Left handed pickups

What's Hot
Pickup experts, please help .
Having a discussion at work, mate looking into getting a set of pickups for his left-hand Squier 52 Classic Vibe Tele. 
Are pickups handed or can they just be flipped, as long as the wiring reaches and the cavities allow? I've heard talk that winding direction may make a difference  or that pickups aren't symmetrical so they won't fit, etc.
Any views or experience? 

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    The only time it matters is if there are staggered polepieces with an uneven stagger - typically the original 50s and 60s Fender Strat ones where the G pole is the tallest and the B the lowest. Thankfully these are less common now - they were only ever appropriate for a wound G string really, and the stagger is excessive even then.

There is no other difference, not unless someone is 'winding' ;) you up...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Some pickups have different magnets at each end but this is rare, and usually a custom job. The wires should be alright as on a Tele pickup they come out in the middle.

I'd be thoroughly surprised if the pickups in any lefty squier were not exactly the same as its right-handed counterpart.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Eh? 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers for the replies. I suspected there would be little difference  if any. I think he's going to go ahead and buy a set, so we'll see if they fit. If not I'll update, in case anyone else is wondering.