Harrison mixbus

What's Hot
Just downloaded it - on special at $39 inc 5 plugins. Been using reaper on and off for a while.

First play, really intuitive and easy to use.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    For $39 it's a steal. Many people use it for mixing down their stems built in their main daws. (me included).
    It hates the native ASIO drivers for my Roland Octa-Capture, won't play ball at all with them.. I end up having to use Asio4All.
    Just be prepared for the endless onslaught of emails from their sales department trying to get you to upgrade to the 32C version.  It often gets offered at $99.. but it's always an ex-VAT price :/
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I got it when the previous version came out a few years ago hoping to use it as a cheap DAW, however found it quite unstable and  it now resides unloved and lonely on my old computer.
    Not a very helpful response so sorry about that! I'm sure it's much better now...
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2942
    32c user here.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    edited January 2019
    wave100 said:
    I got it when the previous version came out a few years ago hoping to use it as a cheap DAW, however found it quite unstable and  it now resides unloved and lonely on my old computer.
    Not a very helpful response so sorry about that! I'm sure it's much better now...
    Worry not - still useful feedback!

Let's see if they've got better. So far working fine with my focusrite interface. It'll only be used as a kind of digital portastudio, so I won't be asking much of it.

I'll report back in due course, although still tempted to revert to a zoom r8 or livetrak for tracking to avoid distractions. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited January 2019
    I gave Mixbus 32C a go on my MacBook and found it unstable too. It's on the latest OS whatever it's called. Perhaps you'll have better luck

There's a Facebook group where you'll get near instantaneous assistance from experienced users, highly recommend you join, once got me out of a tight spot:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MIXBUSPROUSERGROUP/
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited January 2019
    32C on windows 10 for a bit more than a year has been very stable for me across two different computers and two different interfaces. I'm not saying it's never crashed, but it's very rare - unlike Sonar X3, which I used previously, that would crash every few hours in use and had quite a few foibles re; 3rd party plugins. In contrast Mixbus has been happy with Waves, IK, Soundtoys, lots of others... no problem.

I really like 32c, it's fast and intuitive to use, and the EQ/ compression on every channel does lend itself to producing a certain kind of cohesion to the mix. I don't know what regular MIxbus's EQ is like but on 32C the curves, with proportional Q, are very useful for making broad-sweep changes. The low band in particular *feels* punchy.

And the tape emulation across the 12 busses & Master is... subtle, but quite effective at slightly softening transients.

Routing options and plugin management are fantastic, you can basically send anything anywhere though it tries to stop you creating feedback loops.

Only real downside AFAIC is lack of ARA. It doesn't do VST3 either, but I've not found that a problem (apart from as relates to lack of ARA anyway...) & because of the afformentioned flexibility of routing, you can't freeze tracks - so if you run out of processing power, your only option is to start manually bouncing tracks down in real time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom