Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Klone alternative? (Or rather- Klone with less mids?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I'll try the Peacekeeper- the shop i work in stocks Thorpy. Thanks guys!
    You work in a guitar shop and have not tried all the pedals in the shop Mind boggled. 
    Fixed that for you.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7334
    does anybody really know the sound of a Klon so well that they can be discriminatory enough to know good from bad??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    does anybody really know the sound of a Klon so well that they can be discriminatory enough to know good from bad??
    I owned an original one for some years that I bought direct way back when. Skip forward many years and I tried a few klones, all seemed good, then it was the 4114 Mythical Overdrive that suddenly made me go "AHH fuck yes this was it" - a definite never sell 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have the EHX Soul Food and using it on Sunday felt it had far too many mids so this thread is interesting to me
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    How about Boss OD3? Got mine from eBay for £35 I think. It's amazing
  • roberty said:
    I've yet to try one of these but it's on my GAS radar, already own an OD-1, SD-2 and OD-2 and I need another yellow dirt box
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    roberty said:
    I've yet to try one of these but it's on my GAS radar, already own an OD-1, SD-2 and OD-2 and I need another yellow dirt box
    Haha I like your attitude :-)

The OD3 is very mild but you can also get an exploding speaker sort of sound by smashing the input with a tube screamer
  • roberty said:
    Not really what I'm after- I basically want a pedal that adds some grit and compresses slightly without altering the EQ in a big way. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    edited February 2019
    roberty said:
    Not really what I'm after- I basically want a pedal that adds some grit and compresses slightly without altering the EQ in a big way. 
    have you tried the blackstone?  it's gosh darn brilliant. It actually has a mid scoop control.
  • bbill335 said:
    roberty said:
    have you tried the blackstone?  it's gosh darn brilliant. It actually has a mid scoop control.
    It's great but too much of a beast for a first-and-always-on
  • roberty said:

Fancy trying this?

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/107387/fs-eqd-speaker-cranker-clone

R.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

As others have said, the Tumnus Deluxe is good.  You might need to use the eq on it though.  I put my acoustic through my pedal board the other day (for delay and reverb) and accidentally left the Tumnus Deluxe on (with the mid knob around 12 or 1 o'clock).  It was all mid range until I turned the pedal off.  It really does emphasise the mids unless you turn the mids right down.  Fundamentally it is still a klone, and the Klon is a very mid heavy pedal.

You might be better off with an Xotic RC Booster.  That's a great boost.  If you turn the gain up, it can add a bit of hair.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7334
    /\ The Cheapo Mosky Golden Horse is a clone of the Tumnus - is almost like for like except the price.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Another serious contender that I forgot to mention is a Boss SD-2 Dual Drive. it has the nicest light sparkly crunch I've heard on any dirt box I've previously owned, using the green crunch channel I set the level to max and increase the gain to taste, only a little bit though! tone about 10-11 o'clock gives a nice bit of pleasing grit and hair to cleans.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    sweet honey overdrive
    very subtle