Custom sound cub 30 reverb

What's Hot
Just came across a Custom sound cub reverb amp. Looks a bit like an old session amp with the carpet covering. It needs some tlc and a speaker change/recone. There's no mark8ngs on the speaker, but I'm sure it's a Fane 10". Looks quite well made. Anyone else know much about them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This is a link to an old ad for a Custom sound cub reverb amp.....https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/custom-sound-cub-30-reverb-guitar-307259208
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Yes, it’s a typical old-school solid-state amp from the early 80s - same generation as the Sessionette, and as you can see, very similar design and construction - only smaller.

If the speaker has fallen apart it will just need a new one - it won’t be worth re-coning - and probably the pots and jacks cleaned, and it should work fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Can’t help really other than to say one of the first decent amps I owned back in the 80’s was a Custom Sound. Similar looking to the one in your link although I’m pretty sure mine had a 12” speaker. It had nice cleans and a decent onboard reverb.
  • Is there a way to find out speaker ohms for replacement? The speaker doesn't have a ohm Mark on it. 

ICBM said:
    Yes, it’s a typical old-school solid-state amp from the early 80s - same generation as the Sessionette, and as you can see, very similar design and construction - only smaller.

If the speaker has fallen apart it will just need a new one - it won’t be worth re-coning - and probably the pots and jacks cleaned, and it should work fine.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    If you have a multimeter, measure it - the reading will be about 2/3 to 3/4 of the impedance.

If it’s a Fane it may be printed on a small round sticker, usually bright green - these often fall off, so have a look in the bottom of the cabinet!

If you have no other way of knowing, assume 8 ohms - it’s very unlikely to be 16, and if it’s 4 then it will be safe to replace it with an 8, but not the other way round. My best guess is that it’s 8 anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    If you have a multimeter, measure it - the reading will be about 2/3 to 3/4 of the impedance.

If it’s a Fane it may be printed on a small round sticker, usually bright green - these often fall off, so have a look in the bottom of the cabinet!

If you have no other way of knowing, assume 8 ohms - it’s very unlikely to be 16, and if it’s 4 then it will be safe to replace it with an 8, but not the other way round. My best guess is that it’s 8 anyway.
    Thanks I'll have a look for the sticker, otherwise I'll find an 8ohm. Thanks for the tip
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    is not carpet - is Grey Tweed!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    57Deluxe said:
    is not carpet - is Grey Tweed!

Sorry for my terminology! It looks very cool, I'm having it serviced. Looking forward to hearing it,  I've heard good thing's about these lesser known amps.