Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why is Hendrix so revered amongst guitarists?

What's Hot

Comments

• Yeah but 13 pages later !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankus said:
    Anyway thought this was finished ?
    It was pretty washed up before it started ;)
    :D
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Yeah but 13 pages later !
    ... well, you know those DIY relic'd Squiers you'll see from time to time on eBay? it's looking like one of them ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    It's still going cause the pot has been well and truly stirred. ;)
  • My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Hank had a big willy, but back then the black man myth was still being perpetuated.  Hank was scared of being out sized.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    This thread will never end.  Democracy doesn't work.  Vote UKIP.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2346
    Sambostar said:
    Erm....I thought music was about people relating to it and liking it? Saying that Jimmy Bryant and Speedy West were better than Jimi with their 2 dimensional on off technique is like saying that this guy IS THE BEST GUITARIST IN THE WORLD...How stupid
    It took me about 2 minutes to realise that that red/black mouse at the bottom left of the screen wasn't a toaster :))
    Evilmags said:
    Hendrix practically invented Rock guitar in terms of putting the whole thing together and unlike EVH never released a track as epically shit as Jump.

Hey now, what's wrong with jump? It's not my favourite VH track by a long shot, but still. And even if you don't like it, most good bands have the odd dodgy song.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I agree, I like Jump too.  Vote UKIP.
  • Dave_Mc said:
    Hey now, what's wrong with jump?

As much as I love Eddie that face he pulls when he looks down into the camera after the tapping run in the video to Jump is kind of indefensible.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2346
    :))

Never noticed that before :))
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    I've spent the afternoon listening to Nirvana - Nevermind. I don't like Nirvana, never have, but I spotted it in a charity shop yesterday and for two quid I felt I should give it another go.

Nope, still don't actually like it. Kurt Cobain was also not a very good player, technically - even on record, and some of the live performance stuff I've seen is very poor... although he was probably out of his head most of the time. He was also not really that original - there's nothing very groundbreaking in *what* he plays, or the sounds he uses.

But it's *how* he plays that's important - what still comes across is the raw energy and emotion in his playing, singing and songs. And for whatever reason, it touched millions of people in the early 1990s. I can't particularly explain that, but it did - Nirvana had a *huge* influence on rock music and even outside music. They changed the world - regardless that there were other grunge bands doing a similar thing at the same time, it was Nirvana who made the breakthrough.

And I would have to say that he was a big influence on my playing, both directly and indirectly, despite me not liking the music - big dynamic changes, discordant chord progressions, lack of conventional soloing, and rough sounds have become part of most rock music made since then, and totally overridden what came before.

So if I don't like Nirvana or quite get why they connected with so many people, does that mean that Kurt Cobain isn't an important guitarist? Obviously not. Coincidentally he was left handed and came from (near) Seattle, too.

That is all :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    Nevermind isn't a very good album and never has been. In Utero was miles better in terms of songwriting and production. 

Cobain is an important guitarist. No doubt about it. 

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10393
    For the Jump fans, skip to 2:16 for isolated solo, awesome accurate technique

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @ICBM

Yet more wisdom, Sir.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16290
    Oddly enough my 18 year old son told me he had been having a conversation with his mates about the most important rock star of all time. Random sample of 18 year olds concluded Kurt Cobain. My first band was supposedly Grunge, although I can't stand Nirvana I guess I would have to give Kurt some credit as an influence as he was indirectly responsible for me being in a band. Although at that time I had a lot of curly hair and a white strat so I used to get called Hendrix. Still have the strat, the hair though... :(
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBM said:
    I've spent the afternoon listening to Nirvana - Nevermind. I don't like Nirvana, never have, but I spotted it in a charity shop yesterday and for two quid I felt I should give it another go.

Nope, still don't actually like it. Kurt Cobain was also not a very good player, technically - even on record, and some of the live performance stuff I've seen is very poor... although he was probably out of his head most of the time. He was also not really that original - there's nothing very groundbreaking in *what* he plays, or the sounds he uses.

But it's *how* he plays that's important - what still comes across is the raw energy and emotion in his playing, singing and songs. And for whatever reason, it touched millions of people in the early 1990s. I can't particularly explain that, but it did - Nirvana had a *huge* influence on rock music and even outside music. They changed the world - regardless that there were other grunge bands doing a similar thing at the same time, it was Nirvana who made the breakthrough.

And I would have to say that he was a big influence on my playing, both directly and indirectly, despite me not liking the music - big dynamic changes, discordant chord progressions, lack of conventional soloing, and rough sounds have become part of most rock music made since then, and totally overridden what came before.

So if I don't like Nirvana or quite get why they connected with so many people, does that mean that Kurt Cobain isn't an important guitarist? Obviously not. Coincidentally he was left handed and came from (near) Seattle, too.

That is all :).

So much wisdom.  Like a Roman dodging, Hadrian's wall hopping guitar Yoda.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    Danny1969 said:
    For the Jump fans, skip to 2:16 for isolated solo, awesome accurate technique

Interesting to hear the solo is 2 different takes spliced together. At 2.24 as the fast descending run begins you can hear the note from the previous lick still sounding. Never noticed that whilst listening to the full track. Still a great solo though.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10393

Interesting to hear the solo is 2 different takes spliced together. At 2.24 as the fast descending run begins you can hear the note from the previous lick still sounding. Never noticed that whilst listening to the full track. Still a great solo though.
    Good spot and yeah your right, I never noticed it either on the record with the whole mix playing. I always thought the Beat It solo'ed was stitched from comps as well though
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    I loved Nirvana when they came out but I don't listen to them at all these days.

Pixies on the other hand...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom