Help required with headstock repair

What's Hot
My drummer has acquired an Ibanez in need of some repair and has asked me to help him out.

Is this a case of carefully prising open the break, adding glue and clamping it up?

The refinishing I don't have an issue with, it's just the break itself.

Any help much appreciated, and what glue is best to use?

See imgur link 

https://imgur.com/a/AkKsAsR
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Titebond Original.

Open up the crack as far as you dare without snapping it completely - I do it by supporting the guitar in a way which lets me open the crack by using a G-clamp to pull it down towards the bench - and work the glue in as far as you can, a piece of paper can help. Then clamp it as tight as possible with some padding on both sides so you don’t indent the wood.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Titebond Original.

Open up the crack as far as you dare without snapping it completely - I do it by supporting the guitar in a way which lets me open the crack by using a G-clamp to pull it down towards the bench - and work the glue in as far as you can, a piece of paper can help. Then clamp it as tight as possible with some padding on both sides so you don’t indent the wood.
    What he said :)

Open it up a little then wick as much Titebond Original in as you can, it’s the consistency of single cream and should have enough open time to run nicely into the crack then clamp it like it’s going out of fashion.

Leave it for 24 hours then emerge to a hero’s welcome! ;)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Awesome, thanks gents! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    Take it to a good luthier. You’ll have piece of mind, they’ll do the job properly, and use the correct glues....and give it back to you in re-saleable condition. 

I highly recommend Andy Viccars in Milton Keynes. Stunning repair quality and attention to detail, at a very affordable price.  

http://www.andyviccarscustom.co.uk/

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader
    Simon if you feel like a trip to the Histon metropolis I've got TB, clamps, suction cups & syringes etc, yer welcome to use them.
  • Thanks @Corvus, if I get stuck etc I'll give you a shout, much appreciated 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    if I get stuck
    I see what you did there. :)
    Be seeing you.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498

I'm not an expert but if I was trying it I'd spray a little water (a fine mist from a cleaned-out bottle of something or other) into the crack before the glue. I think I read in one of Dan Erlewine's books that wetting the wood helps in drawing the glue in.

Feel free to tell me I'm talking rubbish.

• I heard that via TPS episode yesterday re gluing in frets. Many thanks all!

@Funkfingers I didn't even notice it ha! 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader
    Or dilute it, helps it move inwards. You can force it in with suction cap heads, I've also blown it inwards with a little bit of compressed air - careful with the pressure or be wearing the TB!
    But if the crack's all the way to the rod probs don't want to do that in case of glueing the rod..
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Corvus said:

But if the crack's all the way to the rod probs don't want to do that in case of glueing the rod..
    You won't do that with Titebond, it doesn't stick to metal.

But that's a good reason be be very careful of using glues that do, like epoxy... I've used heated high-strength epoxy very successfully in the past for some difficult breaks, but you need to protect the rod with something like a piece of heatshrink sleeving.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Picking it up from him at band practice on Friday so will give it a good look over before doing anything else. I'll try and get some pics of inside the break too
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2533
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/39788/repairing-ibanez-rg470-neck-pictures#latest

I did this neck repair to my Ibanez RG470 in 2015. It's still holding strong, in fact I played it yesterday. I'd use Titebond now but the wood glue I used at the time is still doing the job nearly 4 years later. 
  • simonbeckwithsimonbeckwith Frets: 215
    edited January 2019
    Cracking job that....!

in all seriousness though, that's a great job, can barely see it!
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2533
    Cracking job that....!

in all seriousness though, that's a great job, can barely see it!
    Thanks man, surprised myself how well it turned out if I'm being honest!