Low - Alan's pedals

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Saw them in Ireland a few months ago. Love how he used one guitar for the entire gig and had small amps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewal said:
    I went to see  Low this evening in Glasgow. It was magic. Here's a pic of Alan Sparhawk's pedals. I've worked them all out except the turquoise one beside the Avalanche Run. Put me out my misery - what is it?

https://i.imgur.com/mzX097x.jpg
    You’d think he’d get himself a nice board for that lot!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5400
    Last night Alan did have a backup guitar - looked to be a Les Paul with a Bigsby. Could just see it in the wings from where I was sitting. But he never touched it - the Danelectro saw him through the entire set. But he was tuning it an awful lot!
  • ewalewal Frets: 2580
    Whitecat said:
    F*** me that was a great show. 

Very few “hits” - mostly new stuff and/or deep cuts. Awesome. 
    My daughter works at the Barbican and was slightly annoyed to be missing out. However her boss let her sneak in and she got to see most of the show! Jealous that you guys got When I Go Deaf and Murderer!
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    @ewal thanks for starting this thread, somehow I was completely unaware of Low despite them being well within my preferred musical types. 

I’ve been working through their back catalogue for the last couple of days and thoroughly enjoying. 

Cheers buddy
    Your welcome! They passed me by until the mid 2000s. Been one of my favourites ever since! I'm at that lost count how many times I've seen them stage.
  • @ewal jealous of your daughter, I love the barbican and would have loved to see low there.

P.S. have you managed to get into the conservatory in the barbican yet? It's always got events on when I go.
    edited February 2019
    ewal said:
    Whitecat said:
    F*** me that was a great show. 

Very few “hits” - mostly new stuff and/or deep cuts. Awesome. 
    My daughter works at the Barbican and was slightly annoyed to be missing out. However her boss let her sneak in and she got to see most of the show! Jealous that you guys got When I Go Deaf and Murderer!
    Awesome!! Yeah, the encore was awesome. Wanted more, obviously, but two of their top tunes IMO. I’m pretty agnostic about what they play nowadays as I’ve seen them so many times, but I will never get sick of ‘Murderer’ ever.
    edited February 2019
    @ewal jealous of your daughter, I love the barbican and would have loved to see low there.

P.S. have you managed to get into the conservatory in the barbican yet? It's always got events on when I go.
    Ive never been to The Barbican. There's the slight issue of about 500 miles ;)

My daughter enjoys working there though
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    edited February 2019
    Whitecat said:
    Last night Alan did have a backup guitar - looked to be a Les Paul with a Bigsby. Could just see it in the wings from where I was sitting. But he never touched it - the Danelectro saw him through the entire set. But he was tuning it an awful lot!
    Same when I saw them in Dublin a few months back. His pedals and Dano seem to be contributing a lot to their new sound, especially that Red Panda Particle. I saw them about 6 or 7 years ago, maybe more, and sonically it was a very different show. More "straight ahead", and from what I recall he used his Les Paul and a baritone Epi LP for the entire gig.
    I really like how they delivered the new songs live recently. And for anyone who want some more live stuff from the recent tour, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I45V99gx25Y
    edited February 2019
    Whitecat said:
    Same when I saw them in Dublin a few months back. His pedals and Dano seem to be contributing a lot to their new sound, especially that Red Panda Particle. I saw them about 6 or 7 years ago, maybe more, and sonically it was a very different show. More "straight ahead", and from what I recall he used his Les Paul and a baritone Epi LP for the entire gig.
    I really like how they delivered the new songs live recently. And for anyone who want some more live stuff from the recent tour, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I45V99gx25Y
    Yeah, the live arrangements of the songs from Double Negative completely work, despite being very different. Would love to see them release a live album from this tour, even if it were just Double Negative performed in its entirety... 

The thing that gets me most about his Danelectro is that it’s a hard tail - I’m so used to seeing him play with a Bigsby it’s hard to get my head around. But, he completely nails it of course. Still sounds like Alan, despite as you say sounding different from the Alans of the past. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep, I like his style. He's well able to play, but holds back. I picked up one of those Danos recently but it's in a wardrobe abroad, so won't get a chance to tear into it for a while.
    edited February 2019
    FYI gents the Count To Five is currently in-stock with Montreal Assembly, probably won't last long...

http://mtlasm.tictail.com/product/count-to-five

Use my referral link and you might even get 10% off... https://tic.tl/eqkZP (I get nothing but a 10% off coupon for my next order in return, so not doing much good on this one!)

$290 USD shipped to the UK. Obviously may incur VAT and all that malarkey on this end...
  • I've seen them a few times now, but he's never less than astounding. Mimi is extremely underrated as a vocalist as well.

They've been best in small venues but I saw them at Latitude around the C'mon era and while they ramped the set up a bit for the festival they also did the achingly slow version of 'I Remember' on the second disc of Lifetime of Temporary Relief. At one point Alan started whispering into his guitar and even with the crap festival array I swear he was panning his playing around the tent - just a musician with a supernatural amount of control over his technique and sound at all times!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom