Vintage Noiseless Pickups in a Vintage V6 - please help

mistyjessmistyjess Frets: 0
edited January 2019 in Making & Modding
Hello all, Call me bonkers for doing this (badly soldering might I add)- need help. Upgrading my V6 with some noiseless pickups with the mid boost TBX tone kit. Can anyone help advise on the wiring between the 3 pots and the pickup selector (standard imported version that came with guitar) any further please? So many diagrams out there and they all seem to be different. Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    My best advice to you is not to waste time, effort or money by re-using the original PCB type switch. 

The Fender TBX is not a midrange booster device. It is just a dual mode passive roll off Tone control. 

The Fender mid booster devices require onboard +9volts battery power. 

Are the dual coils in your “Noiseless” replacement pickups side-by-side (like a Rails pickup) or stacked vertically? The latter can be considerably taller than traditional single coil designs.

Check that the existing pickup cavities are deep enough to accommodate stacked coil pickups and have clearance for their height adjustment screws.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Hi there funkfingers- thanks for the reply. I have the full kit you see with the board and everything. The pickups (Fender Vintage Noiseless) fit in the cavity and everything else is ready to go- are you saying I should just but a Fender switch to make it easier to follow the diagram? Cheers
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited January 2019
    mistyjess said:
    are you saying I should just buy a Fender switch to make it easier to follow the diagram?
    That would be a beneficial side effect. The main reason is that, being combat-tested military spec, the sprung CRL type switch will be withstand the abuse meted out by Rock musicians.

mistyjess said:
    the full kit you see
    I see naaartheeng, Mister Fawlty. (You have posted no photographs.)

If I recall correctly, Fender N3 Noiseless pickups for Stratocaster are supplied with unusual resistance tapers for the tone controls (custom taper D250k). Audio or linear taper pots will work but they may put some unusual loading on the pickups. 

If you intend to replicate the Fender Clapton signature Stratocaster circuit, it is probably wisest to follow the official schematic diagram - except, maybe, minus the TBX Tone control.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.