School Me On Gibson Amps

What's Hot
GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
edited April 2014 in Amps

My curiosity was piqued by a comment in the Fender Amp thread. Gibson designed a hell a lot of amps over the years but you rarely here of them and they <ahem> have no mojo. ;-) Why? One on my local gumtree btw. - http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/gibson-lab-series-l5-2x12-100w-vintage-combo/1058143770 According to that ad, BB King likes them!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    wouldn't a gumtree seller claim that the Duchess of Cambridge likes something, in order to sell it?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

Everyone knows she's only interested in boaby!

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    fair enough, but if you're trying to sell something on gumtree you try to claim the patronage of somebody famous (bike once ridden by Barry Sheene, guitar once played by <insert name of famous guitarist>, same as used by <somebody else>)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Looks like the gumtree-er is right,  BB liked the sound so much he fell asleep!

Seems he used in to on stage too, though from the recent thread about his concerts, perhaps not a lot ....

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    edited April 2014
    BB King actually prefers solid state amps for the sharp attack and ultra clean...!

However, Gibson amps have a following and are OK if nothing remarkable. I think Fender were the professional's choice in that eras marketplace. Are plenty of YT clips - mostly from die hard collectors... The GA-5 is the most popular model. The original layout design (controls on back) harks back to when you would have played electric guitar in a BIG Band setup when the amp sat in front of you...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    90's Gibson amps were rebadged Trace amps I think. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    wouldn't a gumtree seller claim that the Duchess of Cambridge likes something, in order to sell it?
    BB King has used Lab Series amps for about forty years - most of his fantastic-sounding live tones were made using them.
    It's not just a sponsorship deal either, his loyalty to them has outlived their production span by decades.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I had an L5, it was awful! It fell to pieces.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    The old 50s and early 60s Gibson amps are *wonderful* - the solid state things are an acquired taste. 

This vid features a late 50s Gibson amp plus one or two effects - but you can hear the gorgeous warm inherent tone...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Doug and Pat did a couple of great vids on the early "Les Paul" amps.

http://thedougandpatshow.com/doug-and-pat-show-on-the-gibson-ga40-les-paul-amplifiers/

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    timmysoft said:
    I had an L5, it was awful! It fell to pieces.

:-O- that's supposed to be a suprised smiley. I know someone who has one and his L5 is built like a brick shithouse, been dropped down flights of stairs, covered in a layer of filth but still delivers big, loud clean tones  ( IIRC there is a built in compressor and overdrive, neither of which should ever be used!). Actually, he recently had a heart attack so his L5 might outlive him yet...
    :o3
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    not_the_dj;220518" said:
    Doug and Pat did a couple of great vids on the early "Les Paul" amps.

http://thedougandpatshow.com/doug-and-pat-show-on-the-gibson-ga40-les-paul-amplifiers/
    I really like their videos, just wish there was more of them. I'd love to have a blast on the les Pauls and 335s they tested.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Doug and Pat did a couple of great vids on the early "Les Paul" amps.

great vid that. cheers for sharing. now i wan't one.!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Was going to mention Doug and Pat as well. Lovely reviews of those amps. 

I have an instructional DVD on country playing, made by a Nashville-based englishman called Ray Flacke. He plays through a lab series too, and madd the point that to his ears it gives a properly balanced tone, i.e. notes sound as loud played up the top of the neck as those played down the nut end ( or words and a notion to that effect). 

What others think of that I don't know, and I've never thought of amps and guitars in those terms before, but FWIW his tone is beautiful.