Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitarist subbing on bass

What's Hot
tomajohatomajoha Frets: 905
What are the forums thoughts on the pro's and con's of a guitarist doing a bit of bass work, one evening a week, to help out a local band - will this help or hinder my guitar playing?

The material isnt complex but still fun - 50's walking lines etc. Is the general consensus that any time not playing your main instrument is a distraction or that it will have a net positive effect?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2285
    Go for it! It will make you a better, more rounded musician.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    I think it can only help, you'll be playing /learning from a bassist perspective learning how it all fits together and as you
     said 'Its fun' which is all that matters really.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I've been learning bass as a second instrument and I think it helps in that you have to focus on your technique very carefully. So it brings you to an awareness of what your hands are doing. Also there are a lot of arpeggios and you'll have to think carefully about positioning them because efficiency becomes all the more crucial on a longer neck 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I just bought my first bass at the weekend and already it's had an effect on my guitar playing. Switching between the two I'm much more aware of rhythm than previously. 

I can't imagine it would do any harm whatsoever. 
  • Everyone after playing bass when I go back to guitar I feel like I can play much faster and more accurately.   Maybe because the fretboard feuds so tiny or my fingers are more stretched out etc. 
  • Been playing Bass for about 6 months, been playing guitar for 20+ years....

I'll echo whats been said already...  be more aware of a drummer and rhythmical timing, linear scales and walking lines, note relationships, breaking out of certain boxes etc... it's help me.

I play Bass in an originals hard rock band, and have just done my first full gig in an AC/DC tribute on Bass, great fun :-)
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• It'll probably help.  The only downside is that guitars feel tiny when you go back to them, especially anything Gibson scale.
  • I've been playing a bit of bass for a mate's metalcore band and I really appreciate the role now, you glue the band together in a way, by holding the groove and harmony. I just make sure any riffs are played tight and driving choruses with solid groove.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Bass is different. It’s role in the band is different. It seems simple on the surface, and getting a decent baseline going is relatively easy.

However, the skills you really seem to develop are quite different to guitar - rhythm, timing, locking in with the drummer, supporting the song, understanding when less is more and how to position fills, runs, accents etc to really help to emphasise other parts of a song.. 

But...

All of those things just improve your musicianship. It may have an impact on your guitar playing. It’ll help you understand the context of bass in a band. At the very least, it’ll help you to see when a guitarist is being bloody annoying and overplaying :D
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    I found it a big help.

Playing drums even more so.
    I found it a big help.

Playing drums even more so.
    So much truth in that second sentence there. Drums totally changed my musical outlook - so much value add with it!
  • It's only like answering questions with one word answers instead of using full sentences ;) 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    It's only like answering questions with one word answers instead of using full sentences ;) 
    No.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    It definitely makes you a better musician, just make sure you don't play like a frustrated guitarist!
    p90fool said:
    It definitely makes you a better musician, just make sure you don't play like a frustrated guitarist!
    Yeah make sure you join all us frustrated bass players ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited February 2019
    Do it. It gives you a different perspective on groove and what's going on in a song and is particularly nice, and important, too, when you lock in with a good drummer. You're forming the backbone of any band and don't have the looseness of a guitarist's role.

As has been said, try not to play or approach it like a guitarist.

I did this 5 years ago for band featuring quite a few mates. It's now become my regular gig. It helps that Madness and Specials' bass lines are little 'Works of Art' and interesting for a guitarist, but whatever the material, you just need to be solid and enjoy it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72258
    It also means you can buy an amp which has ten times the power :).

Hahahahaha... puny guitar amplifiers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

Plus the fact you are far more likely to cause involuntary bowel movements
  • ICBM said:

Plus the fact you are far more likely to cause involuntary bowel movements
    Only if you set up with a loose bottom end
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    edited February 2019
    Excellent plan. Enjoy thumping out the low end. You may find that you really enjoy holding the whole band in the pocket. 

And by the way, subbing is to valves as tubes are to depping.