Best place for free Helix patches/IRs etc...

What's Hot
SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 335
I'm new to this Helix lark and will freely admit that I'm not exactly the most tech savvy of people.

While I'll eventually be making all my own patches from scratch, I was wondering if anyone can recommend somewhere that I can get some free patches/IRs to get me started while I figure this thing out.

I'm more into heavy rock/metal but also don't mind cleaner stuff too. Not after anything too out there but I'm happy to give most things a go.

Thanks in advance for any and all help anyone can offer!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• neilgneilg Frets: 94
    edited February 2019
    I think Jason Sadites posts most if not all his presets on the Line 6 Custom Tone site.  You can't really go wrong with his.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    edited February 2019
    Ownhammer does a free Mesa 4x12 IR pack which is good to get you going. Redwirez does a free Greenback 4x12 pack as well which is pretty decent. Between the two you'll have enough to get you going for vintage and modern tones. 

I tend to stick to the pre mixed IRs otherwise it's a deep rabbit hole which I couldn't be bothered to get into. So long as you know roughly what kind of speakers you like then it's a case of picking which microphones and positions give you the tone you're after - might take a bit of trial and error on this part.

On real amps my current favourite pair is to use an SM57 and MD421 together, both just on the cap edge about and inch off the grille. Seems to give a good representation of the sound and those mics compliment each other really nicely. I'm now generally finding ribbons to be too dark and wooly but 57+121 can be a good combination too.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7391
    Don't chase free patches just because. It's never ending. 

Check out The Helix Channnel, Jason sadites, Glenn Delaune, Marco Fanton

They all have paid and free stuff that is VERY good
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Marco Fantons presets are excellent and dialled in for live use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 335
    I promise I won't be going down rabbits holes as it's more about learning how things what and getting used to the unit.

I've created a decent-ish patch from scratch that I'm pretty happy with. I've even added an EQ/Boost stomp to it for when I switch to a Strat. It was all a lot easier than I'd expected it to be.

Sincere thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!
    Bit of a random question...

There's quite a few effects/options that are listed but are in faded text and can't be selected.

I guess there's a reason for that but what do I need to do to unlock them? Is it an upgrade or do I need to pay a fee?

I'm running the latest software, if that makes a difference?
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Usually means you’re out of DSP...
    Are you using a Stomp or regular Helix?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24169
    Run the top path into the bottom one to split the DSP load.

Highlight the top right and then you can select to run it into the bottom path.

Then Use it as a giant single path and spread out the DSP heavy items.

And learn to use your Snapshots for changes.
    Using the full floor Helix.

Thanks for all that...I have a full spare afternoon ahead for Helix fun and games!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7391
    Path 1 (or 1a and 1b if you split it) use one DSP chip and path 2 (etc) use the other DSP chip. Bug patches feed path 1 into oath 2 and spread the blocks between them 
    Red ones are better. 
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    I've found this quite useful as a guide to how much dsp each block uses up.
    http://benvesco.com/store/helix-dsp-allocations/

To be honest, I won't use many complex patches but I couldnt figure out why some of the stompboxes/effects couldn't be selected...I thought I maybe needed to upload something.

I'man idiot and still early days with it which isn't a great combo to be honest!