Peavey classic 20 mini head any good?

looking at a few amp options for a mate and this seems to tick most boxes but seem to remember that some previous classics were a bit unreliable and a git to work on. Any thoughts folks?
cheers!
The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Those were my memories too. 
  • The old 30s are awesome but allegedly difficult to work on as it's simply a combo chassis stuck in a head box(although my old one-eyed local amp tech had no problems changing a transformer and switch for me). I have no idea about the 20, but it does appear to be more modernised.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    The construction won’t be the same as the Classic 30 - you can see from pics of the back that there isn’t room in the chassis for it.

The C30 is Peavey’s least well-made amp - actually, changing the power transformer is one of the easy jobs! - which is lucky as it’s also one of the more common... likewise the switch. Fixing anything that involves removing the 3-sided folded PCB is a right pain.

The 20W head won’t be as bad, although things like onboard USB don’t fill me with great enthusiasm...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    I've had a Peavey Classic MH 20 for nearly 2 years with no problems. I use it at home mainly on the 1w setting. I think it sounds better than my Victory V40. It's a keeper.
  • Thanks for the input chaps!
    The Swamp City Shakers