Weezer release a new covers album

What's Hot
FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
edited January 2019 in Music
https://open.spotify.com/album/65sHj9PvsbyD0uugGHjueN?nd=1

01. Africa (Toto)
02. Everybody Wants to Rule the World (Tears for Fears)
03. Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) (The Eurythmics)
04. Take On Me (a-ha)
05. Happy Together (The Turtles)
06. Paranoid (Black Sabbath)
07. Mr. Blue Sky (Electric Light Orchestra)
08. No Scrubs (TLC)
09. Billie Jean (Michael Jackson)
10. Stand By Me (Ben E. King)
If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I saw this on iTunes Store this morning. It could either be the greatest covers album ever or the biggest disaster that drags down Weezer's career. 

The latter seems unlikely and I couldn't think of a third option so YAY WEEZER... [even though your last album sucked hard booooo - except the song about Mexican Fenders!] :P 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    That sucks ... they have basically tried to copy the original recordings rather than putting their own spin on each song.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22691
    I'm disappointed they haven't done Rock You Like A Hurricane. 

I remember an interview where Rivers said he basically copied the solo on one of the early tracks (probably not exactly true).

I will listen, I want to hear Mr Blue Sky if nothing else.
  • I really enjoyed it - they're classic tracks performed well. I'm glad they didn't butcher them!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I like covers, but I also like them to sound different to the original otherwise what's the point.

I have zero interest in Weezer as a band though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • doogz84doogz84 Frets: 206
    Fretwired said:
    That sucks ... they have basically tried to copy the original recordings rather than putting their own spin on each song.
    Kinda my thoughts too.

They've copied, not just covered. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062

Not a Weezer fan by any means but thought I'd give it a listen as I know the band has a sense of humour, and that might have led on to some really good re-workings of classic songs.

How wrong I was.  It's very, very dull.

Someone needs to tell them that the mark of a good cover is to be completely different, yet instantly recognisable.

• Pile of poop
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22691
    It's strange.  I didn't hate it, because I like most of the songs... I suppose there's a skill in trying to recreate all those different sounds and I found myself listening out for (a) how close they got and (b) the bits they did differently.  It certainly would be more interesting if they'd done the songs in their own style.

Should it have been released as an album, though?  Maybe a bonus disc with a deluxe edition of an album of original material.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5140
    doogz84 said:
    Fretwired said:
    Kinda my thoughts too.

They've copied, not just covered. 
    Yep, my thoughts exactly  :s
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26880
    I just clicked on Billie Jean on youtube. It just sounds quantised and autotuned - there's no groove. Fall Out Boy's version of Beat It was much better.

I'm wondering why a fairly mediocre band is getting so much attention for mediocre covers. I still don't understand why any version of "Africa" has made such a comeback into the public consciousness...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    it's ok and fun enough. 

A band I really like right now are Puppy - they are like Weezer, but heavier and with more prominent guitars.
  • it's ok and fun enough. 

A band I really like right now are Puppy - they are like Weezer, but heavier and with more prominent guitars.
    Woah what how does Puppy sound anything like Weezer? Are we even listening to the same band? :/ 
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    it's ok and fun enough. 

Woah what how does Puppy sound anything like Weezer? Are we even listening to the same band? :/ 
    I thought they did, and I assume we're listening to the same band unless there's another band called Puppy I don't know about. Fuzzy guitars, some tight vocal harmonies etc. I was thinking more of Weezer's first album in particular. Puppy are riffier and heavier in my opinion. I've just googled it and the Metal Hammer review drew a comparison as well, so it's not just me  =)
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5401
    edited January 2019
    I like this covers album a lot, and because I never loved Weezer previously, the fact that I like it a lot probably aggravates die-hard Weezer fans more than is healthy.

• Blimey Mr Blue Sky sounds exactly like Mr Blue Sky