SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Now bought a bass guitar.... I'll have a P (Bob!)

What's Hot
JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
edited February 2019 in Basses £
Still looking and before I take the plunge on a Sire V3...anyone tempt me with a bass they are selling.
Top price I can afford is £250 which prob rules out MIM Fenders but you never know...
Thanks Jon 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    The nearest that I have to the £250 mark is a barely used Squier VM with the Duncan Designed JB101 pickups in it.

Anderton's January Sale price for the mk1 Sire V3 makes it a no brainer. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    edited January 2019
    Are you just looking online at the V3 or have you played one? A 5.8kg bass (or guitar, for that matter) is not for the weak (eg. me: my Fender Jazz bass weighs 4.1kg and that feels comfortable).
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    Thanks Whistler...never played a v3 as in the North of England. Hadn't noticed the weight but mahogany...aaarggh should have considered.
    Too heavy...jon
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    edited January 2019
    New Squier Jaguar Bass.  All you need and a little more just in case.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    I've got a Squier Standard Jazz Bass in sunburst finish, very good condition, that I'm not needing, as I now have a USA Precision.  But I don't think I could ship it, as I don't have a suitable case of box.  I'm in Oxford though, if you are ever down that way?
  • Still looking...the Sire v3 s basses are great spec'd but poss. heavy.
    Yamaha basses to try at local shop this week £250-450 prices so enough to pay for me.
    Ta for advice here.
    Any cheaper basses foe sale?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Those new Ibanez medium scales at £249 look like a proper bargain - I’ve had a few Ibanez basses and every one I have played has been top notch for the money. They really do know how to make good basses for pennies.

Squier VMs also punch well above their weight and it’s arguable that there’s no point in going up to MiM either...

Yamaha do some excellent stuff too, and well worth a look. 

I have tried a few Sires and though a good sound they didn’t feel particularly special to me - a bit meh in fact. I’d actually have a MM Sub rather than one of those if I’m honest. Different sound all together, but it depends if a Jazz really is what you are after..
  • Thanks Bridgehouse...
    Playing a P and a J bass on Monday has made we change to the P variant!
    MiM P bass was great...heading for one, but a cheap £199 Sub4 at Coda is also speaking to me...but blue?!
    Resolution of the bass kind is coming soon..
    JonHosker said:
    a cheap £199 Sub4 at Coda
    The SUB guitars and basses are a curious mixture of nice neck profiles and tacky electronics and hardware. (I have owned one and worked on several.) This was forgivable when they retailed for about £240. Not so much at £325.

JonHosker said:
    ...but blue?
    The transparent finishes provide an excellent view of the grain of the Agathis body wood. If you are lucky, you get one that resembles Alder minus the flecks. If you are unlucky, the body is very knotty. (Like the factory rejects sold on eBay by BooBoo Guitars.) 

If you are concerned about ease of resale, choose an opaque colour. 
    JonHosker said:
    a cheap £199 Sub4 at Coda
    The SUB guitars and basses are a curious mixture of nice neck profiles and tacky electronics and hardware. (I have owned one and worked on several.) This was forgivable when they retailed for about £240. Not so much at £325.

JonHosker said:
    ...but blue?
    The transparent finishes provide an excellent view of the grain of the Agathis body wood. If you are lucky, you get one that resembles Alder minus the flecks. If you are unlucky, the body is very knotty. (Like the factory rejects sold on eBay by BooBoo Guitars.) 

If you are concerned about ease of resale, choose an opaque colour. 
    Knotty Ash? Maybe he needs a short scale for the diddy men :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A Randall Flagg signature model, perhaps? ;)
    A Randall Flagg signature model, perhaps? ;)
    That’s an idea....!
  • I just walked into the Bass Gallery in Camden with a similar brief - something for a guitarist to have a go on that’s not a toy.

Was as expecting to buy a Squier or similar, tried a few and walked out with the Ibanez GSR180. Light, really easy to play and sounded great. £120 secondhand and, I think, the cheapest in the shop!

Worth a try. And while I’m here, hats off to Bass Gallery who were charm personified despite my low-end choices.
  • Ta "blowin" .... will check the Ibanez
    Jon
  • Bought a PJ...Ibanez Mezzo 32" scsle.
      Thanks all...Jon
    JonHosker said:
    Bought a PJ...Ibanez Mezzo 32" scsle.
      Thanks all...Jon
    Yep - good choice and will do you very nicely
  • Sent the Ibanez Mezzo back.
    Didn't bond with the neck.
    Bought a MIM Fender P bass. 
    Very very very happy....jon
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    When you get an opportunity, raise the pickguard to inspect the jack, pots and pickup. Hopefully, the first two will be Switchcraft and CTS, respectively.

The pickup could be the type with steel stud polepieces and underslung ceramic bar magnets. Once the warranty has expired, it might be worth replacing with something a bit posher.