MXR Green Day Dookie Pedal

What's Hot

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    Not really relevant to the pedal but I've just realised:
    How the fuck is Dookie 25 years old?
    Like, the Green Day songs still seem like the "new" ones in our set list...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Grunfeld said:
    Not really relevant to the pedal but I've just realised:
    How the fuck is Dookie 25 years old?
    Like, the Green Day songs still seem like the "new" ones in our set list...

It's a great album, one of the classics of the 90s.

I still remember  how I got my copy - a guy in my school had an older brother who owned a record shop and he sold me my copy.  I saw the video for Basket Case on MTV and that's what got me into them. 

The tight punchy guitars on Dookie sound great, I had no idea about the gear or how the amps used a different EQ until I read about this pedal. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I find MXR pedals to be very mediocre nowadays. They used to be great sounding and reliable pedals, now, not so much.Some of them are actually awful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    My oldest son got seriously into Green Day. I reckon that was about 8 or 9 years ago so I'm amazed Dookie is 25 years old. 
    Lot of money for a MIAB but maybe it's the best one ever and it does look cool. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    This is overpriced by a good £70. I'll get one when they inevitably end up as a Black Friday deal.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited January 2019
    This video has a really good demo from 3:10 onwards. They’re saying it’s limited run too, but not how many it’s limited to...

https://youtu.be/m4TkfKnkYuM

Genuine question... If you pre-order one online, when it comes in stock and they send it out are you still covered by the 14 day return policy for online sales from the date it’s received rather than ordered? I would really want to try it out with my guitars and amp for this money. I’d know pretty quickly, but I’d hate to pay all that money then not like it. I assume you can cancel anytime before then and get the deposit back? Is that right?

I’m going to start setting aside cash for one now anyway.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    That's a nice sounding unit, just too expensive for me.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    edited January 2019
    I know... I’m in a real dilemma about this. Normally I’d just say it’s too dear and I can’t justify it. But for some reason that’s not working this time.

The fact they’ve now said it’s limited has put me back to wanting one badly. My (lack of) logic being that I might not be able to get one later.
    edited January 2019
    Ok, for what it's worth I asked GG online what the deal is.

You can pre-order today for £50 deposit, they'll notify you when it comes in, you pay the balance and they ship it out to you and you still have the 14 day returns policy as with any online order. This isn't the case with a special order, but is for the likes of this where it's not in stock yet but they are already on order by the shop.m Deposit is refundable if you cancel before it arrives.
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    andyp said:
    The fact they’ve now said it’s limited has put me back to wanting one badly. My (lack of) logic being that I might not be able to get one later.
    Yeah, same (annoyingly). Struggling to find any information on how limited it actually is though! If I do end up pulling the full price trigger, I'll get it on finance and pretend it's not really that expensive.
  • I wasn't interested but now i'm following this thread I'm starting to change my tune, not helped by the fact i've just bought a Vintage LPJ with a P90 off @DrCornelius !

They'd be so good together!! :)
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    £220 for a limited edition pedal 3000 units?  They won't fly off the shelves. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    I thought 3000 sounded like not very many. But I don’t know what I’m basing that on. Haha.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    I'd imagine 3000 units isn't a lot when the main market is USA and a "classic album" tie - in.

Dave Friedman made a reference in some YT vid (Captain Meets maybe?) to selling some ridiculous number of BE distortion pedals, like 20,000 or something, can't remember exactly.  And they weren't cheap either.
  • Crazy price. Totally not punk rock  I like a few green day songs but nah

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

Mrs P’s advice was to buy it as it’s my money.

So... I guess I better get on with it then, eh?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    I’ve only watched one demo, and it was a bit bees in a jar to me... I know Dookie was a pretty scooped kinda sound....... mmm, maybe more demos required before I make my mind up  :s
  • I wouldn't pay £220 for the pedal.. Most of it will be for the name as others have stated I'd imagine
    I have a BOSS DS2 that I can get a really good dookie sound through my Peavey bandit and BOSS katana
    Also go into a store and try a metal zone.. They get a bad name for not great leads and whatever but they are made for fast palm muted chords.
    If neither of those work, try a graphic eq into the overdrives you have.
    Hope you can get a decent sound :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019
    It was the versatility they seemed to be showing that really appealed... as I think this would cover so many bases for me, on top of being a fan of the album and looking for something a bit like this already anyway. Then they say it's limited and suddenly I have to have it. I've completely bought the marketing it seems. I don't normally do this, but somehow this pedal is really grabbing me. I went to pre-order it last night, but I just can't bring myself to shell out that much money for it so bailed out. If it was £150-180 I'd have ordered one already, and that would still be a chunk more than I've ever paid for a pedal.

The fact I'm a relative Novice player is always on my mind too, it seems too much money for someone at my skill level to justify, but it's a toy at the end of the day. I might still pre-order one anyway, then I've got until May to change my mind... and if it does turn up and I don't like it or it doesn't seem worth the money, then I can return it. I'll mull it over.