Buzzing after installing new pre-wired pickups

What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3389
edited January 2019 in Making & Modding
A friend of mine bought one of these...
https://www.siglermusiconline.com/products/seymour-duncan-p-rails-hsh-loaded-pickguard-for-musicman-silhouette

He has installed it but it buzzes and I'm not sure it's earthed properly.

The buzz goes away if you touch the jack socket, selector switch or (metal) pots, but not when you touch the bridge or strings.

He did connect a wire from the bridge to an earthing point, but i'm not sure that point is actually earthed itself.

Is it just a simple case of needing to connect that to an earth?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    Yes, there’s a break in the ground connection to the bridge somewhere. If that’s connected to the body shielding then the shielding is no longer grounded either, which will make it even noisier.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3389
    Thanks for your help @ICBM ; :-)

Will let you know the outcome.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Don't forget that some of the P-Rails pickup modes are single coil and, hence, not hum-cancelling.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited January 2019
    Quick update from my friend....

So when I took it apart it was clear the volume pot was being used as the main earthing point. Everything was earthing correctly except for the bridge so I put a wire in from the volume pot to the main guitar earthing point and tested.

You can see in the pic where I did it. I also twisted the earths round the Jack lead coming in. So much better now! A bit of a buzz still on single coil but no more that I would expect. Still got some shielding to do because it buzzes if my hands aren't on the strings but I can live with that for the mo.

http://imgur.com/gallery/TvT7kXN
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    *Some* buzz when you're not touching the strings is inevitable with any passive electric guitar, even with thorough shielding. But without that wire from the volume pot to the cavity ground then there would have been no connection to either the cavity shielding or the bridge.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yep, looks like the problem is fixed.

Thank you once again @ICBM :-)