What multi power supply will do 18v 300ma?

TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7415
Do we know of a pedalboard power supply that will do 18v 300ma as well as other isolated outputs ofllfor more regular pedals? 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Strymon zuma will give you 250ma at 18v if that works for you some pedals say 300ma but run fine on 250 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7415
    Red ones are better. 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    edited February 2019
    TimmyO said:
    Do we know of a pedalboard power supply that will do 18v 300ma as well as other isolated outputs ofllfor more regular pedals? 
    The GigRig doubler high-current adapter does exactly that. You can connect it to the 9v outlet (needs 150mA correction: 600mA) of most power supplies and get 18v @ 300mA.

R.

Edit: @ICBM pointed out I had the calculation the wrong way around.
    TimmyO said:
    The GigRig doubler high-current adapter does exactly that. You can connect it to the 9v outlet (needs 150mA) of most power supplies and get 18v @ 300mA.

R.
    I'd forgotten about those - I had one some years back. iirc though it needs to pull more current than that
    Red ones are better. 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    edited February 2019
    TimmyO said:
    TimmyO said:
    The GigRig doubler high-current adapter does exactly that. You can connect it to the 9v outlet (needs 150mA correction: 600mA)  of most power supplies and get 18v @ 300mA.

R.
    I'd forgotten about those - I had one some years back. iirc though it needs to pull more current than that

It might need slightly more 9V current (maybe 180-200mA correction 650-750mA) depending on how efficient it is.

R.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    edited February 2019
    300mA at 18V will require 600mA at 9V, or you’ve just bypassed the laws of physics.

Power = voltage x current, and you can’t get more power out than you put in.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    300mA at 18V will require 600mA at 9V, or you’ve just bypassed the laws of physics.
    Doh - brainfart. I did the calculation the wrong way round. I blame the pub :)

R.
    ICBM said:

Power = voltage x current, and you can’t get more power out than you put in.
    That's for the gigeig doohickey right?

A series cable adapter would let 2 9v 300ma outlets double to 18v 300ma though? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    TimmyO said:

A series cable adapter would let 2 9v 300ma outlets double to 18v 300ma though? 
    Yes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9530
    edited February 2019
    The Strymon Ojai and Zuma are silent and superb
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6130
    tFB Trader
    What pedal is it for? Often these figures needed are higher than what is actually required. Sometimes it’s only the current on first startup that gets close to the quoted figure and even then there is a safety margin. So typically a quoted 300mA requirement actually is closer to 250mA on startup and then can idle closer to 180-200mA

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Although Gigrig states 300mA, they recommend double the stated requirement. For example I have an old supa nova to power a neo ventilator a single unit does not supply enough mA, even though the mA would appear sufficient, and so I have two wired up (I think the modern ones supply more). 
    A pedal tech built me a small 18v supply with a large mA to use with my Gigrig power system. 
    Why is the mA supply low on many isolated power supply systems? The effectrode power supply is the only high mA isolated I know. I’ve had my fair share of 500mA pedals too so why aren’t there more on the market?
    edited February 2019
    ThorpyFX said:
    What pedal is it for? Often these figures needed are higher than what is actually required. Sometimes it’s only the current on first startup that gets close to the quoted figure and even then there is a safety margin. So typically a quoted 300mA requirement actually is closer to 250mA on startup and then can idle closer to 180-200mA

It's something I'm considering buying - but I have managed to find one reference to it working on a 250ma rated supply, Soni think I'll use an inexpensive nseries cable and combine 2 9v 259ma outputs i have and test it with that before choosing a permanent power solution - thanks for the pointer 
    Red ones are better. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    edited February 2019
    Cioks Ciokolate has 9v at 600mA so use a voltage doubler and it’ll work.

I think people Forget that charge pumps (voltage doublers) consume current themselves. So it *might* work :) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    TimmyO said:
    I think people Forget that charge pumps (voltage doublers) consume current themselves. So it *might* work :) 
    Put 2 x 9v 400ma together and then double the voltage? 

Can you do that?  Then you will definitely have more than 300mA
    TimmyO said:
    Put 2 x 9v 400ma together and then double the voltage? 

Can you do that?  Then you will definitely have more than 300mA
    yep - a serial cable (which has no active circuitry so doesn't draw any current) and 2 of those outputs would achieve 18v at 400ma 
    Red ones are better. 
    It seems happy on 18v 250ma - serial adapter on my little Cioks (although I’ll need a longer term solution as that only leaves me with 2 other outputs and I may need more - but not much) 

https://imgur.com/a/rdeM3Md
    Red ones are better.