Doobie Brothers - Sky Arts

guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
in Music tFB Trader
Did anyone see the 2 hour plus show on Sky Arts last weekend on the Doobie Brothers

Glad I watched it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SRichSRich Frets: 762
    edited February 2019
    I watched it yesterday and it filled in quite a few gaps in my knowledge of the Doobies......to be fair, I'd been a fan of the band since 'Toulouse Street' and have all the vinyl (and then replaced several with cassettes and then CD's) up to 'Minute by Minute'. They went off into the sunset for me at that point.

I wasn't aware of the Tom Johnston 'health' issues and his sabbatical but welcomed Michael McDonald's voice and direction.......having been a lifelong Steely Dan fan. The Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter freak out guitar coverage was very funny and I could see how his input became less appreciated.

Worth a watch. 

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    edited February 2019 tFB Trader

Agree @SRich ;; - I thought all the guys came across nicely - No ego or dick head nature - Just good muso's who enjoyed what they did and glad to be allowed to do it

I knew some of the story but not all of it - I assumed Michael McDonald had already some thing of a solo career before joining the D Bros - But unheard of at that time - And yes what a voice

Love the charity work and the fact that they can still gig and enjoy it today

Even the manager was part of the crew  and enjoyed the friendship and journey

Forgot how many PRS Guitars Tom Played and also an early muso to get into them

Glad I watched it - Only have a couple of albums - So a) will get them out today and b) get some more
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    spotted this on the planner and now have it downloaded on demand. 

Took my dad to see them a few years ago when they released their last album and they were incredible. 
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    The other thing I always assume was that the main voice was Pat Simmons....but as we know it was Tom Johnston.

My ex lady wife saw them on the Warner Brothers junket with Little Feat....lady with taste.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    tFB Trader
    SRich said:
    The other thing I always assume was that the main voice was Pat Simmons....but as we know it was Tom Johnston.

My ex lady wife saw them on the Warner Brothers junket with Little Feat....lady with taste.
    that would have been something with Little Feat

I was lucky enough to see Little Feat support the Who at Charlton Football Club around 1976 - The pity was that I was 16 and my first gig and in reality I knew nothing about who Little Feat were - So yes I've seen them but can't recall a thing, other than it pee'd down all day - I wish I'd been a bit older now o appreciated who/what they were
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    In Doobies related news, the Farewell Tour album is FINALLY available on Spotify (may have been there a short while but wasn't there last time I checked). 

Although it's questionable as to the overdubbing that's been done on it, it's an absolute belter and one of my favourite memories growing up was listening to that in my dad's car.