Fender PM-2 Deluxe? What budget small-body acoustic..

What's Hot
lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
edited February 2019 in Acoustics
What are your thoughts on these parlour guitars. I am looking for a small body to play at home.

Also interested in recommendations for any other similar acoustics. Preferably solid guitars that will mellow with age
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I tried one against the Gretsch G9521 000 size and much preferred the Gretsch. Bigger warmer sound. Consider also a faith. Never tried but people really rate them
    for me, the paramount lacked depth, sounded a bit thin and lacked character 
    it could have been a dud though as the specs look good. 

• That's interesting, cheers @andy79 I am not looking for anything fancy so the more stripped back the better imo.
    The Gretsch is hardly stripped back but it’s a good guitar 
    I nearly bought it but I have way to many smaller guitars 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    edited February 2019
    Have a look at the Alvarez range. AP 70 (spruce top) AP 66 (Mahogany top). Delta 00 and Blues 51 ( (both burst finish).
    Alvarez tend to go under the radar a bit in the UK but have a good reputation over the pond.
  • Kilgore said:
    Have a look at the Alvarez range. AP 70 (spruce top) AP 66 (Mahogany top). Delta 00 and Blues 51 ( (both burst finish).
    Alvarez tend to go under the radar a bit in the UK but have a good reputation over the pond.
    Thanks mate, yeah they look good. So much choice out there for this type of guitar now..

• Changed title now to get a more broad opinion on the market in general. I would rather buy a second hand "worn in" acoustic. Pricewise, looking at sub 500.

I know there are many out there from gretsch to washburn, fender to tanglewood, so just trying to get some census on what to aim for..
    What kind of use? General noodling? 
    Ive plugged it before but mansons still have that recording king rnj for sale at £400. Solid spruce maple nick Lucas copy. I have one and it’s superb. Really is. 
  • Andy79 said:
    Ive plugged it before but mansons still have that recording king rnj for sale at £400. Solid spruce maple nick Lucas copy. I have one and it’s superb. Really is. 
    Just home enjoyment mate, so no need even for plugging in..
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2326
    I can't remember which Fender paramount I tried, but I didn't much like it (admittedly, this was a few years ago and they may have got better, plus I'm mainly an electric player so bear that in mind!)- the Furch I tried next to it (which was a similar price, though they've gone up a bit now) blew it away.

How about Faith? The ones I've tried have all been very nice, and the Mercury should be around the size you're after.
  • Andy79 said:
    Andy79 said:
    Just checked that RK out and it does look lovely. What's the neck depth like? Slim, or more rounded?
    It’s rounded C not super slim. If you’re interested I can measure the depth of mine when I get back. 1 3/4 nut width for sure 
  • Yeah that would be great thanks!
    It’s around 22mm at the first fret so medium C I will say. 
    My thoughts. The exterior finish is near flawless. The sunburst is fantastic. And a nitro finish (!) The figuring on the maple is superb 
    the interior bracing is a bit rough but they are scalloped 
    The mid range and bass are really snappy and punchy. Pretty powerful 
    Hard to say if it’s the deep body or maple helping with this. Maybe both
    It can’t be described as rounded and warm like a hog body. It has its own thing going on. 
    Some on line commenters have described the tone as a bit thin. I think they confuse that with the thwack of maple 

one slight downside side is the weight. It feels a tad over built. 

If the headstock is too much OTT then do as I did, run it through a bandsaw to straighten things up. I’m not even joking. I don’t plan to sell it so whatever. 

In a a sea of spruce hog middle of the roaders this really stands up and out 
    A few Chinese factories are making some very respectable guitars. RK, in my opinion is one of them. 
  • Ok great thanks Andy 
  • Don’t forget to test drive a Sigma .Really good budget guitars with plenty of choice.
  • I've got a Faith Naked Mercury. When buying it I tried everything I could get my hands on for under £600. The Faith was by far my favourite, I had to go to to £1000 before I found something to equal it. 

The wee Faith is brilliant (though a set up will make it even better). I've had it several years now, the tone has mellowed in that time & the top has darkened from anemic paleness to a beautiful golden hue .

If you're not keen on the minimalist vibe of the Naked, go further up the range- I've yet to play a bad one .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The best one I tried so far was the Art & Lutherie Roadhouse. It felt so nice in the hand. Felt worn in and played with it's rolled fretboard edges..