Why is Hendrix so revered amongst guitarists?

What's Hot

Comments

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
    Lixarto said:
    He was nought but a poor man's Stephen Stills.
    I like Hendrix, but I love Stills. One of the most underrated guitarists, I think - acoustic or electric. Some of the Manassas stuff is fantastic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So what should I be listening to, as listening to Electric ladyland, and apart from crosstown traffic which was catchy, it's been quite tedious and a bit of a row.
    Some of it reminds me of cream at their most indulgent. 

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7140
    edited April 2014
    Great songwriter.

Happened to be a pretty good musician as well.

You can hear his Dylan influences and his imagery, back this up with solid chord progressions and lead flourishes.

Then add the flair with FX and control of his amps / guitars.

i.e.

After all jacks are in their boxes
    And the clowns have all gone to bed
    You can hear happiness staggering on down the street
    Footprints dressed in red

And the wind whispers Mary

A broom is drearily sweeping
    Up the broken pieces of yesterday's life
    Somewhere a queen is weeping
    Somewhere a king has no wife

And the wind cries Mary

The traffic lights they turn a blue tomorrow
    And shine their emptiness down on my bed
    The tiny island sags downstream
    Cause the life that they lived is dead

And the wind screams Mary

Will the wind ever remember
    The names it has blown in the past
    And with its crutch its old age and its wisdom
    It whispers "no, this will be the last"

And the wind cries Mary

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    koneguitarist;221488" said:
    So what should I be listening to, as listening to Electric ladyland, and apart from crosstown traffic which was catchy, it's been quite tedious and a bit of a row.Some of it reminds me of cream at their most indulgent. 
    Just listen to All Along the Watchtower over and over. Almost a model of restraint but for my money his most powerful studio recording.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7140
    For me its more than his guitar playing.

A great voice for someone who was so shy and hated his own voice. 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Born in 1990, me, and I like him.  

He has an amazing voice and wrote some brilliant songs.  Unlike Clapton, or the newer 'blues heroes'  who play tasteful rubbish, he had real charisma and doesn't bore me.  

His rig is constantly on the verge of explosion - I've no idea how he controlled the feedback!

I don't listen to him much, but he was amazing.  
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    edited April 2014

He completely changed the landscape on what was possible with the electric guitar, I don't think anyone else at that time had the vision and courage to take the instrument to such extremes. He literately blew the door off the hinges with his experimentation and dynamics. 

When I think of all the other famous guitarists at the time: Beck, Clapton, Lee, Bloomfield etc, they were all great, but very conventional players (well perhaps not Beck). Just listen to Voodoo Chile (a slight return) and it's an awe inspiring,  kaleidoscopic explosion of sound that was truly ground-breaking at the time.

One of the few tracks that still blows me away every time I hear it.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    Skarloey said:
    koneguitarist said:
    So what should I be listening to, as listening to Electric ladyland, and apart from crosstown traffic which was catchy, it's been quite tedious and a bit of a row.Some of it reminds me of cream at their most indulgent. 
    Just listen to All Along the Watchtower over and over.
    And 1983...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    Machine Gun

Nuff said
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12303
    He was the real deal, he just had it in him, he couldnt have been anything but. More than just a great guitarist, he was a musical genius, Listen to Electric Ladyland if you don't believe me. 
    Sounds corny but while I hack and flounder around at music, that motherfucker was put on this earth to do it.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    I think we all have some artist your supposed to like but don't get for me it's Springsteen for the other guitarist in my band it's the Beatles. Any innovative player is of his time so when we look back there are going to be people who don't get them and other people who are nostalgic for that artists golden period.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • vizviz Frets: 10689
    Totally agree - that's why it's art, it's subjective.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • AlanPAlanP Frets: 54
    But he *is* the man.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    AlanP said:
    But he *is* the man.
    Well, he was a man.
    Now he is moon dust.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited April 2014
    It took me a long time to get into Jimi as a kid, as he just wasn't technically proficient enough to inspire me and dare I say, a bit boring.  When I got it,  I got it though, he could play and sing on his own and you would have been transfixed, he fills every frequency and void with his playing and singing and creates a 4 dimensional effect, more than a whole band could.  That is really hard to do I now appreciate.  Blues players often have a back up band and are one liners, rockstars have a backup etc etc.  Jimi, Rhoads and EVH really fill the void, non stop, no rest, it is just wall to wall music, questions and answers, rhythms, tension and atmosphere.  Only country players can even get close to that IMO, but all their stuff mainly sounds the same and often they have a big band backup.  Even if country players can do that.  Can they entertain on the level Jimi could, or are they more niche and less uplifting?  His rhythm work especially is brilliant.  Most players and band members put out sinuous single lines that cut with the rest of the band to produce a whole.  He was a band on his own.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    What everyone else has said about Hendrix, plus
    • He could take a sequence of notes, almost an arbitrary one such as the riff that begins Purple Haze and play it in such a way as to have it making sense.
    • He could blast out a power chord and milliseconds later be making the guitar scream at the high end of the neck: sometimes the lower strings of the chord were still ringing but even on the occasions when they weren't, you thought they still were.
    • He could re-interpret, nay, redefine someone else's song: prime examples Johnny B Goode, All along the watchtower
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited April 2014
    And his soloing was just as void filling and efficient and cut a meaning to everyone and everyone who heard it could identify with it.  Not too technical, not too intelligent, packed with emotion.  It was soulful. His timing, off timing, rhythm, grace and soulful tones were just about as perfect as you can get I reckon and it just seemed to come out naturally off the cuff, although I guess born out of endless practice, professional rhythm playing and talent.  And there wasn't even a millisecond of disjuncture in any of his playing, it was if it rolled out without any thought process whatsoever without adhering to too many formulaic rules and he went to places others feared to tread.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    Saw him at the IOW what can I say what a Guitarist

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    edited April 2014
    I was lucky enough to have a mother who loved Hendrix, Pink Floyd etc so had these sounds from an early age.  Knowing the tiny bit that I do about guitar craft I certainly don't see him as a technical genius. But what I do see very clearly is the person who really pushed the sonic boundaries.  At the time Pete Townsend was wild in his antics (smashing etc), but his guitar work was still fairly conventional.  Jimi Hendrix took good guitar craft and just pushed.  Songs, guitar playing and showmanship.  This is why he has his place as a 'legend'. My partner (a fine classical violinist and bassoonist) thinks he sounds a bit indulgent. To be completely honest when I see and am and told how wonderful Van Halen and Vai etc are, have they actually done any more (apart from speed) for the rock genre than the likes of Hendrix and afterwards Townsend and Page ripping it up before them?  Just MHO.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    Great art divides opinion. And Jimi played art
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom