Now that's what I call music.....2/Snowy White

What's Hot
StanleyAccringtonStanleyAccrington Frets: 264
edited January 2019 in Music
Winging my way through all the tele channels on Sunday morning and came across NTWICM 2.
Loads of pop songs of the day....then a bloke called Snowy White came on. Nice Goldtop guitar he was holding so thought I'd give him a listen. He played a rather nice bluesy solo in his Bird of Paradise song.

Who is this bloke, I was thinking so checked him out on Schmoogle and Yootoob.....what a player! I didn't even know that he was in Thin Lizzy for a few years yet alone guested for other bands too. I like his playing style....any Snowy fans on here?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Yep. I first saw him with Johnathon Kelly in ‘72. He’s provided 2nd guitar for a number of big name bands. I think Pink Floyd was one of them. He also leads his own band. Unfortunately he can’t sing.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    edited January 2019
    Played with Roger Waters for a while? 
    I think he sold that gold top a few years ago when it reached wall ornament only state of relic. 
    I also seem to remember that his time in Lizzy worked out badly - from his point of view didn't like the rock n roll lifestyle, from their's that he couldn't learn the back catalogue properly. 

Edit: yes, Bird is a bit of a classic. Pops up on many guitar/ rock compilations. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    I think he sold that gold top a few years ago when it reached wall ornament only state of relic. 
    I also seem to remember that his time in Lizzy worked out badly - from his point of view didn't like the rock n roll lifestyle, from their's that he couldn't learn the back catalogue properly. 

Edit: yes, Bird is a bit of a classic. Pops up on many guitar/ rock compilations. 
    It might have worked out “badly” but Chinatown was a fabulous album and Renegade is quietly appreciated by quite a few fans.  He’s a superb guitarist and although he wasn’t the consummate rocker, his playing really suited the Lizzy twin leads.  

Having said that, I saw him live at the Dominion in 85 on his own and fell asleep :( 

sev112 said:

It might have worked out “badly” but Chinatown was a fabulous album and Renegade is quietly appreciated by quite a few fans.  He’s a superb guitarist and although he wasn’t the consummate rocker, his playing really suited the Lizzy twin leads.  

Having said that, I saw him live at the Dominion in 85 on his own and fell asleep :( 

It's a bit of a distant memory; he was with them for quite a lot longer than I recalled looking at Wikipedia. I remembered his involvement in Renegade ( which is probably one of the lesser TL albums I guess) although had forgotten he was on Chinatown which is one of their great albums.
    Snowy was one of those people who seemed to be interviewed every 6 months in Guitarist ( probably every two years in reality) and given the choice I think he liked bluesier, more improvised music so Lizzy was restrictive for him. 
    New album and tour this year according to his website so he's still rocking on. Or not rocking as the case may be .   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    He's not someone who ever gets mentioned very much but he sticks in the memory due to his time in Lizzy (looking very uncomfortable in the Killer On The Loose video), Bird Of Paradise (which was good to see on TOTP although his voice is rather weedy)…. and that Goldtop.
    The 1957 goldtop sold for over $93k in 2015. Various mods and breaks, the replacement bridge apparently one given to him by Peter Green. Snowy had it since 1969. 

I haven't watched this yet but I think it's Snowy explaining the guitar prior to the auction

• relic245relic245 Frets: 944
    I saw him at a venue in Coventry probably about 1989

He had a les Paul with p90's straight into a twin which I think was dimed.

I always remember that gig as being the best guitar sound I have ever heard live. 

If you're into blues stuff then boy can he play. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    He lives in Petersfield just up the road from me, my old drummer went out with his daughter. 

I love Lizzy (was in a Lizzy tribute for 5 years) but Lizzy was a bunch of coke heads and smack addicts during Snowy Whites watch and he was amazed and appalled by their behaviour .... 

I saw him with Waters, amazing touch and tone and very capable of playing exactly like the record when asked to

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    sev112 said:

I saw him in the late 80s when his band where called the Snowy Whites Blues Agency. I think it was at The Cricketers in Kennington, I used to go there a fair bit. Don’t remember much about the gig, although I was apparently impressed enough to buy their cd after the gig. I think I’ve played it twice. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Snowy, Gold Top and Deluxe Reverb. Plus talent.

The end of this is just fabulous control. Bird of Paradise as you've not heard it.

I have actually held that GT and sort of strummed it.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    edited January 2019
    And, he toured on at least 3 Pink Floyd world tours- him and David doing the Dogs solo (song, no quips pls) is quite amazing.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• EmielEmiel Frets: 212
    I remember seeing Roger Waters and band in 2006 and being rather surprised that this man playing a Les Paul sounded and played nothing like David Gilmour! I actually really liked it. He is one of the reasons I stopped being a Gilmour-copycat and started playing Les Pauls. Still lusting after a Goldtop though! 

Snowy hasn't been on a stage for a while, hope he will soon get back on it!
    Emiel said:
    I remember seeing Roger Waters and band in 2006 and being rather surprised that this man playing a Les Paul sounded and played nothing like David Gilmour! I actually really liked it. He is one of the reasons I stopped being a Gilmour-copycat and started playing Les Pauls. Still lusting after a Goldtop though! 

Snowy hasn't been on a stage for a while, hope he will soon get back on it!
    His arthritis has larhell stopped him, presunpres he can still record because he can do that in short bursts. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    The tone he gets on Bird of Paradise is one of my favourite LP tones ever - he nails it
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1391
    I believe he played lead on Peter Greens In the Skies album as well, due to PG not being completely comfortable on his comeback after his “problems”.
    He was good friends with PG prior to Fleetwood Mac days.

Snowy on lead here I think:

• EmielEmiel Frets: 212
    Yes, that's definitely Snowy on lead guitar.

This is from the same era, a Rick Wright (Pink Floyd keyboardist) solo song with Snowy playing a fine solo...

A few years later, Snowy was playing with Thin Lizzy. Here's a rare rendition of the slow version of 'Don't Believe A Word' with Snowy fiercely soloing on it. Sounds like he's using some Marshalls.

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    My mate Gary played Harmonica for his Snowy White's Barrelhouse Brothers band - said he was a nice bloke and quality player, too. 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Apologies - it was Eric Bell, not Snowy White.  I'm sure Snowy is just as nice as Eric, though.