duncan SH-4 JB or Tonerider's own Generator model would have been.

Calum13 said:
    I’m looking for some classic style PAF pickups but don’t want to spend too much.
    In that case, I respectfully suggest that you hold out until you can afford to spend a bit more. Browse this forum's Parts £ classified ads. There could be bargains there.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    I put an ac4 in a Fretking it was nice enough but much brighter than the Wilkinson in the neck so I had to change that as well.

IIRC Tonerider are the pickups fitted to Squier Classic Vibe guitars.

I'd get something better from the classifieds if it was me. If you are paying to have them fitted you might as well get something that's a big upgrade.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Yes I put a set of these in my Sheraton, superb upgrade for the money. I replaced all the wiring harness as well. 
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Sorry they were the AC2 set. If you want a sweeter treble go with the AC2’s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
     AC4s are great.
    Yeah, I think I’ll go with the AC4 set, how much does it usually cost to get them fitted?
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited January 2019
    I have a 1989 Epi Sheraton II (from the Samick factory) and put in Seymour Duncan 59 sh1's with gold pup covers that were an optional extra from SD. Had the pups and covers professionally fitted. The sh1's are based on original PAFs and my Sherry now sounds about as close to a 335 as you can get without dropping two and a half grand. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)