Cleaning strat bridge saddles

What's Hot
The bridge saddles on my Strat attract o lot of dust and I find it difficult to get in amongst them to clean. I've never taken them all off and am reluctant to do so and have to mess around with the intonation. I suppose I could measure the position of each one before taking them off.

Do you ever take them off for a proper clean? Or is there a good way to clean and keep em on?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Compressed air will get the fluff out but not the grime. Dry scrubbing with a toothbrush will get more off but not every nook and cranny.

Yes, I do take my bridges apart occasionally and scrub every individual part, including the screws, in soapy water with a toothbrush. They will end up looking like new, but the downside is that you will need to do a setup afterwards, or at least check it’s still good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3018
    edited January 2019
    Thanks  @Maynehead ;  I’ll give it a go and take it apart. There’s almost 3 years of crud there so it needs doing. 
  • Thanks  @Maynehead ;  I’ll give it a go and take it apart. There’s almost 3 years of crud there so it needs doing. 
    Do some measurements - height of saddles, how far extended etc so it’s not such a pain setting it up again afterwards.

Personally i’d just take the strings off and just go in with a dry/damp toothbrush in situ. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14186
    tFB Trader
    Tooth brush is useful

If you dismantle and not sure what to do then yes one string at a time and then you can use the next saddle as the barometer to re-set

Not sure though why you need to take out intonation and height screws - It is a good idea from time to time to turn let/right or up/down a half turn and leave as is, just to stop them 'locking up' 
  • Thanks all. I dismantled it last night; it needed doing as there was a lot of dust underneath and grime inside the saddles. Washed with a toothbrush and warm soapy water, now looking like new. I took measurements and tonight I'll check the intonation.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    You’re cleaning all mojo out of it ;)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    Thanks  @Maynehead ;  I’ll give it a go and take it apart. There’s almost 3 years of crud there so it needs doing. 
    3  years?

Can you pop round and have a go at some of mine, bring a can of WD40 and a selection of toothbrushes.

I'm far too busy playing them to spend hours on OCD cleaning.

On the other hand (ahem) I cannot play guitar with dirty or greasy hands, after setting up and handling cables I have to wash my hands before playing. So I'm hardly in a position to speak as it were.
  • ESBlonde said:
    Thanks  @Maynehead ;;  I’ll give it a go and take it apart. There’s almost 3 years of crud there so it needs doing. 
    3  years?

Can you pop round and have a go at some of mine, bring a can of WD40 and a selection of toothbrushes.

I'm far too busy playing them to spend hours on OCD cleaning.

On the other hand (ahem) I cannot play guitar with dirty or greasy hands, after setting up and handling cables I have to wash my hands before playing. So I'm hardly in a position to speak as it were.

In my defence against accusations of OCD cleaning; I hadn't changed the strings for 8 months! . I’m getting the nut sauce out tonight tho, so maybe I do have a problem....
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

I think the secret is don't let it build up.

A regular dust off with a paintbrush is far easier than a full strip down.