Eastman Acoustics - A quick try out

What's Hot

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    And they have electronics! 

I have to say the mahogany on the E10ss is quite stunning, I'm not so keen on the look of sapele but it's a lot extra to pay. I also really wanted the nitro sunburst finish, not mad keen on their rubbed finish. 

I'm tempted to pick up a ltd edition as well though. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Eastman guitars are fantastic. I just wish more stores stocked them so I could try out their whole line. I think i'll pick up an E20OM when I have the cash to spare.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    I fancy buying an E6 Om just not sure where in scotland they stock em
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    Public information announcement for Eastman-curious readers in the northeast: a bloke in Whitley Bay is selling an E20SS (the rosewood slope dread model) on Gumtree. If I didn't live at the other end of the country I'd be taking a look at it myself.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/eastman-e20ss-acoustic-guitar/1333182894
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Blimey that’s the cheapest I’ve see second hand. Not that I’ve seen loads. Bet that rosewood model is sweet
    Forsyths have an E10ss at a grand. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2019
    Andy79 said:
    Blimey that’s the cheapest I’ve see second hand. Not that I’ve seen loads. Bet that rosewood model is sweet
    Forsyths have an E10ss at a grand. 
    Nice. I paid £1100 for mine which I don't want back!

£800 for a used E20ss is an awful lot of guitar.
    Another Eastman up north on Gumtree, also looks a bargain.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/eastman-e10-00ss-acoustic-guitar/1333291229
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Went back in to Guitar Village today, cash in pocket fully intending to buy another Eastman to replace my Ovation which I just sold. I need an electro for Water Rats!

Tried all the new Eastman guitars they had in around the £500 - £600 mark, nice enough but nothing was screaming "buy me". 

Tried a couple of Faith and Guild's which were so-so. The Guild OM-140ce was lovely, but I didn't like the colour of the fingerboard - too light and mottled - and I'm now in the £800+ range so what else can I find?

Never tried a Faith guitar that I really liked, so before setting off out of the sub £1k section I grabbed the worst looking one I hadn't so far tried just to confirm my bias and.... oh! This sounds good!! Unfortunately it looked disgusting (a Naked Neptune Cognac Mahogany apparently) and the other two finishes in the range looked like it's ugly sisters, so off up to the upper floor. 

More Eastman, Taylor, Martin... Hmmm, what's this dark beauty? A 00L-17 Black Smoke, almost the exact opposite of my remit (electronics / GA shape + Cutaway / £500 - £900) so why not try it? 

Oh shit. It's alive! Sweet popping singe notes, smooth easy dreamy chords, light as a feather. £1150.

Took some serious self GAS negotiation not to buy it there and then!
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 710
    Haha. Some great deals on those at the moment! Look smart too. Love the black with white scratch plate ones. Not tried one as didn’t fit the bill of what i was looking for, but I assume they still sound like Martins? They look like martin doing a Gibson look alike like the CEO-7 (had one and was lovely), so just not picked one up. 
    brucegill said:
    Haha. Some great deals on those at the moment! Look smart too. Love the black with white scratch plate ones. Not tried one as didn’t fit the bill of what i was looking for, but I assume they still sound like Martins? They look like martin doing a Gibson look alike like the CEO-7 (had one and was lovely), so just not picked one up. 
    They looked very Martin to me, probably something in the shape? I've never really tried an excellent Martin,maybe I'm expecting too much. I'd say this was exactly what a Martin should sound like though. Very, very nice and a good alternative to my J45. 

Id just need to install a pickup in one of them! 
    Well I wish you luck. They look great. Must try one. Super price at the moment too. 
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Did you manage to compare the Martin to the Eastman 00 ? 
    The neck sounds interesting in those. 1 3/4 but not to thick at the 12th
    Andy79 said:
    Did you manage to compare the Martin to the Eastman 00 ? 
    I tried the Eastman E10 00v last time I was in there, really nice, lovely sweet middy tone with lively top. Quite a distinct small body sound in a nice way.

The Martin I would never have guessed blind was a small-ish body. The bass side was rich and the treble beautifully rounded. Responded to finger style incredibly well. 

I preferred the Martin but both are excellent. 
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    Just picked up a new Eastman E6 OM. Bought it to replace my ibanez mahogany top. It came set up superbly. Action nice and low and well cut nut. No high frets. Well levelled. Its got a chunkier fuller neck than the soft v on my ibanez. It does not play as easy as my ibanez but im going to try new 11 gague on the Eastman as it came with 12s. The ibanez AVC9 truly sounds cracking for the money. Its very close in volume. Think I will keep em both. Cant hurt to have 2 OM guitars. One in mahogany and one in spruce.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Have you managed to play the mexican Martin dreadnought jr yet?  Would fit the bill of smaller, with pickup, £700 bracket?
    munckee said:
    Have you managed to play the mexican Martin dreadnought jr yet?  Would fit the bill of smaller, with pickup, £700 bracket?
    Not yet, where did you try it? 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Anderton's, worth a try before you shell out double, not sure if PMT have them?
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    @Fuengi Have you tried any of the Sire models? I'm intrigued by those,  but have trust issues given that there's only one source for them,  and that's where the reviews come from too. 
    edited March 2019
    Back to Guitar Village today with Jr. Remit was to try everything we fancied in the £400 - £800 range, short list a few each and then compare. 

Ended up with a few Faith's, a couple of Guild and a PRS. I tried the PRS first and was really surprised how lovely it was as I'm really not a fan of the bird inlays or the headstock.

However, after the 2nd run through of the shortlist and direct comparison the PRS was the clear winner. It was £300 more than the Faith, but the same price as the Gulid. 

More details in the tone, super comfortable and a decent electronic system won the day.

Edit with correct link!

http://imgur.com/gallery/G2wOnRQ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom