Thoughts on the new Orange Pedal Baby 100 ?

What's Hot
JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
edited January 2019 in Amps
Saw the Pedal Baby 100 announced in the NAMM 2109 coverage.

Seems like a good power amp for modellors (or even a standby amp)

Anybody heard one or got any views on it ?
Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12303
    Dave Simpson in YouTube does a good review, basically a loud and clean pedal base but not great and he’s a big Orange fan, no fx loop for a start...
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Heard the demos they are a great idea...I don’t use modellers, but if you have an preamp pedal or some kind dirt with EQ at the of the effects chain then you can get the sound you want out of it.

at the price I think they’re gonna kill a lot of the market that quilter and similar units have been taking
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17597
    tFB Trader
    Dave Simpson in YouTube does a good review, basically a loud and clean pedal base but not great and he’s a big Orange fan, no fx loop for a start...

Why would you need an FX loop on a power amp?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

I've been using a pre-production model as a bass amp for smallish gigs (ie all of my gigs...) for several months now and it's been great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Well I don’t know cos Dave sez
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Having just bought a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 for about the same price, I'm left wondering why anybody would even consider the Orange. Apart from anything, the SD's active EQ appears to be much more effective than the EQ in the Orange.
    <space for hire>
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537

I wish he would bang on about the lack of FX loop in his vid more - my goodness that was a long slog!
    dindude said:

I wish he would bang on about the lack of FX loop in his vid more - my goodness that was a long slog!
    You should never confuse me with someone who knows what they’re talking about
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Does look a good idea but it's kinda redundant with the SD Power Stage amps out there, plus the Quilter stuff. I mean I have a Tone Block 201 so not sure why I would want one of these.

On a similar note, Hilbish are releasing a 700w 'pedalboard friendly' amp sometime this year with full EQ settings on which I am very interested in.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jalapeno said:
    Saw the Pedal Baby 100 announced in the NAMM 2109 coverage.
    Time traveller ;)

Bye!

Dopesick said:
    Does look a good idea but it's kinda redundant with the SD Power Stage amps out there, plus the Quilter stuff. I mean I have a Tone Block 201 so not sure why I would want one of these.

On a similar note, Hilbish are releasing a 700w 'pedalboard friendly' amp sometime this year with full EQ settings on which I am very interested in.
    Why would anyone want a 700W amp?
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    jpfamps said:
    Dopesick said:

As I'm sure you know, PA manufactures, like car audio 'watts' mean very little.  My DXR10 is rated at 1100 Watts, and yes it's loud, but take the rating with a pinch of salt
  • John_A said:
    jpfamps said:
    Dopesick said:

As I'm sure you know, PA manufactures, like car audio 'watts' mean very little.  My DXR10 is rated at 1100 Watts, and yes it's loud, but take the rating with a pinch of salt
    Does it go up to 11? 
  • John_A said:
    jpfamps said:
    Dopesick said:

Does it go up to 11? 
    I believe the Headrush FRFR does go up to 11.

Which is 1 louder.
    John_A said:
    jpfamps said:
    Dopesick said:

PA speakers are usually less efficient than guitar speakers, and PA amps shouldn't be driven into clipping (although most DJs would disagree with this notion), so I can understand why you want that power in a PA speaker.

Also the DXR10 is an active PA speaker so the amp and speaker can be matched for power handling.

Having a 700W amp on your board that has the capability of destroying most guitar cabs is not a great idea in my view.
  • jpfamps said:

Having a 700W amp on your board that has the capability of destroying most guitar cabs is not a great idea in my view.
    As long as the user understands how the power is handled through the cab it should be fine. If it's a class D amp it'll probably be 700w into 4 ohms. Most guitar cabs are 8 or 16 ohms. So run into potentially 2 16ohm cabs, that 700w probably isn't overpowered?
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Yeah I should've said before that the amp I mentioned was primarily made for bass but can be used for guitar as well (oh and it's solid state obviously).

I used a bass cab with my Quilter head at the weekend - will DEFINITELY be doing it again, sounded amaaaazing.
    jpfamps said:

As long as the user understands how the power is handled through the cab it should be fine. If it's a class D amp it'll probably be 700w into 4 ohms. Most guitar cabs are 8 or 16 ohms. So run into potentially 2 16ohm cabs, that 700w probably isn't overpowered?

I've plenty of evidence that some people don't.......

eg I once had a phone call from a bass player who said his amp had stopped working.

It was a 1000W class D amp.

He said he's tested it through both his cabs and no sound came out.

The amp was fine.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom