Revival Drive vs new amp?

What's Hot
I'm probably kidding myself with this one but... 

I have a Princeton at the moment which I love but I'm hankering after a low wattage Plexi  to compliment it.  I was wondering though if I might get away with picking up a Revival Drive to run through the Princeton instead.

Has anyone managed to try the Revival Drive through a Princeton and been able to compare it to a decent Plexi amp, and if so how close did it come? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• koss59koss59 Frets: 846
    Aren’t they the same price as a used Cornell Plexi 5 or whatever it’s called?
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1619
    I have, and the answer is very, very close indeed.

But, having owned a Cornell 18/20 at one point, getting the 7-watter is a decent shout given how much the Origin costs and if a Plexi tone is all you want.

(Of course the Origin is capable of a lot of different OD tones and a magnificent bit of kit.) 

• koss59 said:
    Aren’t they the same price as a used Cornell Plexi 5 or whatever it’s called?
    I can see how you thought it might be  but it's not necessarily a cost saving excerise, not that it would hurt. It would be good to save a bit of space though, and the Revival Drive does seem to offer all sorts of other tones to boot. Having said that I would be depriving myself of the opportunity to run amps in stereo.
  • JohnPerry said:

But, having owned a Cornell 18/20 at one point, getting the 7-watter is a decent shout given how much the Origin costs and if a Plexi tone is all you want.

(Of course the Origin is capable of a lot of different OD tones and a magnificent bit of kit.) 

Cheers John. That's exactly the sort of insight I was looking for.

I used to have a one of the older Plexi  7s and have regretted selling it. One of the newer ones with the additional power setting and a 12" speaker this time for maybe a bit more headroom would be probably make me very happy. BUT as you say the Revival Drive is capable of all sorts of other tones and that is very appealing.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    For a long time despite owning a Marshall half stack I was using a Fender Pro Jr with a Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe for playing out.
    JohnPerry said:

Cheers John. That's exactly the sort of insight I was looking for.

I used to have a one of the older Plexi  7s and have regretted selling it. One of the newer ones with the additional power setting and a 12" speaker this time for maybe a bit more headroom would be probably make me very happy. BUT as you say the Revival Drive is capable of all sorts of other tones and that is very appealing.

Get both. Then you can't be wrong

• JohnPerry said:
    JohnPerry said:

Spoken like a true gashead. :) 

While you are there, is the Revival Drive good for Tweed tones also? 
  • DanR said:
    For a long time despite owning a Marshall half stack I was using a Fender Pro Jr with a Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe for playing out.

There's a lesson there somewhere if we went looking. :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    JohnPerry said:
    JohnPerry said:

Spoken like a true gashead. :) 

While you are there, is the Revival Drive good for Tweed tones also? 

Yes, the bigger tweeds certainly, though actually it does not quite nail a driven 5e3 like my Bearfoot Syod3 does. Not sure why. Maybe I just haven't managed to dial it in yet but I guess I would have found it by now. 

Its forte is Marshall and Fender tones, clean and driven, but it can replicate an Ac30/BadCat/Matchless-type too with some EQing.

I would get the Custom if you can stretch to it. Good to have all the EQ options

• @JohnPerry ;;  I snagged a 1x12 Plexi 7 yesterday. The speaker is 2 inches bigger but the cabinet is about twice the size of 1x10 version. It sounds huge as a result. I think it's going to be too much for home use, but we'll see.
  • This might be a bit left field but wouldn't an Atomic Ampli Firebox be a potential answer to this? Multiple amp choices including the ones you've mentioned
  • So, I've got a really dumb question...

Is the Revival Drive an actual amp ?

That is, could it be used as a back up with just a 1x12 speaker for example ? Or as a 2nd 'amp' in a 2 amp set up ?
  • So, I've got a really dumb question...

Is the Revival Drive an actual amp ?

That is, could it be used as a back up with just a 1x12 speaker for example ? Or as a 2nd 'amp' in a 2 amp set up ?
    I don't think it has any kind of power amp, but can be plugged straight into a desk, iirc
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    You’ll still need a power amp or run it to your di for authentic amp tones.
  • preston61 said:
    This might be a bit left field but wouldn't an Atomic Ampli Firebox be a potential answer to this? Multiple amp choices including the ones you've mentioned

I've not tried any of the Atomic stuff. Interesting..