Zilla cabs construction

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    clarkefan said:
    Call Paul, that’s weird.
    It’s arrived now but it’s been a wait more than anticipated. I’ll post a thread on it soon but it looks a nice job. Just marred by the wait. Maybe it was a one off 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    hywelg said:
    And here's the dovetail variant

I bought one of these a few years ago when they were only £40

It was always advised not to use dovetails with ply wood due to delamination.

Having said that it's possible that modern play wood is less susceptible to this.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    jpfamps said:
    hywelg said:
    And here's the dovetail variant

I bought one of these a few years ago when they were only £40

It was always advised not to use dovetails with ply wood due to delamination.

Having said that it's possible that modern play wood is less susceptible to this.
    Birch ply is very good indeed. I've got offcuts been sat in my cold damp workshop for 10 years or more, no sign of it delaminating. Ordinary ply however is a different matter. 
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Got my first gig with the Zilla cab tonight. Looking forward to hearing it at volume!

i also now want a 2x12!
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3150
    tFB Trader
    clarkefan said:
    Call Paul, that’s weird.
    It’s arrived now but it’s been a wait more than anticipated. I’ll post a thread on it soon but it looks a nice job. Just marred by the wait. Maybe it was a one off 
    You do realize that he wouldn't have started the build the second he took your order? It would have gone to the back of the queue and only started when he'd completed all the others in front, which judging by his popularity would be quite a lot.

For reference, my two cabinet builders are currently delivering in 6-8 weeks but have been as long as 12, so 2 months from Zilla is bang on what I'd expect and not at all unreasonable for a UK handmade cabinet.

There's a fun little rule for custom-made stuff, you can only pick two...

- Cheap
    - Quick
    - High Quality

:)
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    hywelg said:

Birch ply is very good indeed. I've got offcuts been sat in my cold damp workshop for 10 years or more, no sign of it delaminating. Ordinary ply however is a different matter. 
    That will probably be because it’s marine ply not birch. (Although it can be both.) It’s the glue that breaks down with moisture in ordinary ply, not the wood.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RiftAmps said:
    clarkefan said:
    Call Paul, that’s weird.
    You do realize that he wouldn't have started the build the second he took your order? It would have gone to the back of the queue and only started when he'd completed all the others in front, which judging by his popularity would be quite a lot.

For reference, my two cabinet builders are currently delivering in 6-8 weeks but have been as long as 12, so 2 months from Zilla is bang on what I'd expect and not at all unreasonable for a UK handmade cabinet.

- Cheap
    - Quick
    - High Quality

I do yes chris. I don’t rush builds and let the builder.... well build but I was told 3 weeks 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    RiftAmps said:
    clarkefan said:
    Call Paul, that’s weird.

- Cheap
    - Quick
    - High Quality

I’ll have cheap and high quality then I guess. :)
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader

I’ll have cheap and high quality then I guess. :)
    Lets hope the arthritis hasn't set in by the time you get it then

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited February 2019
    Hopefully this isn't derailing this thread too much. As I'm ordering a Zilla vertical cab soon I just thought I'd ask what are your preferences i.e. Horizontal or Vertical? Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of either orientation?

My initial thoughts are floor real estate as I do play is some cramped areas sometimes but also I've always preferred to have my amp combos off the floor a bit so a vertical would help me achieve better directional sound etc. Head and cab is a first for me really
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1328
    Horizontal is good if you've got a wide head. Vertical is getting popular as it takes up less floor space and has better horizontal dispersion. I use a vertical live if not mic'd up as it fills the pub a bit better.

You can always use a horizontal vertically and vice versa, just stick on another set of feet. The only other difference is the location of the handles.
  • davros said:
    Horizontal is good if you've got a wide head. Vertical is getting popular as it takes up less floor space and has better horizontal dispersion. I use a vertical live if not mic'd up as it fills the pub a bit better.

You can always use a horizontal vertically and vice versa, just stick on another set of feet. The only other difference is the location of the handles.
    I've got large recessed handles being fitted on my vertical cab. More often than not I don't have a lot of space to play with at gigs so vertical is best for that agreed
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Vertical, you can hear it better.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    davros said:

I've got large recessed handles being fitted on my vertical cab. More often than not I don't have a lot of space to play with at gigs so vertical is best for that agreed
    Why not best of both worlds with vertical recessed handles and a horizontal handle? I’m using my horizontal 2x12 vertically. At some point I will add some feet on the vertical underside. In any case, a beer case underway will help raise the direction to the player’s ears so it isn’t only the audience who can hear all those nasty treble shrills. 
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    edited February 2019
    Zilla made me a custom sized 2x12.

It’s like a baby 4x12 so the speakers are fitted diagonally.

https://imgur.com/a/XpKWYYb
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    lukedlb said:
    davros said:

Why not best of both worlds with vertical recessed handles and a horizontal handle? I’m using my horizontal 2x12 vertically. At some point I will add some feet on the vertical underside. In any case, a beer case underway will help raise the direction to the player’s ears so it isn’t only the audience who can hear all those nasty treble shrills. 
    Gear confusion: sorry, mine is a fat boy 1x12, longer than your standard box 1x12 and sounds like a 2x12.